U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:40 AM

25,950 posts, read 10,012,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
On a thread where we were asked to share our memories of where we were that day, some people still want to turn thi into a political thing where they damn their political boogeymen? SMH

And no one who was alive and of age will ever forget that day, so stop it.
How are the victims of 9/11 different from all the other innocents brutally robbed, caged, and killed by various State actors around the world on a daily basis?

I respect the victims by remaining consistent in loyalty to my principles of non-aggression and respect for private property regardless of who, what, when, and where.

That's not being political. It's apolitical. It's called being a human being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:46 AM

6,703 posts, read 3,700,561 times
Long Island about 30 miles away. I was Subbing then and not working that day. Watched NYC local news. Had two friends because of fate weren't there. One was called to a meeting in Jersey City and watched the Towers fall from the highway while his coworkers perished. Had a lot of why me quilt. Other man decided to take off from work to play golf. He also lived with a lot of quilt.

Old Today, 12:02 PM

338 posts, read 60,530 times
I was at work at Freddie Mac in McLean. I walked one of the pantries and it was being broadcast on TV. Everyone was huddled around watching. One of our senior officers was at a meeting in the tower as it fell. A few days later they arrested one of our security guards. Apparently, his name was on a piece of paper that was found in one of the hijackers cars at the airport in New York.

Old Today, 12:06 PM

10,758 posts, read 6,446,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Thinking about how these events happen all the time in Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Iran, and Afghanistan but all that matters was the one time it happened here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How are the victims of 9/11 different from all the other innocents brutally robbed, caged, and killed by various State actors around the world on a daily basis?

I respect the victims by remaining consistent in loyalty to my principles of non-aggression and respect for private property regardless of who, what, when, and where.

That's not being political. It's apolitical. It's called being a human being.
Atrocities happen hourly 24/7 across the globe. It's tragic, and I feel for anyone that has to live through it. The difference with this one is, it was in our country to our fellow Americans. If you can't see a difference in that....for shame.

Old Today, 12:20 PM

25,950 posts, read 10,012,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Atrocities happen hourly 24/7 across the globe. It's tragic, and I feel for anyone that has to live through it. The difference with this one is, it was in our country to our fellow Americans. If you can't see a difference in that....for shame.
Shame for what?

If you are innocent you are innocent. If you're the perp you are wrong.

It's as simple as that.

I'll even extend my sympathy to innocents who have fallen victim to private actors and not necessarily State actors.

Right is right. Wrong is wrong.

Old Today, 12:30 PM

19,847 posts, read 18,003,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have a sneaky feeling you have been ashamed to be an American many times.
That's not a nice American thing to say to a fellow American who witnessed other Americans being filthy cowards!

Old Today, 12:32 PM

19,847 posts, read 18,003,344 times
I was at work on a military base. We heard about a plane hitting the tower and joked about it being just a small plane. TV's were turned on and then we saw the 2nd plane hit and were instantly glued to the TV's. All worked stopped. Shortly thereafter, they sent us home and told us to stay home until further notice as the base was going on lockdown. Scary times.

Old Today, 01:36 PM

57,325 posts, read 55,562,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
If I'm not mistaken. Most of the victims that died or a great deal of thr victims were from NJ.
Not most, 700+.

Old Today, 01:40 PM

1,697 posts, read 447,112 times
I was a air traffic controller. That morning our air traffic was starting to get back to a steady flow after the usual morning rush of departures. In the back of our TRACON (radar room) we always had a FM radio softly playing in the background. Just another normal day made easier by clear blue skies. Then all hell broke loose. NO ONE FLYS came off the printer. First disbelief, followed by working what was handed to us. Most VFR pilots were very cooperative and landed as soon as they could. There were a few “ATC can’t tell me what do” types but they landed after a bit of coercion. Our printer soon started spitting out IFR flight plans of traffic diverted to our airport. We just took the handoffs from the ATC Centers as they came to us, rather than using the normal arrival procedures. We could hear snatches of what was going on at the WTC in the background on the radio as we worked our traffic, but our focus was getting everyone on the ground as safe and as fast as we could. With direction from our local airport authority, we started parking the diverted air carriers on a parallel taxiway rather than use the normal airline gates. I guess they thought things would get back to normal more quickly than we did. The planes stayed out there on the taxiways for days.

After we got the planes down, our only air traffic for days afterwards was our local Air National Guard unit flying CAPs over major population centers. The fighter pilots talked to us as a courtesy, but they didn’t need to, as The National Airspace System belonged to them for as long as the national emergency lasted.

Years before 9/11, during Cold War era, we would have mock drills as to what we would do to clear the skies if the USA was attacked by the Soviet Union. It was mostly just a in-house paper exercise and I can’t remember doing the exercise after the eighties.

I never, never, thought we would have to use a variation of those procedures in real life. Never.

Last edited by TomC23; Today at 02:04 PM..

Old Today, 01:41 PM

9,791 posts, read 6,466,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
All 19 hijackers legally entered the US. Like any legal visitor, all were free to travel anywhere in the US. One overstayed his visa.

15/19 entered the US on Saudi passports.

14/19 were age 20-25.

And your point is?

I don't give a rat's ass if they entered legally or not. Almost 3,000 people died that day, 2,000 responders have died of cancer and families have been ripped apart.

All by Muslim terrorists, NEVER Forget!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or