Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Because it worked so well last time..
We never had a true free market for health care!

Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
We never had a true free market for health care!
"Forgive them, for they know not what free markets are"- DeForrest 1:14

Old 09-12-2019, 06:37 AM

6,976 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Me too. Kidney stones in 2006 cost me a total of $150 out of pocket. That was between ER visit, meds, and family doctor visits.

Kidney stones in 2015 cost me $3300 out of pocket. The Affordable Care act in action.
Me too. I had a bone spur removed from my elbow by Kaiser. It cost me $5 out of pocket.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ummmm......

When you no longer force people to buy insurance, it only stands to reason that there will be less people insured.

I know that this might come as a shock to you, but there are actually some people who don't want health insurance.

Especially health insurance that is so expensive to buy and use.

If you're generally healthy and you can't afford the deductible anyways......

What's the point?
First, nice work dropping basic logic on people. /golfclap

Next, the point is to bash Trump and Republicans using a false dilemma of sorts. The way the thinking works is that if you don't have insurance...YOU DIE, or...YOU GO BANKRUPT. So opposing a law that forces people to procure insurance, regardless of what it costs them, how well it serves them, etc...well that means you favor people dying or going bankrupt. There is no middle ground, just those two poles. ACA = immortality, no ACA means death, mayhem and despair.

Never mind that the ACA did nothing but increase prices wildly and simply create a new entitlement for the poor (and a crappy one in every way other than name, if you study it), it SOUNDS great, so it is great, and Obama rules and Trump droolz. Blah blah blah.

And the point that gets left out is that insurance is simply a financial instrument that wagers that a cost paid over decades in periodic installments will be lower or at least less painful than a large, one time cost incurred at time of service. It doesn't "save lives" or "promote health" or anything of the sort. It defers paying large costs all at once in favor of installments, and makes an assumption that the large cost will be incurred at some point, so better to mitigate now. The people without insurance have simply chosen to wager that they will not be incurring a large healthcare cost any time soon, so why pay needlessly into the insurance racket? Their lives, their choice, but we are to believe that without insurance, they are doomed...DOOMED I SAY!!!

That comes back to the point. If you oppose ACA, you favor that DOOM....DOOM I SAY!!

Old 09-12-2019, 08:12 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Last month I watched a few minutes of the Democrat candidates' debate and they were all bashing the ACA except Biden. They were saying everything we and the Republicans said years ago.

We lost our pre-ACA insurance too. We went to a healthcare sharing ministry unlike our neighbor, who is our age and paying $1100 a month for nothing, she is healthy. She'll probably drop her insurance too and join our group.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:38 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Insurance became unaffordable BECAUSE of Obama. Tanking the ACA and returning to a free competitive market is the solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
That would be going in the wrong direction.

ACA was a stepping stone to single payer, which a majority support.

https://www.kff.org/slideshow/public...care-coverage/
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Actually, the Orwellian-named ACA is tanking healthcare delivery, precisely as designed.
Do people have short memories? This 3 post exchange is precisely what has been talked about for some years on this forum. This is exactly how it went.

The right opposed it because we knew it was unaffordable for most people. We had catastrophic insurance that was affordable, and no matter how many times we discussed this, the lefties kept crying about "we need everyone to have access to medical care" (which, everyone does, btw).

At some point, the left started to admit that they wanted single payer, and I distinctly remember a thread where some of them were admitting that this overbloated garbage pile of nonsense called Obamacare was a step towards their precious single payer. We even had videos of Obama talking about single payer.

And now, Obamacare is failing. Anyone who didn't see that coming is just plain stupid.

I guess the left thought they were going to be in charge when it came falling apart - I'm sure they still have hope to take over in 2020 and give everyone government healthcare.

Be careful what you (general) fools wish for. If you ever wanted to know how "great" government healthcare will be for you, you should probably talk to some veterans.

But I love how the left right now is pretending that they're upset about all of this. No they aren't. They're delighted - as long as they win in 2020. If they don't, they'll continue to pretend outrage.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:41 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Do people have short memories? This 3 post exchange is precisely what has been talked about for some years on this forum. This is exactly how it went.

The right opposed it because we knew it was unaffordable for most people. We had catastrophic insurance that was affordable, and no matter how many times we discussed this, the lefties kept crying about "we need everyone to have access to medical care" (which, everyone does, btw).

At some point, the left started to admit that they wanted single payer, and I distinctly remember a thread where some of them were admitting that this overbloated garbage pile of nonsense called Obamacare was a step towards their precious single payer. We even had videos of Obama talking about single payer.

And now, Obamacare is failing. Anyone who didn't see that coming is just plain stupid.

I guess the left thought they were going to be in charge when it came falling apart - I'm sure they still have hope to take over in 2020 and give everyone government healthcare.

Be careful what you (general) fools wish for. If you ever wanted to know how "great" government healthcare will be for you, you should probably talk to some veterans.

But I love how the left right now is pretending that they're upset about all of this. No they aren't. They're delighted - as long as they win in 2020. If they don't, they'll continue to pretend outrage.
When they win they will just bring the fine back.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:43 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
News from Amazon today that they will pull health insurance from 1900 employees and put them back on the public dole.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:46 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Is this because they recently got rid of the ObamaCare mandate — weren’t people forced to have insurance that didn’t really want or need it — especially very young people?

Old 09-12-2019, 07:56 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Worked wonderfully for me (and millions of others) and my deductible was low.
Something liberals hate to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies