Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 02:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Both private ownership and free trade should be limited.
Piling up wealth is totally unnatural. In nature, when one animal piles up, say, food, others will increasingly take it away from it. Nor is there inheritance of wealth in nature.
Just another sign of humans being different from squirrels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 02:39 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Squirrels are not very social beings to begin with.
Still, we should observe nature and learn from it.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:47 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Its been observed in nature that animals that tend to be highly social, also tend to share food. This behavior has been observed in: Lions, wolves, birds which reside in flocks, various primates, etc.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:47 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Capitalism is a property theory, not a form of government. Capitalism can and does exist under all forms of government, from dictatorships to democracies.

Capitalism without regulation ultimately does not work, and will fail just as history is littered with examples of failed capitalist governments. Capitalism without regulation is essentially like modern drug cartels, no rules operations up to killing the competition.
Regulation is a fancy term for slavery - it’s government pointing a gun at people and forcing them to do things.

Please explain to me how that is a good thing.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
The part where people dare to disagree then the violence of capitalism starts. When a poorer country that has a lower education, technology and capital is forced to "compete" with richer countries in the "free" market. Pressures, sanctions and wars follows.

I support private property, but there are good arguments people make about education and health with respect to the community, that is to serve people for the sake of education and health rather than maximaxing profits.

I hope you don't have any more loaded question.
Nobody is forcing any poor country to compete with the rich countries. They do so under their free will.

Please explain to me why people must be forced at gunpoint to pay for your healthcare or education.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
You clearly have thought this through. Implication of any system of criminal law rests on the use of violence or threat of violence by those in the position of authority. Would you say that having a system of law is evil?

In a capitalist system what is stopping the poor from plundering the rich? Threat and implication of violence. Thus according to you, Capitalism must be an evil idea.

Social security
Debunked more than a thousand times.

Refusing to pay your social security tax and see how long you can live. Social security is nothing but slavery - forcing some people to pay for other people’s retirement. In which way is it moral, just or fair?

Old 09-20-2019, 05:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Regulation is a fancy term for slavery - it’s government pointing a gun at people and forcing them to do things.

Please explain to me how that is a good thing.
Having regulations on a factory, so something like Bhopal does not happen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster) is not slavery.

Having a legal status to work in the country is not slavery.

Not allowing a company to murder the competitor is not slavery.

Not allowing poisoned food to be sold is not slavery.

But again, you are confusing government with capitalism. Capitalism can exist with pretty much any form of government, and it does exist with many forms now days. A capitalist society can be exceptionally cruel, or can generate great benefits to its people, and anywhere in between.

The OP was "why communism was so appealing", and well, because those who embraced it generally were those who were experiencing the worse consequences of capitalism.

Communist theory was around for a while, it is not a new concept of the state controlling the means of production in some form or another. However, the key thing with Marx was the timing, the industrial revolution, along with the classical liberal era toppling/reforming monarchies, were in full swing and greatly transformed the world, especially the labor force.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:40 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
I have not read this entire thread, but my 2 cents is that a lot of the misguided thinking came out of academia. When I went to college many eons ago, several of my history professors were avowed Marxists.

Just as with academia's embrace of eugenics in the early 20th century. As Orwell said, "there are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them."

Old 09-20-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Having regulations on a factory, so something like Bhopal does not happen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster) is not slavery.

Having a legal status to work in the country is not slavery.

Not allowing a company to murder the competitor is not slavery.

Not allowing poisoned food to be sold is not slavery.

But again, you are confusing government with capitalism. Capitalism can exist with pretty much any form of government, and it does exist with many forms now days. A capitalist society can be exceptionally cruel, or can generate great benefits to its people, and anywhere in between.

The OP was "why communism was so appealing", and well, because those who embraced it generally were those who were experiencing the worse consequences of capitalism.

Communist theory was around for a while, it is not a new concept of the state controlling the means of production in some form or another. However, the key thing with Marx was the timing, the industrial revolution, along with the classical liberal era toppling/reforming monarchies, were in full swing and greatly transformed the world, especially the labor force.
What does “murder competition” mean?

You don’t need to add slavery (regulation) to freedom (free trade).

Please don’t confuse free trade with creating harm. Free trade doesn’t mean you are free to harm people or the environment.

If a company creates real harm, the executives need to go to jail or be executed. Insurance is there for disaster or accidents.

Do we have “regulations “ for preventing murder?

Old 09-20-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I have not read this entire thread, but my 2 cents is that a lot of the misguided thinking came out of academia. When I went to college many eons ago, several of my history professors were avowed Marxists.

Just as with academia's embrace of eugenics in the early 20th century. As Orwell said, "there are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them."
If they claim to be Nazis, wouldn’t they be fired in two seconds?

The fact they can openly claim to be Marxists and still have a job is a testament of our horrible education.

Compared to Marxists, Nazis would look like saints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies