Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 11:21 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,415,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If California shuts down the inter web - Trump wouldn't be able to tweet. Can you imagine that?

it would be The End.

Without his tweeting and wanting attention, he would cease to function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:34 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
California has high housing costs, decent weather and at least two large cities with billion dollar plus budgets for homelessness. I've known people to weather homelessness for periods of time due an inability to find suitable housing though they never quite hit rock bottom as they were employable and could stay in their car, couch surf and even had a musician friend who slept in his rehearsal studio (on tour half the year meant scrounging up 2 grand for rent for a place that would often be empty would be kind of redundant, ah the choices some of could make, steady job and home versus living the life half the year and housing insecurity the other half)

Of course someone doesn't have to stay in California but if you don't suddenly have 5 grand to move and 2 grand every month thereafter, you probably don't have 20 grand to up and relocate to a new area.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:38 AM

Drug treatment and mental health treatment are not silver bullets though. They both require discipline on the part of the patient and often it's a lack of discipline that leads someone all the way down to the bottom to begin with. And job training ... one of the problems you have in this area that you didn't have 20 years ago is a job is often not enough to keep a roof over your head.

22 years ago I was making $6.75 but it was enough to move out of my mom's house and into my own studio apartment in a nice neighborhood just outside Los Angeles.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:02 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Have you ever tried to get an addict without health insurance long term addiction treatment? Practically impossible. Drug addiction and untreated chronic mental illness are the primary causes of chronic homelessness. Until we are committed to funding free access to drug treatment and mental health services homelessness will not subside. Only then can society address the secondary causes, the need for job training, etc.
Meanwhile, the drugs just keep flowing into the country!

This is absolutely ridiculous, we have an out of control heroin epidemic in my region, and yet the dope just keeps coming in consistently, there are NEVER 'lulls' or shortages...that is extremely suspicious.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Meanwhile, the drugs just keep flowing into the country!

This is absolutely ridiculous, we have an out of control heroin epidemic in my region, and yet the dope just keeps coming in consistently, there are NEVER 'lulls' or shortages...that is extremely suspicious.

What do you mean by suspicious?

Old 09-15-2019, 12:11 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
If I were you Mr. President I would send in the national guard and have every Democrat arrested for crimes against American citizens!

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-home...opstories.html
This is either a joke or you are woefully ignorant of the individual rights of American citizens irregardless of political affiliation.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:16 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
What do you mean by suspicious?
Well, if border patrol and federal drug enforcement was even doing their jobs halfway, they would at least get lucky sometime and cause some areas to be shorted...but that doesnt seem to be happening...

Just recently border patrol was bragging about how they intercepted a HUGE load of heroin coming in, (something like $40 million worth of the drug), that bust should have resulted in many regions being shorted, (dealers with nothing to sell), but again, Ive not heard about any shortages from any region, Narco law enforcement in my area make heroin busts all the time, and yet, it never adds up to anything significant, dealers they bust are just replaced with new dealers and the supply is never effected.

during the 5-7 yrs that I was using as an active addict, there was not a single time, when I could not find anything, that is crazy now that I think about it!

The fact that numerous cities and states have major heroin epidemics means a couple things are true, 1. Border patrol and law enforcement is ridiculously ineffective, 2. enough dope is coming in CONSISTENTLY, to keep ALL these cities/states, fully supplied!!!

This does not happen by luck or coincidence!

Old 09-15-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, if border patrol and federal drug enforcement was even doing their jobs halfway, they would at least get lucky sometime and cause some areas to be shorted...but that doesnt seem to be happening...

Just recently border patrol was bragging about how they intercepted a HUGE load of heroin coming in, (something like $40 million worth of the drug), that bust should have resulted in many regions being shorted, (dealers with nothing to sell), but again, Ive not heard about any shortages from any region, Narco law enforcement in my area make heroin busts all the time, and yet, it never adds up to anything significant, dealers they bust are just replaced with new dealers and the supply is never effected.

during the 5-7 yrs that I was using as an active addict, there was not a single time, when I could not find anything, that is crazy now that I think about it!

The fact that numerous cities and states have major heroin epidemics means a couple things are true, 1. Border patrol and law enforcement is ridiculously ineffective, 2. enough dope is coming in CONSISTENTLY, to keep ALL these cities/states, fully supplied!!!

This does not happen by luck or coincidence!

Yes, enough dope is coming in consistently.

Most drugs are cheaper in real dollars than 40 years ago.

So enough drugs are coming in that a 40 million dollar bust (and numbers are often inflated) would not short a particular area, and with a border bust you may not get a clear grasp on what area they were headed to.

And if an area is shorted, it doesn't mean no drugs, it means existing drugs are cut down and prices go up. Part of the reason of the epidemic and high rate of overdoses is drugs are cheaper and purer than ever. So a shortage would mean the addicts are still getting fixed up but may be overdosing less.

Also if an area is shorted affecting availability you may not hear about it on the internet and the more intrepid addicts would just drive a few hundred miles to the nearest hotspot and buy enough a few extra bags for the hood.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:05 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If there is such a grand economy in Chicago, why are the gangbangers shooting and killing each other and several innocent bystanders every week? Shouldn't they be working their wonderful high-paying jobs in Chicago's wondrous economy, instead of indiscriminately gunning down others?

The economy is geared toward the highly-skilled, for which there are not enough workers to fill those jobs.

The gangbangers are not unlike the coal miners - they don't have marketable skill, so they sit on the porches and shoot at things that move. Except, in Chicago, the things that move are people.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Ask Trump if he can fix Atlantic City first...and give us our 10's of billions back. If he proves himself there maybe we will consider letting him try a bigger project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies