Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
They of course have legal status as long as they are DACA recipients. Fact of life. And they can likely continue to receive DACA status perhaps forever or until they receive a path to citizenship.

And the Dreamers are likely the last group of those in the country illegally who we remove. Perhaps after the over stayers and the short term residents. But most likely never.
Wrong. DACA does not confer legal status. Fact of life.

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/d...ary-injunction

Quote:
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals: Response to January 2018 Preliminary Injunction

Deferred action is a discretionary determination to defer a removal action of an individual as an act of prosecutorial discretion. Further, deferred action under DACA does not confer legal status upon an individual and may be terminated at any time, with or without a Notice of Intent to Terminate, at DHS’s discretion. DACA requests will be adjudicated under the guidelines set forth in the
June 15, 2012 DACA memo (PDF).
https://www.uscis.gov/archive/freque...sked-questions

Quote:
Q68: Does deferred action provide me with a path to permanent resident status or citizenship?
A68: No. Deferred action is a form of prosecutorial discretion that does not confer lawful permanent resident status or a path to citizenship. Only the Congress, acting through its legislative authority, can confer these rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 10:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
You folk continue to demonstrate you cannot understand what "legal" means.

The DACA recipients cannot be arrested, detained or deported. They can work. That is LEGAL...

Old 09-18-2019, 11:36 PM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Let me get this straight.

A DACA person (that is, an illegal alien) is going to waltz into a U.S. Federal court, identify himself as such to the judge, and demand free stuff?

Don't know if that's the classic definition if "chutzpah", or the classic definition of "stupid".

My advice: Bring popcorn. It should be entertaining. But the hearing might not last long.

(A DACA person, by the way, is usually someone from a foreign country who was brought in (illegally) at a very young age, often as a baby in his parents' arms, and who is still here at his now-older age (teenager, twenties etc.)
Not all, as I know several that were teenagers when they arrived and were old enough to know right from wrong.

`

Old 09-18-2019, 11:52 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Quote:
You folk continue to demonstrate you cannot understand what "legal" means.

The DACA recipients cannot be arrested, detained or deported. They can work. That is LEGAL...
Oh so the very federal government entity that created the program and administers it--THE U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION SERVICES--is wrong? It's there in black and white, spelled out in plain English. Even activist organizations that work on behalf of illegals will warn them that DACA does not confer legal status. A permit to work doesn't mean you have legal residency in this country, period. Again, from https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/d...ry-injunction:

Quote:
Deferred action is a discretionary determination to defer a removal action of an individual as an act of prosecutorial discretion. Further, deferred action under DACA does not confer legal status upon an individual and may be terminated at any time, with or without a Notice of Intent to Terminate, at DHS’s discretion. DACA requests will be adjudicated under the guidelines set forth in the June 15, 2012 DACA memo (PDF).
Quote:
Q68: Does deferred action provide me with a path to permanent resident status or citizenship?
A68: No. Deferred action is a form of prosecutorial discretion that does not confer lawful permanent resident status or a path to citizenship. Only the Congress, acting through its legislative authority, can confer these rights.
Here's a handy definition of terms from the Office of Immigration Statistic under the Department of Homeland Security.
https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-stat...ition-terms#11

Quote:
Legalized Aliens - Certain illegal aliens who were eligible to apply for temporary resident status under the legalization provision of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. To be eligible, aliens must have continuously resided in the United States in an unlawful status since January 1, 1982, not be excludable, and have entered the United States either 1) illegally before January 1, 1982, or 2) as temporary visitors before January 1, 1982, with their authorized stay expiring before that date or with the Government's knowledge of their unlawful status before that date. Legalization consists of two stages-temporary and then permanent residency. In order to adjust to permanent status aliens must have had continuous residence in the United States, be admissible as an immigrant, and demonstrate at least a minimal understanding and knowledge of the English language and U.S. history and government.
Nothing in there about DACA recipients. How do they define an immigrant?

Quote:
Immigrant - See Permanent Resident Alien.
Quote:
Permanent Resident Alien - An alien admitted to the United States as a lawful permanent resident. Permanent residents are also commonly referred to as immigrants; however, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) broadly defines an immigrant as any alien in the United States, except one legally admitted under specific nonimmigrant categories (INA section 101(a)(15)). An illegal alien who entered the United States without inspection, for example, would be strictly defined as an immigrant under the INA but is not a permanent resident alien. Lawful permanent residents are legally accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States. They may be issued immigrant visas by the Department of State overseas or adjusted to permanent resident status by the Department of Homeland Security in the United States.
DACA recipients are not permanent resident aliens. But they are illegal aliens who entered the US without inspection.

Last edited by Kaphawoman; 09-19-2019 at 12:03 AM..

Old 09-19-2019, 08:34 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Not all, as I know several that were teenagers when they arrived and were old enough to know right from wrong.
But aren't teenagers under the age of 18 considered minors and must do what their parents dictate (in most cases)?

Don't misunderstand that as a defense against their parents, though! I am completely against illegal immigration, although I would like legal immigration and citizenship to be made much easier.

However, to be clear and as I have said many times, I am totally against people here illegally who are over the age of 15 getting ANY kind of freebies except for life-saving emergency care. (If they are over 15, they can either work or go back to the country where their parents were born.)

Old 09-19-2019, 08:39 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Oh so the very federal government entity that created the program and administers it--THE U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION SERVICES--is wrong? It's there in black and white, spelled out in plain English. Even activist organizations that work on behalf of illegals will warn them that DACA does not confer legal status. A permit to work doesn't mean you have legal residency in this country, period. Again, from https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/d...ry-injunction:

Here's a handy definition of terms from the Office of Immigration Statistic under the Department of Homeland Security.
https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-stat...ition-terms#11

Nothing in there about DACA recipients. How do they define an immigrant?

DACA recipients are not permanent resident aliens. But they are illegal aliens who entered the US without inspection.
well done. reps to you.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:22 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We can and should deal with both the border jumpers and the visa over stayers. The latter of the two would be easier to accomplish as we have some records of them. Not so with the border jumpers.
indeed.

You start with what's easiest, as well as what's most important.

First, the border has to be much more secure, so we're not throwing folks out just for them to jump the border again. It also has to be fairly easy to correct e-Verify and gain full implementation.

Second, a policy that anyone who HAS overstayed a visa by more than a reasonable time - basically not more than a month - they no longer get admittance in the future. Unless, they self-deport within 3 months of this provision passing. We're told MOST illegals are actually overstayers. Great!

Third, we have information on the overstayers. The likelihood they're in the country but have assumed false identities has to be low. Three months after the above, if they haven't left, you go where they say they were going to be (I say this with the naive assumption that just as I have to tell the local Customs guy where I am going to be on vacation, they do as well). If they're there - easy. If they're not, then they're certainly using credit/debit cards and have an address SOMEWHERE.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:01 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

`
Once they turn 18 1/2 they are responsible for their own status in our country also so they can't continue to just blame their parents.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:59 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
So you wish to assert that over stayers, now half of the illegal aliens, are legal? They were admitted legally.

So your claim is that those who over stayer have a superior position to those who came as children without control and have grown up in the US?

And actually I do not believe that there is any way to suggest that children brought in entered illegally. They did not. The persons who brought them in has committed an illegal act but the children did not.

So the kids entry may not have been legal but it was not illegal either.

I also think you are making up words. Please cite an authoritative source that people brought into the US by others are in some illegal status.

A plane flying over the US between two other countries make an emergency landing. Those people are illegal aliens?
I hope you've re-read this in the last 24 hours, and realize how far you had to twist and torture it to try and
make a point.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I hope you've re-read this in the last 24 hours, and realize how far you had to twist and torture it to try and
make a point.
The point is that the Dreamers are the most desirable or at worst the least objectionable of all illegal aliens.

We should simply give them a legal status and then move on. i would think virtually all will eventually end up US citizens. But no hurry about that. Simply move them to some sort of LPR status.

The illegal alien problem is far to large too solve by any enforcement activity. So let's get the best of them out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies