Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 08:23 AM

10,182 posts, read 6,238,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I am underweight due to hyperthyroidism/Graves disease. Thyroid -- too slow or too fast-- can alter weight but generally within about 15 lbs. one side or the other. My personal beef is that foods in the store are all becoming lower calorie/fat free which makes it harder for me to gain the weight and maintain it that I need. We don't all need to lose weight, thats all I'm saying.
My daughter has hyperthyroidism. She isn't underweight at all. Beautiful hourglass figure but she is a Vegan. Eats a lot of beans, pasta, breads, nuts, etc., and does her own cooking from scratch. Try doing your own cooking and forget all the processed food.

I myself am pretty much borderline underweight. If I do a lot of "running around" and don't eat enough (not hungry), I lose weight. More than a couple of pounds, then I get sick as well.

My husband has hypothyroidism. He needs to LOSE weight, and I certainly don't. I try to balance out our meals. Some diet meals for him. Some higher calorie meals for me, especially pasta dishes.

Is it genetic? Don't know. Can a parent have hypothyroidism with their child having hyperthyroidism? I have never been tested myself, but since childhood I have always lost weight very easily when I don't eat enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 08:33 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,369,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Prayer View Post
Thats a good suggestion.

We could also start occasionally interrupting our electrical power supply to help people understand just how important having a back up supply is, and how cheap solar power is when the alternative is nothing.
The disruption will be significantly less frightening after the tenth time the 'no electricity' practice drill is run.

I would also suggest turning off the water on a routine basis too. It is very easy to have a water harvesting and catchment system up and running for times of drought, shortage or power loss. We waste the thing we need the most in an emergency.

Once the power goes off the water pumps stop pumping and that means the toilets stop flushing.
It only takes about two days without flushing to really compromise the living envelope.

Think of all these things like the school fire drill.

We march the kids out onto the field to expose them to what its like JUST IN CASE a fire breaks out.

We should do the same with our utilities.
Consumerism has been the death of America. Just because global supply chains will be made less efficient doesn't mean local farm to plate businesses can't compensate.

As there will be less reliance on surplus meat production and corn syrup (among other things) smaller farms can reorganize their production to meet local demand.

There will be less food overall, but it will be more expensive so people on average will consume less meaning there wouldn't be any food shortages.
Healthier fresh food also means a better mental state of mind. I think indirectly this could help overcome a lot of depression and social anxiety in our culture as more people will spend more time outside and not cooped in. It also feels better to be healthier and allows people to perform basic tasks and even enjoy them to a greater degree.

Welcome to City-Data by the way.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 AM

33,466 posts, read 17,989,376 times
Anyone prone to gain weight will because they are stuck to their phone or computers. They don't get the exercise they did years ago.. Kids went out to play. Now they just look at their phone or play video games.. not healthy.. Thin people can be under active and have health issues as well. Just because someone is thin does not mean they are healthy.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:47 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,686,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Too much and the cost is too low. I know it isn't a popular argument to argue that food should cost more - it seems to go against everything we think we should think, but I indeed think food should be more expensive. It is currently kept artificially low by the collusion of big business and big government in the form of crony capitalism, and that should end, allowing the free-market of craft and local foods to continue to make a comeback.
Honestly, it's not even a matter of making bad food cost more. Truth is, if healthy food was more affordable, we wouldn't have so much obesity. Generally, people who the lowest incomes can't afford to eat healthy.

If you want to eat healthy, you have to spend more money. A good balanced diet with lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, etc.? Going organic? Gluten free? Low carb? No carb? No GMO? Superfoods? Whole wheat bread that is really and truly healthy? There's a steep mark-up for all of that kind of thing. A good healthy home-cooked meal takes time that most people don't want to spend.

Frozen pizza, burritos, pot pies, soda, Kool-Aid, hot dogs, etc. These things are cheap and relatively effortless to fix. Everything cheap is loaded with too much sugar, too much salt and too much other crap we really shouldn't be eating.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 AM

50,068 posts, read 46,625,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I am underweight due to hyperthyroidism/Graves disease. Thyroid -- too slow or too fast-- can alter weight but generally within about 15 lbs. one side or the other. My personal beef is that foods in the store are all becoming lower calorie/fat free which makes it harder for me to gain the weight and maintain it that I need. We don't all need to lose weight, thats all I'm saying.
I get a lot of calories from concentrated oils and fats. It's also more satisfying than trying to get 3-4000 calories ( or more) a day from carbs or veggies when I'm training for a big event.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:57 AM

13,616 posts, read 20,671,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Anyone prone to gain weight will because they are stuck to their phone or computers. They don't get the exercise they did years ago.. Kids went out to play. Now they just look at their phone or play video games.. not healthy.. Thin people can be under active and have health issues as well. Just because someone is thin does not mean they are healthy.
Indeed.

It is interesting to take a look at news clips from the mid 20th century. Not only are most people nicely dressed, but the are also almost always thin.

There was certainly consumerism then- it was the post war after all. But what was not present in abundance?

All night stores like 7-11, delivery services for any and all kinds of food, and a plethora of sweets to bring home and munch in front of the TV- even when I was a kid, ice cream was something you went out for. Now people stockpile huge tubs of it at home.No big gulps and only a few McDonalds here and there.

Blue laws began to fade and stores opened on Sunday and then all the time.

That was also the era before women started pursuing careers en mass, so home cooking still prevailed over take out.

People also did their own yard work rather than farming it out to others.

Consumerism is the same as it ever was. Culture has changed.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:00 AM

2,392 posts, read 2,957,922 times
We don't have too much food. I believe it all comes down to our economic system. People are working more to support themselves and keep their jobs. Last year in the U.S. 768 million vacation days were not used. People don't take time off to relax or time off to go to the doctor. They're overworked, stressed, and sleep deprived. To make up for the rest they don't get, they eat for energy. They are too tired and rushed to cook healthy meals. They go out to eat too much and eat too much fast food and prepared foods. Taking time off to care for oneself is not valued. Taking time off to decompress is discouraged. We should be encouraging people to take time off and take care of themselves, but we do just the opposite in this country. We are working people to death.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:04 AM

13,760 posts, read 5,487,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Consumerism is the same as it ever was. Culture has changed.
This.

As cultures get further and further away from building up and the sacrifices involved, shifting instead to living off the excesses provided by those who came before them and generally becoming more and more entitled, sloth and apathy set in across the entire range of cultural norms and behaviors.

History is pretty consistent on this trend, and we are no different.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:25 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,941,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
If restaurants served smaller portion sizes and lowered the cost for the meal, everyone eating out will be forced to eat less.
What? Restaurants, casual dining, and fast food outlets have all raised their prices, sometimes dramatically so. Has this stopped the lazy fat a$$es from walking in the doors? No, they keep buying the same unhealthy crappola and feeding it to their families to the tune of 5-10 pounds gained a year. Convenience over common sense, our society in a nutshell.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,085,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
And plenty of drinking booze helps as well. This person thinks everyone is fat if they don't like hot weather.
That's ridiculous. I'm 5'10 and 127 lbs and even for me anything over 65F is hot to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies