Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 11:52 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,769,823 times

Advertisements

I support the second amendment however I also support property rights. If a business wants to prohibit firearms on their property they are well within their rights. As a consumer I can decide to do business with that business or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
I'm of the opinion that when any "right" is limited by a business or public venue then some form of mitigation must be in place to protect the intended right. For instance no government established religion so... you get to freely worship, freedom of speech, so... if you can't yell "FIRE" in a movie theater then fire alarms should be available, if you can't carry a firearm then security should be provided, etc, etc.

One basic premise we often forget, we're expected to be responsible, caring and good citizens.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:59 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
What happens when a business ban firearms on their premises and someone with a gun walks in and tries to rob the place?

What are they going to do, call someone with a gun (aka the police) to stop them?

Old 09-16-2019, 05:25 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Private property... business owner's rights. So NO.

You don't have the right to protest on their property what makes people think one has the right to carry arms against their wishes?

You as the consumer have the right to decide if you do business with them or not.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:32 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
We're using some unspoken assumptions. The OP was about business and with some further understanding public places or venues. You kinda went off the deep end with your response.

I also noted no rifles.

These are the type of responses that take rational thinking out of the equation and make it almost impossible to have a discussion.
I don't think he went off the deep end in the explanation of a flaw in your statement. If one decides when a particular space is secured or not to determine whether or not they should be allowed to carry their weapon, then you might as well force all private property owners and over step their rights. That ambiguity will always work against the property owner.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:21 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
We're using some unspoken assumptions. The OP was about business and with some further understanding public places or venues. You kinda went off the deep end with your response.

I also noted no rifles.

These are the type of responses that take rational thinking out of the equation and make it almost impossible to have a discussion.

Fair enough, I was a little dramatic to make a point (and I acknowledged the house example was not the same as business example).

The point I was trying to make is that I support the 2A in that government shall not infringe, but I also support private property rights, be it a home, a business, or a privately owned forest.

My point, my only point, was that people's 2A rights don't trump (IMO) someones right to control what happens on their own property. I felt your (and OP topic) suggestion that property owners should be forced to bow to anyone is wrong.

It's a discussion, and that's my opinion. Like anyone else's opinion, it's up for debate and disagreement.

My answer to the OP: No, businesses should not be forced to allow CC nor OC if they don't want to. They should be expected to state their policy clearly, and they should understand that no matter what they decide, some will cheer, some will not, and some will take their business elsewhere. That's it in a nutshell.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:55 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Should businesses be forced to respect gun rights?

No. You don’t have a right to take you gun on their property. Don’t like that they won’t let your gun on their property? Don’t do business with them.
Do I have a right to take my homosexuality or transgenderism onto their property?

Old 09-17-2019, 08:12 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Does any notice how bizarre the analogies get? by people who are trying to set intellectual traps? Apparently they have agendas and don't realize or wish to acknowledge that you have/your right(s) are outlined in the constitution.

There is also priority of rights and some rights come into conflict with others. Read the preamble over and over. Sheesh ... I wish there was a vaccine against ignorance that would restore common sense. Revolutions do that too... Big thank you to our founding fathers.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:17 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No.
Freedom means you can say NO.
That does not mean the other person may not consent to your demands and conceal carry into your business anyway.
Even our courthouses are gun acceptable. Only the Courtroom is off limits to firearms and knives(arms)
You cannot carry guns into many courthouses. It is a state decision and in courthouses, you pass through the metal detector at the door. In fact, I'm not sure where it is allowed. What states allow guns in a courthouse?

https://www.ncsc.org/Topics/Courthou...d%20Courtrooms

Old 09-17-2019, 08:21 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Many liberals and Democrats support Walmart's activism and say that as a private business they should have the right to restrict people's rights to bear arms on their premises despite the 2nd amendment. Including banning people from open carry in states where it's legal.

However these same liberals and Democrats say a Christian business should NOT have the right to not endorse gay marriage. Many also say that even know the NFL is a private business, they should not have the right to make Colin Kaepernick stand for the national anthem. Anyone see the hypocrisy in this?
A private business should be able to legally discriminate. Property rights trump well intentioned morals. Just because one can do something doesn't mean they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies