Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 03:02 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Glad to see CA suing him. He has no right to interfere in their business.
Yup!

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/20/76276...ions-standards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 05:27 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He has the right actually the EPA has the right but they will lose in court.
Yeah, I thought conservatives were all about states' rights. I guess they are until they aren't.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
He has the right actually the EPA has the right but they will lose in court.
If they lose in court they don’t have the right.

There’s nothing in the legislation that started all this that outlines revoking the waiver.

There’s no precedent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yeah, I thought conservatives were all about states' rights. I guess they are until they aren't.
Same thing with budget deficits.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:13 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
If cars become cheaper and safer I'm all for freezing gas mileage standards where they are which is very good

Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
If they lose in court they don’t have the right.

There’s nothing in the legislation that started all this that outlines revoking the waiver.

There’s no precedent.

Same thing with budget deficits.
Correct, no one as of yet has been able to address how they would deny California's application for a waiver based on the 3 categories for denial. It will be an interesting day in court with the lawyers for the EPA defending why California needs a lower standard for clean air that the car companies agreed to, that will be one for the record books. We are truly in weird territory as we have been on many actions by Trump.

Its always entertaining to see his supporters try to make sense out of total insanity on all these issues.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:13 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Correct, no one as of yet has been able to address how they would deny California's application for a waiver based on the 3 categories for denial. It will be an interesting day in court with the lawyers for the EPA defending why California needs a lower standard for clean air that the car companies agreed to, that will be one for the record books. We are truly in weird territory as we have been on many actions by Trump.

Its always entertaining to see his supporters try to make sense out of total insanity on all these issues.
The Department of Transportation (working together with the EPA) is explaining how they ARE doing it. Not how could they (future tense). You do not seem to realize what has already happened here.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:44 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Enjoy yellow air. Good times.
Well, those emission standards by CA must not be doing much at all because when I first got to CA in 2015, I could see the air. When you said 'enjoy yellow air' it reminded me of when I first arrived.

No, it wasn't "pollen" like some people want to pretend, the air was yellow. Everywhere. I had just come from a very clean state to this dump hole where I could actually see the air.

My sister thought I was nuts, and I told her it's because she has lived in CA all her life - she can't see it because she's used to it. But when you come from clean air to CA, you can definitely see it. When I went to get my smog test, I told the guy that for the first time, I fully understand why cars need it because the air in CA is disgusting.

I've lived in WA, TX, NC, FL, ME, as well as CA. CA is the only place I've ever lived with air so filthy you can see it.

Now that I've been here a few years, I can no longer see it - just like the rest of the clueless people in CA.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
deflection.

Issue here is as a state, do they have the right to set environmental standards for themselves above and beyond federal standards.

I agree..California can set any standard they want but they can't set the same standard to the other 49 states....If auto makers want to abide by California standards they can have at it... if it makes economical sense to them.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:03 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, those emission standards by CA must not be doing much at all because when I first got to CA in 2015, I could see the air. When you said 'enjoy yellow air' it reminded me of when I first arrived.

No, it wasn't "pollen" like some people want to pretend, the air was yellow. Everywhere. I had just come from a very clean state to this dump hole where I could actually see the air.

My sister thought I was nuts, and I told her it's because she has lived in CA all her life - she can't see it because she's used to it. But when you come from clean air to CA, you can definitely see it. When I went to get my smog test, I told the guy that for the first time, I fully understand why cars need it because the air in CA is disgusting.

I've lived in WA, TX, NC, FL, ME, as well as CA. CA is the only place I've ever lived with air so filthy you can see it.

Now that I've been here a few years, I can no longer see it - just like the rest of the clueless people in CA.
Under certain conditions the air in any of the valley cities can be seen. LA is worse than most in that it is naturally polluted. It sits on a layer of petroleum that leaks out. So if you removed everyone it is still likely LA would not meet clean air standards.

You can see the yellow cloud over Las Vegas when we have an inversion generally in the winter. Rare but real.

And compared to the 60s and 70s LA is vastly better.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:22 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The Department of Transportation (working together with the EPA) is explaining how they ARE doing it. Not how could they (future tense). You do not seem to realize what has already happened here.
The same DOT and EPA that came up with 54MPG now wants 37 MPG, based on what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies