U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:04 AM

5,722 posts, read 1,709,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Don’t take this personally but all the people and news media that are calling what Trump does Popularism
PLEEAZZZE—
Don’t claim what Trump is spouting means he favors POPULISM—
He hates the common man!
What he says and what he does are entirely disconnected from any relation to populism as a government/social system...

Just because he says he is for “coal miners” or “plant workers” or anyone who isn’t in his wealth group is just propaganda—not true popularism...
Trump is one of the most selfish people—not to mention politicians—in history of the world...
Imagine a huge maw of NEED—that is Trump...
Anything to fill that never-fillable hole can be said or done in the name of FOOD for his psyche...

True Populists favor unions, have empathy, don’t cater to the wealthy class or business owners
They believe in social programs to support those who need help to have a decent life
They are about spreading democratic values and creating a better world—
Not about tearing down “welfare” like Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security—not about cutting back but about filling in holes in society...

I just can’t stand it when people describe Trump as a populist
Might as well use it for Hitler or Tito or Juan Peron or Marcos or Stalin
I totally disagree. Take Victor Orban, for example. He is an extreme populist, but does not favor unions, have empathy, spread democratic values or cater to anyone but the kleptocractic class. You can find other examples in Chavez/Maduro in Venezuela and the Law and Justice Party in Poland. Their platforms are most certainly populist regardless of whether they are ultimately good for the common citizen.

Trump and the current GOP are populist. They are certainly not conservative.

Last edited by TEPLimey; 09-11-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 09:09 AM

31,003 posts, read 48,134,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I totally disagree. Take Victor Orban, for example. He is an extreme populist, but does not favor unions, have empathy, spread democratic values or cater to anyone but the kleptocractic class. You can find other examples in Chavez/Maduro in Venezuela and the Law and Justice Party in Poland. Their platforms are most certainly populist regardless of whether they are ultimately good for the common citizen.

Trump are the current GOP are populist. They are certainly not conservative.
Dictators ipso facto cannot be Populists when they enrich themselves over the common man—
And don’t tell me your cites (Chavez/Maduro) didn’t do that—
No matter what they say or promise—a dictator ultimately is for himself...
And to me Oban is more a nationalist—which he has in common w/Trump—than a populist

And what is a platform except a means/method to win election...
Once in power all bets are off...

Old 09-11-2019, 09:49 AM

38,443 posts, read 16,686,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
LOL

Trump loves one thing. Trump.
I've noticed he says "we" and "we did" "my admin", etc., unlike obama whose every time he talked it was ALWAYS "I" and "I did", etc. Just sayin'!

Old 09-11-2019, 10:01 AM

23,055 posts, read 11,927,905 times
98% of politicians will go whichever way the wind blows.

Rand Paul and Bernie Sanders are two of the 2 percent

Last edited by whogo; 09-11-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 AM

6,128 posts, read 3,073,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Lindsey is showing his true self, a sheep. His back bone died with McCain
I think his back bone died when he made the decision to live out his entire life in the closet.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 PM

18,556 posts, read 11,731,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I think his back bone died when he made the decision to live out his entire life in the closet.

Your thoughts are mine, I was just holding back on saying it. It could be that Graham is Washington's little best kept secret, and Trump threatened to let the cat out of the bag.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:54 PM

3,747 posts, read 2,460,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think it’s simply that Trump is popular with Republican primary voters.

Not just Graham. But the majority flocked to his side. Most have realized they have been burned. Now they cant come forward and flip in fear of losing face and their own support. Giuliani is another one. Out of the limelight, then falls in with Trump to get the attention and camera time he use to have. Ever notice he acts all giddy around Trump. Its sad elected officials cant do their jobs because of their own vanity.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 PM

8,605 posts, read 11,392,692 times
Cretins stick together.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:32 PM

4,302 posts, read 6,518,691 times
I am conflicted as to who should get the Liar of the Year Award. Donald Trump with over 12,000 lies or Lindsey Graham. Perhaps Graham would be happier with the Brown Noser of the Year Award.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Status: "Love at first sight may sound trite but it's true, you know" (set 12 days ago)

780 posts, read 226,248 times
I think the better question is, "What did McCain have on Lindsay Graham, that he took to the grave with him?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies