U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM

67,501 posts, read 34,418,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Well the IRS tax code says if you make most all of your money from one source then you are an employee. The legal argument will be if Uber is the source or the uber customer.
Franchise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

67,501 posts, read 34,418,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I guess they're going to have to consider Realtors employees also.

Or all florist employees of 1-800 Flowers, FTD and Teleflora....

Old Today, 07:56 PM

23,155 posts, read 17,126,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Well the IRS tax code says if you make most all of your money from one source then you are an employee. The legal argument will be if Uber is the source or the uber customer.
Which is why you don't do just one of these gigs. There are plenty to choose from. You get your money, equally, from all of them. That way, you are not getting the most of your money from one source.

If you're going to be an IC, you have to play the game. The IRS set it up, you learn it, you play it.

But that's not what this lawsuit is about. It's the state of CA trying to say that if you operate as an IC during the same time a business would run, then you're an "employee", not an IC. Which is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

The good news is, I'm hoping anyway, this will only affect those in CA. Other states don't have this stupid law or regulation, whatever the hell it is. So, hopefully, all the other states where people drive, they won't be affected by this stupidity.

My plan is to keep doing the gig jobs aside from what the other thing that I do, (and I do more than one company on those gig jobs), save it all up and gtho of CA. No wonder so many people don't want to do business here.

Old Today, 08:02 PM

23,155 posts, read 17,126,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
That is pretty good money! There is a lot of misinformation out there - people think that the drivers becoming employees would be good security and more benefits but sounds like it will limit what drivers can make and take away a lot of the liberties enjoyed as a IC. There should be an option for being a IC, but I don't know how they figure these things out, sounds like this employee plan will benefit the drivers who only work a few hours or part-time and not the drivers who work a lot more hours and making good money.
One of the gigs I do will pay the area's minimum wage as a guarantee.

So, let's say, for example, I do Door Dash. I only get paid when I pick up and deliver. So, I could, if I went out too early, sit in a parking lot for 15 minutes waiting for another order - and I don't get anything. Of course, you make that up when it does get busy and you never stop working until you are too tired to do anymore.

But another gig will pay you either the minimum wage where you are located, OR you get the driver pay (and any tips), whichever is more. So, if I wanted to work 40 hours a week, I am guaranteed the minimum wage in my area - which is CA, so it's higher than most other places. However, the driver pay and the tips usually come out much higher than the minimum wage - but if worst case scenario happens, I'm not sitting in a parking lot for a half an hour not making any money.

So, why can't they just do that? Guarantee the min wage in the area, but allow people to still be IC?

As I said before, and as you have now seen, you can make way more as an IC, and you'll be able to afford your own health insurance. And the icing on that cake is that you don't lose your freedom to work as much as you want, whatever day you want.

Oh, and also, that whole "maternity leave" thing: No one is forcing anyone to drive. You only have to make a delivery for each company once in awhile to stay on their platform. I think like at least one every 3 or 4 months. So, you don't need maternity leave as an IC. Just do a fricken single delivery every few months, and you're still on the platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or