U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:11 AM

79 posts, read 13,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I was at my home computer listening to a comedy radio show. Was trying to unwind to get ready to sleep during the day before going to my 11pm-7am shift when the guy on the radio said to turn on the news because something was happening. Saw the first tower on fire and saw the people on the streets being interviewed saying the plane intentionally flew into the tower. While the camera was on the burning tower, it caught the second plane striking the second tower. Wish I hadn’t turned on the radio to hear his announcement. I could have gone to bed that morning and gotten enough sleep. Instead I couldn’t hardly sleep at all. Was downing cups of strong coffee all night at work just to stay awake. Though it’s been 18 years, it still feels like yesterday.
I was an high school. Started senior year in a public school in NYC. I can remember looking at the Manhattan skyline from 16 miles away and seeing dust around the borough of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:17 AM

1,297 posts, read 497,278 times
I was living in Maine at the time, renovating a house when a delivery driver told us what he heard on the radio, we went into the house to watch it on TV.

I knew NJ and NY Police and Fireman that were there that day and after and family that worked in lower Manhattan.

Old Today, 07:19 AM

521 posts, read 173,560 times
It was all over the news here for days, all over the internet too, and we couldn't believe our eyes. I remember being on a forum :facepalm: , a Croatian forum where one of the expats living in Manhattan was vividly describing his walking the streets there in the days after. We were all like man, too much dust, get out of there. I heard many ppl suffered and died from respiratory diseases later.

Old Today, 07:22 AM

47,205 posts, read 34,627,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I was working just 15 miles away in a hospital in Paterson, NJ. I lived right across the river from the Twin Towers in Hoboken, NJ. I had such a great view of the towers from my window, well, it was there when I left in the morning, but not when I got home.

They told us that we were the 6th hospital in line to take traumas. We all stayed, just in case, but no traumas ever came. Around 6PM, they said we would not be getting any survivors, so I left. Hoboken NJ borders the Lincoln Tunnel to the north and the Holland Tunnel to the south. It took me 3 hours to drive 15 miles, and even then, the police werenít letting people through. I showed my doctorís ID, and they let me through so I could get home.

My wife was working in NYC at the time. Just one year earlier, she was working in the World Trade Center, so in one aspect, we were very lucky, but in the other, she lost several friends and former coworkers. They were using the path train to transport bodies, so there were no trains carrying people out of the city. So my wife stayed at her brotherís apartment until they finally let her out of NYC around 1AM. Most of the day, I couldnít even get in touch with her because i kept getting the message ďall lines are busyĒ.

For the next week or two, my commute home was taking 1-2 hours to drive the 15 miles from work.
My husband was a volunteer paramedic/ EMT in Monmouth County. They too were on standby, ready to deploy to ground zero or any NJ port to respond to traumas. Like you, they were eventually notified their assist was not necessary.

Seemed most everyone in Northern and Central NJ knew someone who did not return home on 9/11.

Old Today, 07:23 AM

7,221 posts, read 2,620,615 times
I was standing in a board room right next to the CEO of my company, watching the news as it happened. Was walking down the hall at work when first plane hit and a colleague said "hey, a plane just flew into the WTC." We said holy cow, went to the nearest boardroom, turned on news and watched the morning unfold.

Old Today, 07:34 AM

7,266 posts, read 5,529,624 times
I was at Fayetteville State University registering for classes. I came out of the office and wondered why everyone was gathered around the TV screen looking up in horror. Then I saw the plane and smoke. My phone started to ring. It was my platoon sergent calling all his soliders to make sure all his soliders are accounted for and safe.

My daughter was 7 months old. She was at daycare on Fort Bragg. They locked the entire base down. No one coming or going. My ex-husband was on active duty and his orders to S. Korea was canceled immediately. We couldn't pick up our daughter on post for hours since the base was on lock down and on high alert.

Old Today, 07:35 AM

12,027 posts, read 17,631,348 times
I was in Georgetown at the time. News came that a plane had hit and I thought it might be like when that B-29 crashed into the Empire State Building. Then the 2nd one hit and it was clear what was happening. And then the Pentagon.

I walked outside to the most surreal experience of my life. Traffic was at a standstill. Someone phoned in a bomb threat to the Metro, so that had to shut down. I decided to walk home- about an hour walk towards uptown.

I could see the huge plume of smoke from the Pentagon attack. Everybody was walking away from downtown. A couple of times I saw trucks full of cops with machine guns and bullet proof vests. The DC National Guard was deployed, but I think that came a bit later.

Made it home and turned on the TV to see the nightmare that was New York.

Old Today, 07:50 AM

12,184 posts, read 16,947,751 times
I was in 8th grade science class when the principal came on over the intercom to announce that both towers had been hit by terrorists. She requested that teachers not turn on the TV, which meant, of course, that all of our TVs went on. We had at least local TV and CSPAN, not sure if we had anything else.

We had block schedules so only 4 extra long classes a day. My next two classes were with the same teacher. His room was tiny - a former office - and had no windows. We sat in silence in the dark watching TV as he lit all those candles he had gotten over the years as teacher gifts and ordered us pizza. As words like "Al Queda" and "Pentagon" came on the air, he wrote them on the board and explained what they meant and how they fit into the puzzle. He also drew a diagram to show where each of the government officials we saw on the news fit into the government structure. We didn't even leave the room for lunch. I remember him crying.

We were far from NYC or DC, but I was worried because my dad worked in the famous "Queen" building in Atlanta, which may have been a target. Throughout the day, most of the kids in my classes got picked up by their parents and I remember my brother and I getting a direct ride home on our bus because of how few kids were left. My mom worked at a local school and wasn't able to pick us up. The news was on the TV at home for weeks straight afterward.

Old Today, 07:52 AM

38 posts, read 7,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I was at my home computer listening to a comedy radio show. Was trying to unwind to get ready to sleep during the day before going to my 11pm-7am shift when the guy on the radio said to turn on the news because something was happening. Saw the first tower on fire and saw the people on the streets being interviewed saying the plane intentionally flew into the tower. While the camera was on the burning tower, it caught the second plane striking the second tower. Wish I hadnít turned on the radio to hear his announcement. I could have gone to bed that morning and gotten enough sleep. Instead I couldnít hardly sleep at all. Was downing cups of strong coffee all night at work just to stay awake. Though itís been 18 years, it still feels like yesterday.

I was in the air, actually. Landed as planned and saw the towers on fire. Tragedy.

Old Today, 07:55 AM

9,000 posts, read 11,013,596 times
Driving to work in Arizona. I went in, but was probably in a semi fugue state by then. The crazy boss said the mayor of Phoenix told everyone to go home. I stayed my usual morning hours, drove home and met my husband in the living room where I said something to him like "They're attacking us." I was in shock.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; Today at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or