Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 02:38 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The Department of Transportation (working together with the EPA) is explaining how they ARE doing it. Not how could they (future tense). You do not seem to realize what has already happened here.

It'll get thrown out in court.

There's nothing in the Clean Air Act about revoke the waiver.

A couple cases back in 2007 reinforced the waivers.

The fact that it's happening so close to Fed/Cali feuds is bad. Courts can find against the Feds on the basis that the Feds are trying to strong arm Cali. Add in the fact they've opened anti-trust investigations into the four major auto companies that agreed with Cali, it's very much not looking favorably for the Feds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 02:57 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It'll get thrown out in court.
CA is in the 9th circuit which used to be very liberals. However, Trump has appointed quite a few conservative judges so I think it's 50-50 in terms of liberals vs conservatives. I seem to recall a couple of 9th circuit decisions in Trump's favor recently, one being that asylum have to apply for asylum outside the US

Old 09-22-2019, 03:19 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,029,415 times
I don't understand. The same people crying about climate change, are the same people that are living and running such degrading places like LA and San Francisco, with trash and human feces everywhere, as well as drug addicts and homelessness, but they have the audacity to try and tell the rest of the country what they want, when they can't even take care of themselves?

Old 09-22-2019, 03:26 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
CA is in the 9th circuit which used to be very liberals. However, Trump has appointed quite a few conservative judges so I think it's 50-50 in terms of liberals vs conservatives. I seem to recall a couple of 9th circuit decisions in Trump's favor recently, one being that asylum have to apply for asylum outside the US
Liberal or conservative they are not going to win, or maybe you can tell us what the reason would be for denial according to the Clean Air Act.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:14 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Unfortunately, it isn't.

Nowhere is the situation worse than in Southern California, where researchers found a 10% increase in deaths attributable to ozone pollution from 2010 to 2017. The region has long reigned as the nation’s smog capital and has seen a resurgence of dirty air in the last few years, one that has sharpened the divide between wealthier coastal enclaves with cleaner air and lower-income communities farther inland with smoggy air.

By the end of this year, California regulators must present the federal government with a plan demonstrating they are on track to slash ozone pollution. Officials say it will take billions in spending to meet smog-reduction deadlines under the Clean Air Act

The war on Southern California smog is slipping. Fixing it is a $14-billion problem:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...701-story.html
Where in your reply do you prove that automobiles in 2019 are anywhere near the pollution levels of cars in the 60s and 70s?
Where does your post even prove that draconian restrictions on automobiles might have prevented the 10% increase in deaths?
Does your extremist source even realize the population growth in the area was likely 10% or more in the same time period?
"Officials say it will take BILLIONS in SPENDING!"
Im sure they do. Considering at least several percent or even more of that spending will trickle into their pockets in the form of graft and kickbacks in contracting, i bet they are just salivating.
Your post is just silly, nothing personal mind you.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I don't understand. The same people crying about climate change, are the same people that are living and running such degrading places like LA and San Francisco, with trash and human feces everywhere, as well as drug addicts and homelessness, but they have the audacity to try and tell the rest of the country what they want, when they can't even take care of themselves?
Stop making sense.
You know whats driving the rise in homelessness? Welcoming illegals. How obvious does this have to be? Theyve been coming for decades, like any commodity home prices and rentals are driven by supply and demand, the surplus population caused by illegals made demand surpass supply. Some of my liberal friends refuse to admit this.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Where in your reply do you prove that automobiles in 2019 are anywhere near the pollution levels of cars in the 60s and 70s?
Where does your post even prove that draconian restrictions on automobiles might have prevented the 10% increase in deaths?
Does your extremist source even realize the population growth in the area was likely 10% or more in the same time period?
"Officials say it will take BILLIONS in SPENDING!"
Im sure they do. Considering at least several percent or even more of that spending will trickle into their pockets in the form of graft and kickbacks in contracting, i bet they are just salivating.
Your post is just silly, nothing personal mind you.
So CA has to live with smog because its too expensive, I didn't hear the exact numbers in Trumps roll back.

"Officials say it will take billions" LOL
What is the damage to residents health in terms of pollution, what do "officials say".?
Those so called draconian restrictions are already a target in foreign countries, how do they survive.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:10 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,500,891 times
Right wing hypocrisy at finest! Alabama must be able to choose if they want to ban abortion - Federal Govt should keep their nose out but how come California decides about their own pollution - this is a Federal matter

Old 09-30-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So CA has to live with smog because its too expensive, I didn't hear the exact numbers in Trumps roll back.

"Officials say it will take billions" LOL
What is the damage to residents health in terms of pollution, what do "officials say".?
Those so called draconian restrictions are already a target in foreign countries, how do they survive.
No california has to live with smog because of its runaway population growth. And tell me what foreign countries have smog restrictions on their cars as strict as california?

Old 09-30-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
No california has to live with smog because of its runaway population growth. And tell me what foreign countries have smog restrictions on their cars as strict as california?
Some cities in India have even and odd days for cars and China has a lottery for car ownership, granted they are all much worse than California.

Its not just California's population driving the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies