Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your position on "climate change"?
I don't believe in climate change. 23 8.52%
I believe in climate change, but not that humans are the majority cause. 115 42.59%
I believe in climate change and that people are the primary cause. 106 39.26%
I don't have enough evidence to arrive at a conclusion. 26 9.63%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,465,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
pavement is hot and retains heat....right?.... we've added this much roads since temp measurements started

....this does not include parking lots, alleys, airports, buildings, houses, etc.....just roads

roads in North America > https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017...3675897650.jpg
Do you believe third world countries are going to choose not to develop infrastructure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 08:15 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,648,924 times
There are 100s of years we do not have data for, so there is insufficient data to come to a reasonable conclusion.
For instance do we know if any hurricanes made landfall the year Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79?

I do not believe in climate change in general as we only have temp records and such for the extremely modern times.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:19 AM

28,982 posts, read 14,317,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A sensible answer.

Let me ask you this:

With only 8% of the global population having air conditioning, with over two billion having no electricity, with almost 3 billion without basic transportation, what is your plan to keep them from ever obtaining anything approaching your standard of living and multiplying the human input several times over?
And that is a very tough question to answer.
I don't see any real solutions, not plausible ones.
I was just watching a youtube video about the ship breaking industry in Alang India. They've destroyed 5-6 miles of coastal fishing area, all in the name of money. Thousands of people come to work there because they are barely living. Yet they keep adding to the population. That country, and many like it will eventually consume itself to the breaking point. Then what ? How can this be stopped ? It will eventually happen to the entire globe if something isn't done....that something is the big question though.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I was just watching a youtube video about the ship breaking industry in Alang India. They've destroyed 5-6 miles of coastal fishing area, all in the name of money. Thousands of people come to work there because they are barely living. Yet they keep adding to the population. That country, and many like it will eventually consume itself to the breaking point. Then what ? How can this be stopped ? It will eventually happen to the entire globe if something isn't done....that something is the big question though.
I see our constantly expanding population as our biggest problem. A fish tank can only hold so many fish until it turns toxic for all the fish.

The only possible answer I see is immigration control.

Simply put, most first world countries are close to stagnate population once you remove immigration. Additionally, more and more countries are slowly working their way to first world status. If we contain the countries with booming populations, they will get to the point where they can't grow in population any further. Yes, it will be ugky to see, and we are talking about children suffering horribly, but that is the only possible solution I can envision.

Of course, the left wants open borders, and having open borders and unhindered immigration will essentially ensure a toxic fish tank for us all.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:47 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,734,821 times
Quote:
Birth control and family planning are plausible solutions.

But I don't believe it will happen. And while I believe AGW is real, I don't believe we will fix it. People will complain and bicker and continue popping out babies and nothing of substance will happen in time to prevent a run-away warming situation. The overpopulation problem will end up fixing itself in a very ugly manner, unfortunately.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 AM

45,026 posts, read 26,180,093 times
Quote:
Typically happens when no one owns the resource and the state is the caretaker.

Tragedy of the Commons

Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 AM

18,280 posts, read 8,077,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you believe third world countries are going to choose not to develop infrastructure?
...of course not...they're doing it now...and they are the ones responsible for all the increase in atmospheric CO2 for the past 50 years

http://folk.uio.no/roberan/img/GCB20...rojections.png

Old 09-15-2019, 10:26 AM

30,564 posts, read 21,730,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...of course not...they're doing it now...and they are the ones responsible for all the increase in atmospheric CO2 for the past 50 years

http://folk.uio.no/roberan/img/GCB20...rojections.png
That would run contrary to the Leftist snd Democrats that say the US is responsible for all that ailes the world

Old 09-15-2019, 11:14 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,586,059 times
Asking about Humans being the cause is like asking if you want free money and tax cuts from deficit.

Or lower interest rates.

Or free opiates.

Most Americans will always not want to do the hard things......

Old 09-15-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Asking about Humans being the cause is like asking if you want free money and tax cuts from deficit.

Or lower interest rates.

Or free opiates.

Most Americans will always not want to do the hard things......
The hard thing to stop man made climate change starts with ending immigration.

Are you ready to do the hard thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies