Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 10:10 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,920,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Its none of your business what LAW ABIDING US CITIZENS own.
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Not true. It becomes everyone's business, when your actions, legal or illegal begin to affect others around them in lethal ways.

First amendment is not unlimited - speech which leads to public harm is restricted; you can't cry "fire" in a a crowded theatre for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ech_exceptions

So it is surely reasonable that the second amendment has some common sense restrictions too.

Check out the sections on the SCOTUS and US Court of Appeals to get some understanding of the current restrictions on the second amendment. It is not unlimited. Might not happen here in 2019, but the day for bigger change will come. By the time Millenials and Post-Millenials reach their 60's for sure. We won't be around to see it, but it will happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...s_Constitution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 10:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
How many deaths could've been prevented in mass shootings if:

1) these people had access to smaller magazines
2) these people did not have access to guns mental to kill lots of people very quickly
3) better background checks were performed
I prefer the way Israel and some many other countries deem gun ownership a privledge, not a right.

I also appreciate gun ownership is well over the tipping point in the US and there is no reasonable way to change this. We have more firearms than people. Yet only about 1/3 of the population own a firearm.

I don't own a gun and likely never will unless I find myself living in a gang infested neighborhood or in a very remote location, which is not likely ever going to happen.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:14 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I prefer the way Israel and some many other countries deem gun ownership a privledge, not a right.

I also appreciate gun ownership is well over the tipping point in the US and there is no reasonable way to change this. We have more firearms than people. Yet only about 1/3 of the population own a firearm.

I don't own a gun and likely never will unless I find myself living in a gang infested neighborhood or in a very remote location, which is not likely ever going to happen.
Whats this "tipping point" you speak of?

Old 09-19-2019, 10:16 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
That’s because the news makes it so. As I said, the NUMBERS, would otherwise be lost in the forest. Can you name all other causes of death that are equal to the number per year that are murdered with firearms? I’ll bet you money you can’t because you don’t care about those other deaths, you only get angry about those caused by a specific object.
No, I do care about those, but things like Cancer, heart disease, car accidents, stroke, pneumonia etc all have very active groups trying to prevent future death related to them.

But I'm not going to walk into Walmart one day and suddenly succumb to Cancer out of nowhere.

People get flu vaccines annually.

Companies offer incentives to lower your health insurance.

Pneumonia vaccines are available for the elderly.

Most people in the country agree about trying to find ways to prevent those deaths.

Regarding guns, half the country is saying, "let's think of some measures to prevent more gun deaths" and the other half is saying, "no we're cool with those."

Old 09-19-2019, 10:16 AM

2,066 posts, read 899,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Of course we do-that's why it should be illegal. Look at all the lives we'd save.

I know - set up Suicide-free zones !

That'll solve the problem !

Old 09-19-2019, 10:19 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,920,745 times
Quote:

You are right about the fact that the country is now awash with weapons of mass lehality; the firearms industry has done a very effective job of feathering their nest at the expense of the citizenry by flooding the market. But I disagree that this can't be changed. It may take 10 years or even 20 years - but once a class of weapon is made illegal it will significantly affect the numbers of those weapons in the market, given time.

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
No, I do care about those, but things like Cancer, heart disease, car accidents, stroke, pneumonia etc all have very active groups trying to prevent future death related to them.

But I'm not going to walk into Walmart one day and suddenly succumb to Cancer out of nowhere.

People get flu vaccines annually.

Companies offer incentives to lower your health insurance.

Pneumonia vaccines are available for the elderly.

Most people in the country agree about trying to find ways to prevent those deaths.

Regarding guns, half the country is saying, "let's think of some measures to prevent more gun deaths" and the other half is saying, "no we're cool with those."
Just because you make something up, doesn't mean its true.

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
2017 marked first year firearms killed more people than car accidents
The solution is a gun in every hand.

This is Wayne LaPierre from NRA, and I approve this message.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 AM

2,980 posts, read 1,745,829 times
Quote:

Maybe move there?

Old 09-19-2019, 10:22 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The NRA's logic is based on fear (which is emotional) and quite illogical.
Uh, the fact that you went along with The Hill's title for your thread "...first time firearms killed more people than car accidents" reveals that your post was an attempt to stir fear into people, especially when you threw in "the chiiiiiiildren".

The original post is completely biased, does not tell the whole story, but you weren't counting on people knowing the stats, were you? That would make it illogical.

And now, since your half story has been called out, now you want to cling to suicide as if you ever meant that to begin with. Hanging is a pretty darn good way to make it final, as well. Jumping off of the Golden Gate Bridge is a pretty darn good way to make it final, as well. Jumping in front of a semi truck hurtling down the road is a pretty darn good way to make it final, as well. Many ways to off oneself and make it final.

Do you have any thread calling for banning bridges, anything that could be used as a noose, semi trucks, freeways, etc?

You were lured in by the headline, weren't you? Did you read the entire article? Maybe you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies