Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,688,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A liberal is one who takes essentially favorable view of human nature, and skeptical view of formal institutions, be they public or private. Liberals value the advancement of the individual, while regarding advancement of the group as being purely incidental. "Group" can mean village, city or nation. This is why liberals take an internationalist view, or as today might be termed, the "globalist" view. Liberals would be skeptical of any restrictive law, be it a restriction on abortion or on guns.

The chief difference between modern liberals and modern conservatives isn't over the "size" of government, but its geographic extent. Conservatives like strong local government, moderately strong state government, weak federal government and nonexistent international government. Liberals as basically the reverse.
This is complete BS. This is a distortion of liberals and conservatives and somewhat opinionated.

The internationalist stance is more neo-liberal, and there are some other things not exactly correct.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:51 PM

25,238 posts, read 18,397,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
What exactly is your definition of a liberal?
One who seeks absolute control over the actions, thoughts, and beliefs of others whilst claiming to detest those who seek absolute control over the actions, thoughts, and beliefs of others. Such a person is one step below a tyrannical despot because a tyrannical despot is at least honest concerning his or her intentions.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:21 AM

7,568 posts, read 4,111,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
One who seeks absolute control over the actions, thoughts, and beliefs of others whilst claiming to detest those who seek absolute control over the actions, thoughts, and beliefs of others. Such a person is one step below a tyrannical despot because a tyrannical despot is at least honest concerning his or her intentions.
My impression of liberals are people who believe that any feelings are valid as well as any maladaptive behaviors associated with those feeling are valid. They just don't like it when somebody acts out on them.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:11 AM

15,573 posts, read 10,282,358 times
According to the dictionary to be liberal:

1. willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.

2. relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.

the far left and far right are NOT liberal.

centrist americans, democrats and republicans, can both be liberal.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:23 AM

3,716 posts, read 1,408,804 times
Quote:

Can you be a Republican and still be a Liberal?
Is a Conservative Democrat still a Liberal?
Can a Republican disagree with a Trump or McConnell policy without being called a Liberal?

I here the word used to define everything now it seems. I saw a guy get called a Liberal for eating a salad at a sports bar recently, is that Liberal?

Just trying to figure out what the threshold is, what is the line that someone must cross to become a Liberal.
Like the word racist. The word liberal has lost its meaning. Even me for example. I had to stop using the moniker white liberals in favor of white moral liberals who's idea is it to protect and defend marginalized people and suppress ideas of speech and thought based on secular dogmatic moralism. Liberal supposed to defend the small persons ideas, speech even though such ideas are not agreed with not morally but logically.

I'm a liberal. I allow free speech just as long as it's not in regards of causing harm or death to persons, entity's or groups of people. I allow free thoughts of ideas. I won't call your employer or landlord on ideas or speech that one holds. If threating I will approach the police.

Right now we have a paradigm switch going on. In which those who seem liberal act like religious conservatives but using secularism as a religion which encompasses Islam, feminism, immigrants, black and brown and native Americans, while those on the right are becoming liberal by allowing individual freedom and defending rights of individuals just as long as ideas don't fridge on life and liberty.

I don't see sjws feminist, pro blacks, vegans as liberals. All such groups have a dogmatic identity that they follow for thier personal beliefs.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:24 AM

18,422 posts, read 9,041,735 times
A liberal is someone who eats babies, spits on the American flag, and hates Jesus.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 AM

34,107 posts, read 18,350,139 times
The Founding Fathers were "Liberals". Today that is a misnomer for what the LEFT actually represents. They are now Big Government PROGRESSIVES. Collectivists more in line with totalitarian regimes.

Last edited by Pilot1; 09-21-2019 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 11:41 AM

4,481 posts, read 1,832,079 times
Somebody who refuses, or is not capable of accepting that people are obligated to live with the consequences of their own decisions...resulting in the demonization of success and celebration of crime.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:52 AM

18,422 posts, read 9,041,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Somebody who refuses, or is not capable of accepting that people are obligated to live with the consequences of their own decisions...resulting in the demonization of success and celebration of crime.
And they eat babies. Don’t forget!

Old 09-21-2019, 11:56 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,728,576 times
Quote:

Can you be a Republican and still be a Liberal?
Is a Conservative Democrat still a Liberal?
Can a Republican disagree with a Trump or McConnell policy without being called a Liberal?

I here the word used to define everything now it seems. I saw a guy get called a Liberal for eating a salad at a sports bar recently, is that Liberal?

Just trying to figure out what the threshold is, what is the line that someone must cross to become a Liberal.
"Liberal" is an overused label, like "conservative" is. It tries to package up a bunch of beliefs into one word, and what exactly those beliefs are, is really up to the person who is using the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies