U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:32 AM

10,269 posts, read 8,395,264 times

Advertisements

I was at my home computer listening to a comedy radio show. Was trying to unwind to get ready to sleep during the day before going to my 11pm-7am shift when the guy on the radio said to turn on the news because something was happening. Saw the first tower on fire and saw the people on the streets being interviewed saying the plane intentionally flew into the tower. While the camera was on the burning tower, it caught the second plane striking the second tower. Wish I hadnít turned on the radio to hear his announcement. I could have gone to bed that morning and gotten enough sleep. Instead I couldnít hardly sleep at all. Was downing cups of strong coffee all night at work just to stay awake. Though itís been 18 years, it still feels like yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:37 AM

25,934 posts, read 10,012,252 times
Funding it (aka working).

Old Today, 03:49 AM

8,361 posts, read 2,875,058 times
I was at work.

Had just brought a sample in to a meeting with my boss and a customer and it was on the TV in the conference room.

I remember like it was yesterday.

Old Today, 03:53 AM

601 posts, read 486,943 times
Roommate woke me up after the first plane hit. Then sat and watched the second plane hit in awe. Everything was in slow motion it felt like. People jumping from the buildings was a cold shivering reality.

Rest in Peace

Old Today, 03:53 AM

18,242 posts, read 11,526,695 times
I didn't have to work until noon that day, but my GF was leaving earlier to go to her job. She was getting ready for work and I was sitting on the couch, watching the morning news (I think Matt Lauer). They broke away and said a plane had just hit the WTC, and they showed some video of what was happening.

I told my GF about it, and she started walking down the stairs to leave for work, and then another plane hit the other tower. I ran to the stairs and told her that a second plane had hit and she said " What the Hell is going on ???????"

After a while, all the news started coming out about the attack and the other attacks, and when I got to work everyone was glued around a TV, trying to figure out what was what. We were all like zombies, in a fog, confused and angry. It was all we could think about, or talk about.

Right after that day, my GF had a class reunion in Ohio, and we drove up (flights were impossible to get), and after her reunion we drove through Pa, my old stomping grounds. We drove near where the one airliner had crashed in Pennsylvania, and it was all blocked off and there was a very heavy military presence. It was so surreal to see it.

That entire period was like being in a nightmare.

Old Today, 04:13 AM

25,395 posts, read 6,325,409 times
I turned on the news early in the afternoon here in England, where we're five hours ahead of the east coast of America. There was a camera on the twin towers, and the commentator said a plane had hit one. It was mentioned it was thought to be a small plane.

I looked at the damage, and thought that's a mess for a small plane. The camera went in close, and I could see all the flames and smoke coming out. The talk was it being some terrible accident. I was just thinking jeez, I hope they manage to get all the people out ok.

Then, as I watched, I saw a plane flying back of the towers from right to left on the screen. Something made me freeze in my chair. Within seconds of that, the second tower was hit by a plane. I knew then, this was a terrorist attack. I knew the tremendous damage a large airliner would do to the inside of the buildings, and how difficult it would be to get the people out above the impacts.

I just sat there transfixed by what I was seeing. After a little while, a sort of shame crept up on me. The camera kept going in close, showing people waving clothing, and even some looking out of the huge holes made by the planes. I felt I shouldn't be watching this, but couldn't look away. Then folks started throwing themselves out of the towers. I started to cry at the sheer horror of it.

It never crossed my mind the buildings would collapse. When they did, I was overwhelmed by a sense of disgust, and grief for those poor people. The year after, my wife and I visited NYC. I wasn't sure if we should go down there, to the site. I decided we should. As we approached the fenced off area, we saw all the photos on the fence, and letters. I looked through it, and saw vehicles far below working. We stood there just a few minutes. Paid our silent respects to the dead, and then left.

I will never, never, never forget that day all those people died in full view of the whole world.

Old Today, 04:24 AM

1,030 posts, read 859,864 times
Listening to shortwave radio they mentioned report of fire at WTC so i went turned CNN on. Thinking how bizarre in broad daylight good weather a plane would crash into WTC...then watched 2nd plane fly into WTC and knew it was deliberate. Of course after Pentagon an PA crash was glued to tv. Was watching network news broadcasts of that morning on YouTube couple days ago..interesting 3 of 4 major networks at 9:01-9:02 panned their cameras to right just in time for 2nd plane hitting...almost like on cue for perfect shot...

Old Today, 04:58 AM

30,970 posts, read 15,909,882 times
I was driving to work listening to the radio.

I heard them say a plane had hit the WTC, and I thought it was a wayword Cessna.

Then, they said another plane hit the other tower, and I thought it was a stupid radio gag. After a minute or so, I knew they were serious and I knew we were being attacked.

Old Today, 05:01 AM

30,433 posts, read 16,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Funding it (aka working).
Thank you for your service.

Same here; working.

Old Today, 06:04 AM

12,494 posts, read 7,114,393 times
I was sitting in my living room in connecticut when the news flashed on the TV. My husband was frequently in the WTC for business and I had no idea if he was in the WTC or not. we had two friends and several acquaintances who worked in those two buildings. I couldn't get in touch with my husband or anyone for over two hours to know if they were safe. One longtime friend, a man with three children and married two decades, was murdered in this attack. one neighbor's brother died. several other neighbors lost family members and friends.

It was a terrifying day and still affects me. I woke up early this morning and the 9/11 tragedy was my first thought upon waking.

Last edited by texan2yankee; Today at 06:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or