Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 03:01 PM

19,704 posts, read 11,960,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Because you're siding with American citizens who just happen to be criminals...
His nonsense accusation of antifa shows he is flailing which is why I did not respond to his silly claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 03:05 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,825,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
FOX was covering it as a top story earlier, but can’t find it anywhere on CNN....

What's with the racist wingnut obsession with CNN?

Old 09-15-2019, 03:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,224,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
and probably American via anchor baby too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
His nonsense accusation of antifa shows he is flailing which is why I did not respond to his silly claim.
Why on earth wound the Border Patrol be stopping American citizens.

Of course it was wrong and criminal for the perpetrator to shoot the Border Patrol agent. But why is the BP stopping American citizens? You really think they had probable cause?

Old 09-15-2019, 04:00 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,768,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Why on earth wound the Border Patrol be stopping American citizens.

Of course it was wrong and criminal for the perpetrator to shoot the Border Patrol agent. But why is the BP stopping American citizens? You really think they had probable cause?
Of course they did. I live in a border area and have to pass through 2 checkpoints and many observation points every week...they don't just pull anyone over, they would have to fit a certain profile. Trust me, these guys know what they're looking for....

Old 09-15-2019, 04:14 PM

5,856 posts, read 2,791,720 times
I live just a spit from Canada, I cross in VT, at Derby Line and at Pittsburg in NH. The Border Patrol on both sides are true professionals . The US can stop you as far as 100 miles south of the border, if they attempt to pull me over at 105 miles, I STOP.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Of course they did. I live in a border area and have to pass through 2 checkpoints and many observation points every week...they don't just pull anyone over, they would have to fit a certain profile. Trust me, these guys know what they're looking for....
This does not appear to have been a checkpoint but a traffic stop.

Border Patrol agents stop drivers if they have “reasonable suspicion” – that is, more than a hunch – that a crime or immigration violation has been, or will be, committed. Reasonable suspicion requires a lower standard of evidence than the probable cause needed to arrest someone or obtain a search warrant.

Probable cause means there’s concrete evidence to indicate a crime has been committed. Reasonable suspicion is interpreted more broadly, to mean that based on the facts agents can observe, and the agents’ training and experience, it would be reasonable for them to assume a crime or immigration violation has happened or will occur.

Where is the reasonable suspicion when they pull over two Americans in a car? Sounds like a bad stop to me.

I am well aware of check points. Mother used to live in Sierra Vista AZ. Been through many. They never bother though as I am and was an older white guy. I will not talk to them other than to give my name.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:33 PM

62,390 posts, read 28,671,562 times
Quote:
They would have no idea who's a citizen or who isn't anyway unless they stopped them to find out. Law enforcement often questions people regardless of who they are when a crime has been committed. It's called an investigation. Those who would object must be hiding something.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They would have no idea who's a citizen or who isn't anyway unless they stopped them to find out. Law enforcement often questions people regardless of who they are when a crime has been committed. It's called an investigation. Those who would object must be hiding something.
The requirement for a traffic stop is reasonable suspicion. And it has to be vocal-able. A hunch will not do. Nor will location. Two American citizens driving down the highway would be tough to defend.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:54 PM

15,440 posts, read 10,365,951 times
Well, since the passenger opened fire on the officer, they did have a bad guy on their hands.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Well, since the passenger opened fire on the officer, they did have a bad guy on their hands.
Absolutely and they correctly returned fire and killed the guy. That does not in any way excuse a bad stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies