Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 09:47 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times

Advertisements

The whole debate approach is great entertainment for policy junkies or folks who have some emotional investment in Bernie or Yang or some other candidate but they are flawed and poorly focused. There is nothing that was being talked about on that stage that doesn't have to go through Congress and the final nominee has to actually get into the White House. There are three elephants in the room with these debates.

Trump is the elephant #1 and the sooner they take him on full bore the better. Everything else is negotiable because there isn't a tremendous amount of policy difference between the whole bunch. Trump has no real policies to debate...it's all fidgets, brain farts, fumbles, and personal attacks. It takes Congress to work through the policy details on most of these candidate plans. That brings us to...

Retaking the Senate is elephant #2 -- Congress is in a mess no matter who wins the White House. The Democrats need to extend the majority in the House and retake the Senate in order to undo some of the damage Trump has caused.

Elephant #3 is what everyone is tiptoeing around, especially this morning. Uncle Joe Biden is a great man and should have been president years ago. He is not getting better as these debates move forward. His quaint baby-kissing/back slapping style isn't going to carry him through. He makes mistakes that detract from his message. He is a great campaigner and should focus on retaking the Senate and supporting the final nominee in the campaign. He is trapped in Obama's shadow, and while that is not a bad place to be, it will be an unnecessary distraction in a final campaign. The Democratic candidate needs to present a sharp contrast and make Trump look like what he is...old, stupid, incompetent, unprepared, and a petty whiner... a failed presidency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 09:52 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a Democrat I more or less agree with you, as do most Democrats. We are still waiting for a more moderate candidate, one who truly represents the people. The Republicans are so far right that they're off the charts. The Democrats are too far left. ....waiting for someone moderate to come along, although Biden does get it.
I respect your opinion here, but please enlighten us on how EXACTLY the republicans are so far right they are off the charts...
The vast majority of R’s are neither racist, deplorable, misogynistic, or zenophobic.
Minorities are doing better economically and employed under Republicans than ever before.
Republicans under Trump created and passed an important prison reform bill that specifically helps minorities.
Trump has started “Opportunity Zones” giving tax benefits to businesses that relocate and help train blighted areas such as Detroit.
Most republicans are okay with gay marriage.
The MINUTE the Charlottesville white supremacists showed up the Republican Party totally denounced them publically and repeatedly. That never happens by the democrats when all the liberal racists do their thing....

The R’s want fair trade, secure borders, school choice, respect for law and order, the cessation of full term infanticide, and less taxation. What’s so “off the charts far right” about any of that ??

Old 09-13-2019, 10:22 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I respect your opinion here, but please enlighten us on how EXACTLY the republicans are so far right they are off the charts...
The vast majority of R’s are neither racist, deplorable, misogynistic, or zenophobic.
Minorities are doing better economically and employed under Republicans than ever before.
Republicans under Trump created and passed an important prison reform bill that specifically helps minorities.
Trump has started “Opportunity Zones” giving tax benefits to businesses that relocate and help train blighted areas such as Detroit.
Most republicans are okay with gay marriage.
The MINUTE the Charlottesville white supremacists showed up the Republican Party totally denounced them publically and repeatedly. That never happens by the democrats when all the liberal racists do their thing....

The R’s want fair trade, secure borders, school choice, respect for law and order, the cessation of full term infanticide, and less taxation. What’s so “off the charts far right” about any of that ??
I was going to say the same thing. I mean it without snark, how exactly have the Repubs gone so far right they are off the charts? I'm curious because I have a co-worker that says the same thing, but I don't want to engage him on pollical issues in the work place. He's a far far far lefty and I just don't wanna get into it. Everytime I take a political test I always score center slight left.

I don't like a lot of the Repub positions, but comparing to the dems they seem "normal" for lack of another term.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:23 AM

29,475 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Those idiots better swing back toward the middle during the general or Trump will have a field day bustin balls on all of the dumb**** they that are saying.

The majority of middle class people have no interest in medical coverage for illegals, decriminalizing illegal border crossings. Getting rid of their medical coverage for some garbage that the government will provide. Most people realize that all of the free this and free that stuff has to get paid somehow, and most people realize that it will take more than just the uber wealthy to cover the bill. The Dims with their incessant America sucks and we're all racist bit isn't going to play well in the general. Part of why Trump won was he ran on basically a much more positive message, his dumb rhetoric at times aside.

I could go on and on.
Sorry, I'm on the opposite team... I'm hoping they go full blown leftist and up the craziness level. We need more of them to step up like Beto did and say what they really mean.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:29 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,048 times
Angry misguided DEMS have been promising nirvana and delivering dung for half a century.......nothing changes and nothing constructive will happen.........your pockets will efficiently be vacuumed out with taxes increasing.....schools won't be fixed producing the same stupid kids as always......roads will have pot holes......and most tax dollars will be wasted or siphoned off by corrupt unions and their supporters.........and yet idiots keep voting these people in........

Old 09-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sorry, I'm on the opposite team... I'm hoping they go full blown leftist and up the craziness level. We need more of them to step up like Beto did and say what they really mean.
Yep, I understand. I'm longing for the old days of the dems when they actually cared about American workers, the dems of 25 plus years ago. They were much more moderate and sensible in my opinion. Now you've got tards like Nancy Pelosi lecturing us about how border walls are immoral. Just 10 years ago she was all about border security.

I wonder what happened? The conspiracy side of me thinks that the corporate masters put out the message to flood the country with cheap low skilled labor and to swing the demographic to gain more democratic voters. This was something unheard of in the 80's. They used to be the guys fighting the repubs that wanted to do that, flood the country with cheap labor. Now you've got both parties doing that. Now they do it under the guise that were better than that, we are warm and welcoming people. Where's the stroking icon it when you need it?

They all say how they want border security but it's bull****. It could have been done for decades now. The status quo only benefits the 0.1 to 1 percenters out there.

I hate to bust your bubble but both parties suck. It's just a matter of picking which side you have to figure sucks less.

I'm going to hold my nose and vote for trump because with all of his crap and lies and BS, he doesn't seem as crazy as the 10 that are still in the running on the Dem side.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:41 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Yang was the biggest loser last night. He racially stereotyped HIMSELF and told some unfunny jokes that no one laughed at. And that kooksville contest of his? Andrew, there is a reason no candidate has ever done that before. It's stupid. Yang is done.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:51 AM

29,475 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yep, I understand. I'm longing for the old days of the dems when they actually cared about American workers, the dems of 25 plus years ago. They were much more moderate and sensible in my opinion. Now you've got tards like Nancy Pelosi lecturing us about how border walls are immoral. Just 10 years ago she was all about border security.

I wonder what happened? The conspiracy side of me thinks that the corporate masters put out the message to flood the country with cheap low skilled labor and to swing the demographic to gain more democratic voters. This was something unheard of in the 80's. They used to be the guys fighting the repubs that wanted to do that, flood the country with cheap labor. Now you've got both parties doing that. Now they do it under the guise that were better than that, we are warm and welcoming people. Where's the stroking icon it when you need it?

They all say how they want border security but it's bull****. It could have been done for decades now. The status quo only benefits the 0.1 to 1 percenters out there.

I hate to bust your bubble but both parties suck. It's just a matter of picking which side you have to figure sucks less.

I'm going to hold my nose and vote for trump because with all of his crap and lies and BS, he doesn't seem as crazy as the 10 that are still in the running on the Dem side.
25 years ago I was center /left...now there is no way I can be that now. And no bubble to burst, I agree , both parties do suck and they have our best interests last in their mind.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:01 AM

8,337 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Orange...man...bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How come no US Flags on stage?
That would be racist. Duhhhh.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
25 years ago I was center /left...now there is no way I can be that now. And no bubble to burst, I agree , both parties do suck and they have our best interests last in their mind.
I score center left. I've heard the term "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" and that labels sits ok with me. I've heard people say that that label is BS, doesn't exist. I think it does.

Do what ya like in the bedroom, just keep your paws out of my wallet, as much as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies