Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,094,688 times

Advertisements

I just checked the sources cited by the report.

This is what I found.

38,396 deaths by firearms (includes suicides)

38,659 deaths by motor vehicle

They lied, motor vehicles caused more death than firearms, even when including suicides using firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 07:23 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The suckers that pay into the NRA are making dreams happen for....Wayne LaPierre!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1XbAbLFrPQ
5-10% of all gun owners. Whoopdeeedooo In your head rent free

Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
More states/cities are starting to make laws to either drive without texting or go hands-free. Many car manufacturers are now adding safety features that encourage more hands-free communication while driving.
So that will take care of the problem? Why don't we try simply passing laws that make it illegal to shoot innocent people for no reason? Then we won't have an issue with guns.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:53 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
More states/cities are starting to make laws to either drive without texting or go hands-free. Many car manufacturers are now adding safety features that encourage more hands-free communication while driving.
And distracted driving accidents are increasing. Are you handing in your phone ?

Old 09-19-2019, 07:55 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
How so?

I'm not pro-abortion at all. I believe a woman has the right to choose what she can do with her body. IO also explained the difference I see between someone choosing physician-assisted suicide and someone who on a whim picks up a gun and shoots themselves.

We haven't even mentioned the chance of accidentally shooting someone else while shooting yourself or the chance that instead of killing yourself, you simply become a vegetable instead.

I know a lot of folks seem to think all things are either/or. But most issues have many shades of grey and nuance.
If you are against something, you're not going to support the right of someone else to engage in something. Otherwise, you're not truly against something. At least not 100%, which is enough for me to make my argument. You just wouldn't make that decision for yourself, but that's different from being against the thing in question.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:32 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And distracted driving accidents are increasing. Are you handing in your phone ?
We really need to evaluate the education system in this country. That is evident from this thread.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:23 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Well there goes the "get rid of cars because more are killed in accidents than guns" NRA talking point.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...zP0AfljemAXZVk

This nonsense thread is completely untrue. There were far more deaths caused by firearms than automobiles in the late 1500's through the early 1800's. At the same time there were even more deaths due to infection and disease during those years. I also imagine that there were more than plenty deaths from falling off horses, horse drawn carts and buggies.

Anyone can use cherry picked and selective data in an attempt to advance the narrative they seek to push. Doing so does NOT make their claims true. It simply makes them dishonest, willing to write, do or say anything in order to further their agenda.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
Quote:
Most other civilized countries have a generally unarmed citizenry and are generally safer than the United States.

People should have the right to bear arms, but the second amendment is one of the most misrepresented pieces of the constitution, which was written in the 1780s.

I think the reason people get more concerned about gun deaths is often it was not the victim's own behavior that led to the gun death (except for suicide), especially in some of these recent mass shootings. Occasionally car accidents are. Some of the health issues are, some are not.
The first sentence is not really true. This myth is based on cherry picking certain countries with a high standard of living, and (often) relatively small, homogenous populations. Despite that, Japan, for example has much higher suicide rate than the U.S., Switzerland has an armed populace and is a safe country, England has essentially a ban of firearms and violence is rampant. Interestingly as some of these countries become more similar to the U.S. demographically, their violence is escalating, independent of anything happening with guns or gun laws. In other words, guns or no guns, culture dictates violence. Even on a smaller scale we see this in the U.S. in variations among states and cities. A very small percentage, something like 2%, IIRC, of all U. S. counties are responsible for the vast majority of violent crime in this entire country. See the accompanying graphs for example. The one showing all countries is maybe too small to show up legibly here but the red line is the U.S. The source is legible if you want to further verify it. The other graph shows that, despite record gun ownership in all of the Americas, the U.S. gun violence is nothing striking at all.

The second amendment is pretty clear in that the populace is to be armed, primarily as a last protection against tyranny. I think anyone who thinks any country is far too civilized to lapse into tyranny is being naive, just my $0.02.

I agree that any kind of crime perpetrated on a person who has done no wrong and is just minding their own business is reprehensible but taking guns away from law abiding citizens is not going to stop that. England is now in the just plain stupid position of trying to ban pointed knives because of the knife violence. Once a culture has a significant portion of the population that doesn’t value human life, there’s going to be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 marked first year firearms killed more people than car accidents-a6acff89-75e7-4ac4-baa2-9bf9b022fe27.jpeg   2017 marked first year firearms killed more people than car accidents-8474957e-8863-44f0-8dfb-d2f8801a9935.jpeg  

Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
A brief explanation from Penn and Teller.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O5IYKMalBEU

Old 09-20-2019, 09:26 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
We really need to evaluate the education system in this country. That is evident from this thread.
I'm just using the logic the anti gun crowd does.

So, 4015 teens die a year due to texting and driving. When will you be handing in your phone ? Think about the children, or don't you care that they are being senselessly slaughtered...11 a day !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies