Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 05:20 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
No, No, No....
"There's no other conclusion"...there is seldom a single conclusion.

"Everything else is about the same" No it is not! The level of physical activity between say, 1970 and 2019 has dropped dramatically.

I've been hiring carpenters for decades now and have yet to see a fat one...rarely even a bit overweight....

Calories in vs calories out .....
I have already shown that exercise does little for weight loss.

But actually, that doesn't even matter, because America is exercising more, but that’s not slowing down the rising obesity rate
Quote:
For a third year in a row, a majority of American adults are exercising as much as their government recommends. But that does not appear to be curbing the nation’s obesity rate, which in 2017 reached an all-time high.
Chart here: https://www.theatlas.com/charts/SJlAdbOFG

Another argument killed.

No, we are not getting more obese due to decreased exercise. Not that exercise makes much of a difference anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 05:24 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

But actually, that doesn't even matter, because America is exercising more, but that’s not slowing down the rising obesity rate

Another argument killed.

No, we are not getting more obese due to decreased exercise. Not that exercise makes much of a difference anyway.
Diet is a bog factor. Fitness helps but diet can determine if you lose or stay stagnant.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:31 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
I think that much of the problem is HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). Walk into a Wal-Mart and you will see many obese people, quite a few morbidly so. Then look at the labels on Wal-Mart food products, and note that most contain HFCS. Studies of rats have found that HFCS short-circuits a 'satiety' feed back loop.

There's an interesting chapter about HFCS in a book from about 10 years ago called The Big Ripoff by Tim Carney, a writer who was a protégé of the late Robert Novak. Carney notes that only one time did President Clinton send Monica out of the room so that he could take a phone call. That was a call from one of the Fanjul brothers, sugar barons from Florida. They run the sugar lobby and are incredibly powerful in DC. One of the brothers is R, and handles lobbying of Republicans, and another brother is D. Clinton took calls from US congress critters when Monica was in the room, but when the Fanjuls called he sent her out.

They have succeeded in maintaining sugar price supports that have enriched them, but also forced US food makers to switch from cane sugar to HFCS. And now you know the rest of the story....

Old 09-17-2019, 05:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Local businesses and small farms are highly inefficient so the market hates them. Investors focus on large global production and how to increase demand among consumers for the surplus in food.

The government wants more tax revenue so more consumption is something the state promotes. In the end the entire construct of our country, how we work, how we move, etc. is built around the principles of increasing revenue.

Local food supplies are more expensive, often less diverse (less to choose from), more seasonal, and requires some rationing by consumers. That's fine by me.

People will be happier in the long run. I'm vindictive so I think mount dew executives need to be arrested since they sell poison to kids worse than coca cola or Pepsi.
I love local business and small farms. I just stopped after work and got some fresh tomatos and onions. Yummy. I try to get all my vegetables there.

I DO also like coffee and have zero intention of not drinking it.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:38 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
All food has fake stuff added so that = fat. Plus more are lazy compared to the 1950's when food was real.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:38 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I think that much of the problem is HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). Walk into a Wal-Mart and you will see many obese people, quite a few morbidly so. Then look at the labels on Wal-Mart food products, and note that most contain HFCS. Studies of rats have found that HFCS short-circuits a 'satiety' feed back loop.

There's an interesting chapter about HFCS in a book from about 10 years ago called The Big Ripoff by Tim Carney, a writer who was a protégé of the late Robert Novak. Carney notes that only one time did President Clinton send Monica out of the room so that he could take a phone call. That was a call from one of the Fanjul brothers, sugar barons from Florida. They run the sugar lobby and are incredibly powerful in DC. One of the brothers is R, and handles lobbying of Republicans, and another brother is D. Clinton took calls from US congress critters when Monica was in the room, but when the Fanjuls called he sent her out.

They have succeeded in maintaining sugar price supports that have enriched them, but also forced US food makers to switch from cane sugar to HFCS. And now you know the rest of the story....
We literally put sugar and corn syrups into EVERYTHING. Someone is benefiting and it ain't the american people.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Massive subsidies for corn, wheat, and soybeans make processed unhealthy foods much cheaper than unprocessed foods like vegetables.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I think that much of the problem is HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). ....
It's tempting to think that HFCS might have something to do with it, but it appears there isn't really much nutritional or other difference between HFCS and regular sugar. They're both very similar.

So probably the problem is elsewhere.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

Another argument killed.

Ok, believe as you like, you obviously have all the answers, so why are you asking us dolts?

(Sidenote - I owned a successful personal training company with 10 trainers back in the 90s and we had a great success rate based on my training regimen, which included - guess what - a healthy high protein diet and a serious amount of exercise...worked then, works now)

Old 09-17-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Ok, believe as you like, you obviously have all the answers, so why are you asking us dolts?
It wasn't me who started this thread.

Quote:
(Sidenote - I owned a successful personal training company with 10 trainers back in the 90s and we had a great success rate based on my training regimen, which included - guess what - a healthy high protein diet and a serious amount of exercise...worked then, works now)
The healthy high protein diet probably did more to help your clients lose weight than the exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies