U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

44 posts, read 5,718 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's Bernie Sanders way to control population growth? He wants to control it with abortions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

5,412 posts, read 1,073,836 times
Hate is definitely a factor! Though I am curious as to what percent of domestic mass shootings since 1/1/2017 are "I killed them because I hate them!" vs. there being a mental problem (drugs, alcohol, abuse, etc.). What gets even worse is that sometimes a mass shooting could be a product of both. The hate part is also intertwined with free will on choosing to commit a mass shooting.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

47,214 posts, read 34,637,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Mental illness and being raised in a 1 parent family are 2 big factors.
Ireland has the highest incidence of single parenthood and one of the lowest rates of violence in the world.

There are about 90,000 firearms in the population of 300,000. Hunting and competitive shooting are very popular sports. Criteria for gun ownership includes training, testing, physical and mental evaluations and an interview with the local Chief of Police. He will ask why one intends to acquire a firearm. Self defense is not a common response.

The population is relatively homogenous and not much difference in economic classes.

There is an element of organized crime- mostly motorcycle gangs. Recreational drugs are illegal.

Obviously being raised in a single parent household has not had a negative impact on the culture in Iceland.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

14,389 posts, read 6,250,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In 1959, news was a loss leader. No such thing as a for profit 24/7 news cycle.

There was no internet and no social media.

The bomber’s suitcase contained 6 sticks of dynamite. Had he had access to one or more assault weapons and was skilled in the use, the body count might have been far more substantial.

The suicide bomber was an ex con having served multiple prison sentences in Louisiana and Texas. He was an old time safe burgled and familiar with explosives. His ex wife referred to him as a wife beater. Not clear how he had custody of his son. He did not have any records for his son. They shared a small room in a boarding house.

The public wants to know and media delivers.
The body count from six sticks of dynamite would have been substantial if he had been able to get inside the school like he wanted to, and in 1959 he had plenty of access to “assault” weapons. He could have easily ordered them through the mail like Lee Harvey Oswald did. But the point was less media coverage and no copycats.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

10,764 posts, read 6,450,320 times
Some really great responses in here, many of them I think are spot on.

I do think though, it needs to be split up.

School shootings and other. For instance workplace, church , social venue. I feel the the reasons are completely different for the two.

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

47,214 posts, read 34,637,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in the end we have lost respect for human life. and it started with removing prayer from schools, moved on to roe v wade, and the push to late term abortions to be completely legal, to the point of even discussing infanticide.

until we regain that respect for human life, mass shootings will continue.

Most ( 92%) of abortions in the US occur during the first 13 weeks. 1% occur after 21 weeks. Even fewer occur in the 3 rd trimester.

The US rate of abortion is almost half that of Eastern Europe and these countries do not experience gun violence anywhere near the extent that occurs in the US.

Prayer in public schools is increasingly uncommon in OECD countries, yet they do not experience the type of gun violence that occurs in the US.

Prayer in public schools was declared unconstitutional by SCOTUS nearly 60 years ago.

Sensational, high victim count, mass shootings are a relatively recent phenomena.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

530 posts, read 113,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Just saw a YouTube that said there was one mass shooting in the US in the 50's but a whole lot today. And the number one reason given was the "decline of religion."

I think it's because folks that are suicidal are also homicidal, and on the sliding scale of crazy.
I gave this answer in the other mess shooting thread. It's possible that SSRIs are doing it. SSRis went on the market in 1987. Mass shootings got much since the 90s and have continued to rise as the number of people using SSRIs has risen.

I found the libertarian institute site that listed all the mass shooters or killers who were known to be on SSRIs. It's a long one;
1989: Joseph T. Wesbecker

1995: Jarred Viktor
1996: At 18, Kurt Danysh

1997: Luke Woodham
1998: 15-year-old Kip Kinkel

1999: Eric Harris,
2001: Christopher Pittman,
2001: Andrea Yates

2005: 16-year-old Jeff Weise

2008: Steven Kazmierczak

2012 Robert Stewart
2012: James Holmes
2013 Aaron Alexis
2014: Ivan Lopez
1015 Dylann Roof

2016: Arcan Cetin,

The article goes on to say that there may be many more but because of patient privacy laws, getting information on the medication and mental health diagnoses of people has become harder and harder, even with mounting evidence that there’s a connection between SSRI use and violence.

https://libertarianinstitute.org/art...ass-shootings/

I also know many cases personally because I worked in a psych hospital for years. Many people were there because their doctor gave them SSRIs for depression and then they went manic.

But I also think the breakdown of the family has a lot to do with it. Many more people live alone than they used to and don't have strong family ties. So when something goes wrong they don't have a strong support network. And the mental health system only gives them pills.

Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

10,276 posts, read 4,786,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Stephen Paddock ( Las Vegas) is the current record holder- the one to beat. He was 64 on the big day.

Was his 90 year old mother to blame?
He was the exception. Most have been young.

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

11,324 posts, read 2,967,758 times
Operation Northwoods....Once you read about this past operation, why 9-11 happened becomes very clear, this idea was not new at all.

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

415 posts, read 51,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Just saw a YouTube that said there was one mass shooting in the US in the 50's but a whole lot today. And the number one reason given was the "decline of religion."

I think it's because folks that are suicidal are also homicidal, and on the sliding scale of crazy.
Decline of a lot of things in my opinion .
Fathers& Family for one .
More children are born fatherless today than at any other time in history.
We just has a presidential candidate say yesterday that living on amniotic fluid does not qualify as being human . Only when you breath air do you meet the qualification that exempts you from being killed .
And the majority of people are okay with that
Life does not matter a wit .
Power and money are the essentials .
Men are seen as nothing more useful than sperm donors .
To me the real question is not what causes mass shootings , but why are we not having more of them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies