Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
So what are your solutions to reduce gun deaths?

Specifically what are your solutions to reduce gang-related violence?

Specifically, what are your solutions to reduce gun-related suicides?

Specifically, what are your solutions to reduce one-off mass shootings like Dayton, El Paso, Parkland, Vegas, etc?
Seems like you acknowledge that you just made up that bit that I quoted in red, so thats a start.

My solutions are pretty simple.

Enforce the rules in the books already, such as making sure the NICS database is updated in a timely and accurate manner. If not, then persons found to be responsible for not doing so are charged with a felony.

Significantly improve our mental health care in this country.

Significantly improve our educational system.

For the last two, that means stop just throwing money at these politicized entities and do things that actually make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 10:42 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
We understand how the left operates … incrementalism. AR-15's today, long guns tomorrow, handguns next week. Bump stocks yesterday, magazines holding over six rounds today, an "ammo tax" next week. Gun registration yesterday, a firearms owner database tomorrow, confiscation next week. Mandatory gun safes and trigger locks yesterday, fingerprint-reader firearms tomorrow.
I don't believe that's where it's going. Sorry you think that way. Everyone's looking for common ground. Perhaps you're not someone that can be reached on this issue. Same with those on the left that believe all guns should be banned. Most people in the country don't believe in either extremes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post

The line is in the sand, "No farther". I reject your statement … it is apparent to me that the left wants gun ownership limited to bodyguards of politicians and celebrities, and some police. Oh … and thugs and criminals, because by definition they don't give a flying eff about the law.
Other than that you reject my statement, this is wildly inaccurate.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
What legitimate purpose does someone have for a 100 round drum (Dayton) or an AK-47 style weapon (El Paso)?

Because they can on the magazine, and some people just like semi auto mag fed rifles. Do you think semi autos should be banned ?

Old 09-19-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Really sorry to see how effective the NRA is.

What does the NRA have to do with those facts that poster replied with ? The NRA doesn't influence me in the least. I've been a firearms enthusiast the past 28 years and was an NRA member for maybe 5 of those. I just recently signed back up though after the nitwits in California declared them a terrorist organization.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:49 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You are also pro-euthanasia?
If a woman has the right to end a fetus life because of a horrible disease that will effect the fetus, why shouldn't an adult have the right to terminate its own life if they have an intolerable condition?

Old 09-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Specifically, what are your solutions to reduce one-off mass shootings like Dayton, El Paso, Parkland, Vegas, etc?
Solutions have been posted, over and over and over again in many of the firearms threads...take the time to go and read them.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

Fingerprint- reader firearms would, over a period of time, go a long way towards mitigating gang related violence because most are not lawfully able to posess a firearm.

I am not into suicide prevention. ( There I sad it)

The one off high victim count mass shootings are a different animal. The semi- automatic seems to be the weapon of choice by those into the competition of killing the most people in a small window of time. Obviously such weapons make people feel powerful. And obviously, some of them are among the weakest creatures in the US from a stability standpoint.

Determining who is stable enough to own/ posess such firearms is highly subjective and anything but fool proof. Some countries solved this challenge by requiring certin weapons to be physically stored and used at only approved locations- gun clubs, ranges etc.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:01 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Fingerprint- reader firearms would, over a period of time, go a long way towards mitigating gang related violence because most are not lawfully able to posess a firearm.

I am not into suicide prevention. ( There I sad it)

The one off high victim count mass shootings are a different animal. The semi- automatic seems to be the weapon of choice by those into the competition of killing the most people in a small window of time. Obviously such weapons make people feel powerful. And obviously, some of them are among the weakest creatures in the US from a stability standpoint.

Determining who is stable enough to own/ posess such firearms is highly subjective and anything but fool proof. Some countries solved this challenge by requiring certin weapons to be physically stored and used at only approved locations- gun clubs, ranges etc.
I have a fingerprint reader on my cell phone, sometimes it takes 5-6 tries to get it right, sometimes it locks it and requires a manual input of a password. Do you really think thats a good idea for an item that is often needed in an emergency?

Old 09-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I have a fingerprint reader on my cell phone, sometimes it takes 5-6 tries to get it right, sometimes it locks it and requires a manual input of a password. Do you really think thats a good idea for an item that is often needed in an emergency?
Those that lack common sense don't care , what's one dead firearms owner ? Think of the children...

Old 09-19-2019, 11:33 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
First, it didn't jam in Dayton. So it's irrelevant.

Second. I don't really care what pictures you post. If you are okay with preventable death, just say "I'm okay with preventable death" instead of posting random pictures on the internet. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just a suggestion.
He could have accomplished the same with a C-Products 40 round magazine. He only shot 41 times.

It wasn't a random picture. It was purposely chosen to make a point. That Ruger Mini-30 is functionally the same as an AK-47. It is a semi-automatic, magazine fed rifle that shoots a 7.62x39mm cartridge. No one has ever questioned the ownership of a Mini-30 rifle.

And equivalent comparison would be like saying the Ford F-150 truck is evil and dangerous but the Chevy Silverado and Toyota Tundra are perfectly OK to own.

Also, I'm not OK with violence against innocents. On the other hand, I am not against violence. When required it should be swift, focused and rise to the level required to stop unnecessary violence.

You say this was preventable and I agree. This guy more than enough warning signs that he should not have been allowed to walk among peaceful people. If you want to blame someone, there are many people who knew him and ignored the warning signs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/u...nor-betts.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-says-n1039926
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/us/co...ile/index.html
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dayton-...ay-2019-08-06/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies