Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 11:15 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That's what happens when you stop selling ammo to your Deplorable base. Profits drop and your base get's pizzed.
Oh please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ONLY on Chinese junk

why does a screwdriver need to be made in china, or overseas....are Americans incapable of making a screwdriver now-a-days??

tariffs are a good thing
Problem is that even with tariffs, the chinese screwdriver is cheaper than the American one. Not saying it's good or bad, just observing the facts. It has nothing to do with Americans are capable of, or even what they are willing to do. An American on Chinese wages would starve to death before their other health issues killed them.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
So the Chinese imported product goes up..........and what does your made in USA manufacturer do -- go ahead give you folks a minute to think about it. They raise their prices too. So then all the goods cost the same...lol. And we are back at square one.

Westinghouse lobbied Trump to raise tariffs on washing machines because they claimed they couldn't be competitive with Asian imports.

Trump did as they asked. So imported items went up -- and what did Westinghouse do -- raised their prices to the import prices...and because they could -- raised the price of dryers

So we are back to square one.

Last edited by moneill; 09-16-2019 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-16-2019, 11:30 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ummmm.....

You DO know that the whole point of tariffs is to get Americans to stop buying crap made in China ......

Right?

Walk into any Walmart.

Pick up pretty much anything on the shelves.

Look at the tag.

Wait I thought is was to balance the trade deficit and tighten intellectual property rights.

If it were just to stop buying Chinese made items..... you could do that without tariffs.

Oh yeah, you want to control what I buy.

That doesn't seem very American of you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wait I thought is was to balance the trade deficit and tighten intellectual property rights.

If it were just to stop buying Chinese made items..... you could do that without tariffs.

actually it is very American to level the playing fields.... the so called "free trade" agreements were very in American

as you can NOT have true free trade, when the playing field is not level (ie taxes, COL, and Wages)

I have been saying this on CD since before 2009

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11350141-post2.html

Old 09-16-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Yes if it was to get US to by American....raising the tariffs seems a round about way.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:59 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, this could put to rest the pundits who say there will not be any increases:
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/16/75371...mart-in-1-year

Those increases of 5 to 7% (bike screwdriver) are ADMITTED by the manufacturers to be due to tariffs costs. But, on cue, I'm sure many here will disagree with what the VENDORS THEMSELVES CLAIM. After all, the vendors don't know as much as the web sites that the Right read.
Companies increase prices all the time and like accuse others why they increase the price!

Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
worth every cent to bring China to bear!

so a bully steals your lunch money and wants more and you are willing to pay the increased ransom.

Remember the empire state bldg. lit up red and tallow to celebrate the 60th anniv of communist red china.

slap in the face of Americans.

Same people who whine about prices on junk items from china are the same people who elected Obama who promised skyrocketing energy prices. So you outrage about the cost of items made in china has fallen on deaf ears.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:11 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes if it was to get US to by American....raising the tariffs seems a round about way.

Trump and followers keep changing the goals if they don't score. The pain tariffs have caused the our economy just so the Chinese can't "win" is not worth it. We have an interactive world economy, in general terms you go for win/win agreements, not lose/lose.

The intellectual property issues ARE important, but dealing with it this way is doing nothing to solve it.

I DO think Trump will cave soon, so that's good. He'll proclaim it a win, but who cares at this point?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-16-2019, 12:14 PM

And let's remember -- Hillary Clinton and Trump both campaigned on issues with China on intellectual property and an imbalance of trade.

What differs is the methods used to get there.

Trump thinks the tariffs are instrumental but I don't know. It seems China is happy to play along and bump up their tariffs to match. That doesn't seem very effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies