Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 01:36 PM

15,733 posts, read 6,447,235 times

Advertisements

Whoops. Now we caught him wearing red face. People should stick to green or blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 01:37 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
So I just read through 10 pages of this thread. The left criticizing the right, the right criticizing the left... 'they' this and 'they' that.
Barely anybody actually criticizing Trudeau.

Could it be that this might be a topic, that if we stopped the usual knee jerk reactions and blaming, we might actually find some common ground?
Exactly -- this is a great opportunity to discuss how being 'blind' to racism doesn't excuse it.

You have to own it, acknowledge it exists and ask the people who are being hurt by it -- what can we do to change.

Trudeau could use this to his advantage.......problem is that there is a short time frame and I'm sure he is ready to move on from this issue and focus on what he thinks are the 'positives' of his campaign.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:38 PM

The cancel culture has been in the media because of the firing of the SNL guy who was in a podcast using '*****' to describe Yang.

For me that's a business move. SNL decided it wasn't good for business so they fired him.

This is different. Canadians should decide in the election what is more important.......and I suspect there are other issues that are more important.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:38 PM

52,529 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
That's the problem I have with it.

I'm black and honestly, blackface is laughable to me. The movie Tropic Thunder when Robert Downey Jr wore it was hilarious to me. They even had a White Chicks movie with the Marlons dressing as white women. Overall, I don't have a problem with it at all, tbh.

The issue is, the hypocrisy. They started all this outrage nonsense where everything is a -ist for no real reason and Trudeau has banked his entire campaign on it so it just makes him look quite silly. The "it's okay when we do it" mentality makes normal sane people give them the sideeye when they whine and cry when someone like Megyn Kelly literally gets fired for even mentioning it on her show (and I don't even like that woman)
that's a great example for comparison. she merely talks about it it and gets fired

Old 09-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's a great comparison. she merely talks about it it and gets fired
But that's a business decision. If Fox wanted to let her go that's on them. For them it was about making money not about doing the right thing...same with Riley.

(If you remember there was much talk that Kelly was already in the line of fire for Fox...they were looking for an excuse).

Old 09-19-2019, 01:45 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The cancel culture has been in the media because of the firing of the SNL guy who was in a podcast using '*****' to describe Yang.

For me that's a business move. SNL decided it wasn't good for business so they fired him.

This is different. Canadians should decide in the election what is more important.......and I suspect there are other issues that are more important.
The business move was due to the cancel culture (I am not even sure I agree with the term nor definition yet).

You would hope they vote on things that are important, but many vote straight party ticket without fail, or by emotion.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The business move was due to the cancel culture (I am not even sure I agree with the term nor definition yet).

You would hope they vote on things that are important, but many vote straight party ticket without fail, or by emotion.
THIS -- but right now in Canada lots of folks who are real liberals, are leaning towards voting for one of the other parties, Green or NDP & this would end up with the conservative party 'winning' and having a minority govt. So this kind of negative issue could seal the fate and make sure Trudeau is not the Prime Minister. Folks may vote Green or NDP & then the conservative party wins.

A little more strategy in Canada......

Old 09-19-2019, 02:11 PM

6,546 posts, read 6,703,323 times
Most of us on the "right" out here are not upset about his "transgressions" we are upset about the rank hypocrisy of Trudeau & his ilk using PC as a political bludgeon To beat the snot out of his opposition & the public in general...when all the time he knew that he had these incidents embedded in his past.

This guy has gone after children, in public, at their schools, to humiliate them about so-called "improper language". He has had no compunction to police his own citizens over a myriad of racial & cultural issues. If he gets chewed up by the forces he & his gang have unleased on the West...so be it! No pity from me. This is one guy who richly deserves to roast in the nasty sauce he has helped brew.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:15 PM

52,006 posts, read 52,457,444 times
I don't care for Trudeau, I think he's a wimp and a candy ass. That being said I doubt that he had racist intents, I can't say for sure, but assuming he was just going to a party that had an Aladdin or Arabia based theme I'm not one to get upset over these matters. To me it matters about the intent.

This was also a long time ago. Social mores change over time. It's a nothing burger story as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:22 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,477,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Unlike the U.S. very few Canadians are members of a political party - less than 3% of the population. There are no primaries so there is no need to officially declare a party preference. There is also no such thing as a “straight party ticket.” When Canadians go to the polls next month, their only vote is for the person they want to be their Member of Parliament.

It’s also not unusual for a person to vote for a different party in their provincial election whenever that is held.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies