Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 07:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
get enough hyperbolic words in the thread title? Sounds like you wish the economy would fail like the racist Bill Mahr.

The record lows in unemployment disagrees with the nonsense being pushed by the OP.
You didn't read the article did you. I used the title from the article.

I am not 'pushing' anything -- Merely cited an article for discussion.

THere was no surge of new jobs after the tax cuts. Job growth has been consistent for 108 months.

There is nothing to indicate that the tax cuts changed anything.'

Old 09-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Here we go again.

Do you mean to say 'wages did not soar for the rank-and-file?

& corporate investments did not surge?

& these tax cuts did not pay for themselves?

What is that expression? 'Fool me once ..."
I didn't say anything -- the article was written by someone else.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They saved me and most other middle class people money.

Feel free to send them all your money if you choose.
Once again -- you don't address the topic.

I clearly state I support tax cuts to individuals.

I do not think the tax cuts were responsible for the economy continuing along the same path it had been for years before the tax cuts.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Tax cuts allowed me to spend more... Employ more people... The LA Times never contacted me, or maybe you will like to use the Democrats favorite BS, it could of been worse if it wasn't done.... But don't let the truth get in the way....

But all the stats show that 'overall' -- not individual stories -- there was not a significant impact on the economy.

There just wasn't.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:03 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
My federal income tax rate was lowered, enough to where it almost covers the car payment.
My workplace was able to use the tax incentives to purchase equipment we couldn't have afforded otherwise, and now we've got 3 more people earning good pay programming and operating that equipment and that has made us more competitive with others in the same business.
Business is global now, and corporations can choose to invest and spend in most any country they wish. The drop in the USA's corporate tax rate got them interested again and sent the message that the "USA is open for business". Prior to that, it was obvious things weren't working. Seattle for example, is growing population at a rate nearly 10x the new permitted units, yet prior to Trumps election and the tax cuts, the only large apartment and condo projects going up were being funded by Chinese investor groups seeking their "buy your way in green cards".
The funny thing is, anyone that played that old sim-city video game knows how it works. There is a sweet spot where the taxes aren't set too high to scare all the companies/jobs away, but not too low leaving your government under-funded. We've spent decades hitting ourselves over the head, increasing taxes on a perpetually shrinking tax base while letting broken trade policies gut our manufacturing jobs.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:22 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The point is the argument tax cuts are/were good for the economy.
They were good.

Your propaganda article conspicuously ignores BEA data on Personal Disposable Income, which has increased.

An increase in Personal Disposable Income leads to increased savings and increased expenditures for goods and services.

Personal Consumption Expenditures have increased from $12,417,372 Million in January 2017 to $13,347,253 Million in July 2019.

That's an increase of $929,881,000,000 or 7.49% due in part to lower taxes and higher wages.

https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.c...ing&thetable=x

Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
https://www.latimes.com/business/hil...-59WGbElATiVQc

The bottom line, then, is becoming clearer with every quarter. The tax cuts did almost nothing for ordinary Americans and may even have cost them money. The apparent gains in their income were negligible and short-lived. Wealthy Americans reaped the benefits of lower taxes and higher dividends. The cuts had a negligible effect on U.S. economic growth while depriving the government of revenue.

I do support tax cuts for individuals just because I think individuals should pay less tax, govt. should be more fiscal conservative. That's not the issue/debate/point here.''

Why would anyone believe a 'devastating' analysis??

If the analysis wasn't valid, why the uproar?

We know the tax cut was a success by several economic indicators.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:35 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Of course the media in CA is going to cry about this due to the SALT reduction.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:36 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
It's probably going to take time to properly evaluate what impact the tax cut had on the economy. We're too close to it at the moment.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:40 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
https://www.latimes.com/business/hil...-59WGbElATiVQc

The bottom line, then, is becoming clearer with every quarter. The tax cuts did almost nothing for ordinary Americans and may even have cost them money. The apparent gains in their income were negligible and short-lived. Wealthy Americans reaped the benefits of lower taxes and higher dividends. The cuts had a negligible effect on U.S. economic growth while depriving the government of revenue.

I do support tax cuts for individuals just because I think individuals should pay less tax, govt. should be more fiscal conservative. That's not the issue/debate/point here.''

Quote:
  • 10/16/2018
Taxes: Critics of the Trump tax cuts said they would blow a hole in the deficit. Yet individual income taxes climbed 6% in the just-ended fiscal year 2018, as the economy grew faster and created more jobs than expected.

The Treasury Department reported this week that individual income tax collections for FY 2018 totaled $1.7 trillion. That's up $14 billion from fiscal 2017, and an all-time high. And that's despite the fact that individual income tax rates got a significant cut this year as part of President Donald Trump's tax reform plan.

Most liberals are rooting for a recession. Liberals would whine if they were hung with a new rope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies