U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 6,629,300 times

Advertisements

At school, terrible day. I knew people who died and people who were in the city at the time. Never forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:08 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,839,810 times
I was working on about the 40th floor of an office building in downtown Boston. We were evacuated later that morning. For what seemed like weeks later the National Guard were posted on corners and you saw hazmat crews running around in their vans. It was surreal in Boston. Even though I know quite a few people who were in NYC and that day who have shared their stories with me, I still can't imagine what it must have been like.

Old Today, 06:19 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
253 posts, read 178,042 times
I was in the newsroom of a small-town paper. Definition of "stop the press."

Old Today, 06:21 AM

47,203 posts, read 34,627,778 times
At One WTC.

I was also there on 2/26/1993.

Obviously, I survived. I was able to snag a ride on a ferry headed to the Atlantic Highlands, NJ. The ferry filled beyond capacity. As we pulled away, many attempted to leap from the dick onto the ferry and missed- such was the desperation to get out of lower Manhattan/ off the island.

Instead of proceeding to the Highlands, the ferry positioned in the middle of NY harbor for a front row seat to the collapse.

Eventually we departed for the Highlands and were met by a Fire Department who sprayed some sort of substance on us, despite no one was dusty. Cell phone coverage was jammed. I, like many, had no way out of the port. I ended up hitching a ride and guy dropped me off at a KMart.

I immediately proceeded to an adjacent cash station and withdrew the maximum, before proceeding to Kmart and a landline pay phone.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; Today at 07:35 AM..

Old Today, 06:23 AM

10,216 posts, read 5,649,066 times
Finishing my night shift at work and then, keeping up computer links to keep up with the story till noon.......then I went to class.

I must admit, I was not in shock to the attack for I had been in anti terrorism since 1985 at least and it had touched my life as far back as 1973.

And that is all I will say on that.

Old Today, 06:27 AM

12,958 posts, read 6,659,737 times
I was home at school (home-schooler family) in NYC. We felt the house shake upon the impact of the first plane into the tower, but didn't know what was going on until a relative who worked in Manhattan called to tell us what was going on; we live a couple of miles from the WTC site in Brooklyn.

At the time, which was before several high rises went up in the neighborhood, you were able to see the Twin Towers from the corner of our street, so we all took a walk there to witness for ourselves the building on fire.

When the second plane hit, I was at the corner store. I actually had that impact. At that point, everyone knew that it wasn't an accident; up until then, we didn't know what to think but really didn't have anything concrete to suggest that it wasn't anything but a tragic accident.

9/11 2001 was also primary day in New York. I was scheduled to work the polls for a local city council candidate. That, of course, was put off due to what was going on.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

434 posts, read 131,894 times
It was my day off and i had decided to go to breakfast with a friend who worked at a Hospital. I heard the news on the radio while driving but it seemed so unreal I thought the early morning station was doing a War of the Worlds type of thing. It didn't become real until i walked into the Hospital and anyone who was not dealing with an emergency were standing around every T.V. available.

Old Today, 06:44 AM

5,849 posts, read 1,479,219 times
I was getting ready for work when the first one hit, then I saw the second one had hit. Walked to work and immediately hear about the Pentagon. I worked in the John Hancock Tower at the time and they closed the building around 9 am CST. I was walking home on a beautiful day and my sister told me the towers were falling. Surreal.

Old Today, 07:07 AM

11,362 posts, read 10,375,392 times
I was working just 15 miles away in a hospital in Paterson, NJ. I lived right across the river from the Twin Towers in Hoboken, NJ. I had such a great view of the towers from my window, well, it was there when I left in the morning, but not when I got home.

They told us that we were the 6th hospital in line to take traumas. We all stayed, just in case, but no traumas ever came. Around 6PM, they said we would not be getting any survivors, so I left. Hoboken NJ borders the Lincoln Tunnel to the north and the Holland Tunnel to the south. It took me 3 hours to drive 15 miles, and even then, the police weren’t letting people through. I showed my doctor’s ID, and they let me through so I could get home.

My wife was working in NYC at the time. Just one year earlier, she was working in the World Trade Center, so in one aspect, we were very lucky, but in the other, she lost several friends and former coworkers. They were using the path train to transport bodies, so there were no trains carrying people out of the city. So my wife stayed at her brother’s apartment until they finally let her out of NYC around 1AM. Most of the day, I couldn’t even get in touch with her because i kept getting the message “all lines are busy”.

For the next week or two, my commute home was taking 1-2 hours to drive the 15 miles from work.

Old Today, 07:09 AM

12,158 posts, read 5,821,773 times
I was getting ready to go to work in the World Trade Center in Dallas, listening to the radio for traffic reports. When the second plane hit ... we all knew our .country was being attacked.
I went to the TV and couldn’t move from it. When I finally forced myself to go to work, I heard the WTC Dallas was being evacuated, so I returned home to watch it unfold the rest of the day, mostly in tears.

Each September 11th, I watch the attack again and sit for the calling of the names of those Murdered on that horrible day.

I will never forget or forgive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or