Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 09:22 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,964,810 times

Advertisements

On the bright side, automobile deaths are down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 09:29 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,894,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
On the bright side, automobile deaths are down.
I like the way you think.

Everyone else:

Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Suicide by guns is more likely to result in death.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-po...y-suicide.html
Also guns are more often chosen by men committing suicide and men are more successful. Therefore men are better at choosing the right tool to get the job done.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:32 AM

15,697 posts, read 9,448,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
When Dr Kevorkian was doing his thing not once did a see a liberal have a problem with it. You want the guns, we get it. And you'll exploit any tragedy to get it. Not going to happen!
See, that's called an assumption. And we know what they makes you. I'll have to go back and find out if there was a mass liberal opinion on Dr. Kevorikian. I was in my 20s when he was doing his thing. Here's the difference between suicide where someone uses something close whether it is a gun, a knife or anti-freeze. It can be done in a minute or less. It can be done on impulse. With doctor assisted suicide, it takes a little while. You can't simply walk into an office or call the doctor for a visit and then be dead in an hour. With a gun, it can be a minute from the decision making process to lying dead in a pool of blood on the floor

Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times
Quote:
Well there goes the "get rid of cars because more are killed in accidents than guns" NRA talking point.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...zP0AfljemAXZVk
If I inferred correctly from the link, 60% of these deaths are attributed to suicide.

So long as the the suicide does not involve killing other people, I don't have a particular issue with it. Someone hell bent on offing them self, is going to achieve their goal, with or without a firearm.

The link also mentioned race and geographical location as critical factors. Hood rats in gang infested neighborhoods are more likely to kill and be killed by a firearm, than the general public. Again, that's choice and there's no fixing hood rat.

What seems to scare most folk are large victim count mass shootings- being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 AM

50,125 posts, read 46,734,976 times
Quote:
The NRA's logic is based on fear (which is emotional) and quite illogical.
Which is 5-10% of all firearm owners in the US.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
You are also pro-euthanasia?
I'm pro-end-suffering. If I can't do it myself, my wife knows exactly what is required. She wants the same. We have both seen family members with no chance of recovery be subjected to life extending procedures that really only extend the suffering.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The total black population is about 12% of the US population. "Young black males"-are about 3%. Yet commit nearly 50% of the murders...
And what percentage of young black males are victims?

Old 09-19-2019, 09:36 AM

50,125 posts, read 46,734,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
See, that's called an assumption. And we know what they makes you. I'll have to go back and find out if there was a mass liberal opinion on Dr. Kevorikian. I was in my 20s when he was doing his thing. Here's the difference between suicide where someone uses something close whether it is a gun, a knife or anti-freeze. It can be done in a minute or less. It can be done on impulse. With doctor assisted suicide, it takes a little while. You can't simply walk into an office or call the doctor for a visit and then be dead in an hour. With a gun, it can be a minute from the decision making process to lying dead in a pool of blood on the floor
Driving into a concrete pillar or jumping off a bridge works pretty fast too.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,721,097 times
Perhaps the NRA's new talking point should be: "Firearms, the surefire way to off yourself!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies