Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 PM

914 posts, read 642,084 times

Advertisements

I believe most places in the USA or even the UK would be better for people of color to live than many other countries who are actually much much worse than the USA. For example,

India: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47042681
China: https://qz.com/945053/china-has-an-i...cial-marriage/
and the list goes on to the most racist in the world:

"Sixty-one countries were included in the study, and Here is a conclusive list of all twenty-five countries deemed as being the most racist countries in the world, followed by a closer look at the top five most racist countries…"

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...ist-countries/

India
Lebanon
Bahrain
Libya
Egypt
The Philippines
Kuwait
Palestine
South Africa
South Korea
Malaysia
Nigeria
Iraq
Kyrgyzstan
Ecuador
Algeria
Pakistan
Yemen
Hong Kong
Russia
Thailand
Cyprus
Turkey
Morocco
Japan

Here in the USA, many many people of color get preferential treatment because of the EOE laws when it comes to jobs and promotions. However, I know the less affluent people of color are abused by police as was the case where they busted into an innocent families home over the weekend at 5AM! That story was horribly upsetting and makes me distrustful of rogue police:

https://fox40.com/2019/09/18/woman-c...ch-at-her-home

But it's still not even close to what goes on in other countries.

Overall, hatred is world-wide and most countries I know of, even the predominately black countries, are racist against people of color darker than their own. India, for example, say the darker your skin, the less valuable you are to society (see the first link above). Many darker skinned Indians become servants to the wealthier Indians because nobody will hire them. And some are hoodwinked into a fabricated debt to their master for life. It's an acceptable practice in India even today.

It's sad that people actually believe America is the worst racist country while the rest of the world practices things like social shunning and archaic "servant" trading for one purpose: to keep the blackest down in order to exploit.

Every country has their "blacks" and most, like the aboriginals of Oz are still treated brutally: https://www.welcometocountry.org/aus...iginal-people/

And even today, people of color around the world would probably welcome being here in the US over any other countries. But people like to hate the US, so be it. I bet those trying to get in know better.

Last edited by settled00; 09-19-2019 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Its not about outsiders pointing fingers at the global superpower and saying clean your own house first before you bother us. But rather those who live in the US or UK looking at what our parents did and trying to do better.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
People who think racism is terrible in the US clearly have not traveled much (beyond Canada and very specific western European countries).

Old 09-20-2019, 07:25 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
The U.S. is one of the most affluent nations in the world and is relatively peaceful. Due to its position in the world and those who fought for civil rights, it became a much better option for people of color in recent decades. However, there are various factors to weigh in determining whether it is better for a particular person of color and everything isn’t about race and racism.

Not sure where you have traveled OP but class trumps color in many places, although often intertwined with it. At the time my parents immigrated, the US was the best option. Today, the US wouldn’t be the best option. My parents’ country has made significant improvements economically so most of my family members abroad have little interest in coming to the US. There are better opportunities than before and less racism where our family is from.

So again, just depends.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
If America was as racist /sexist as the dividers would have you think, how did women and minorities get where they are?

Old 09-20-2019, 07:37 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Its not about outsiders pointing fingers at the global superpower and saying clean your own house first before you bother us. But rather those who live in the US or UK looking at what our parents did and trying to do better.
I love you.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:41 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
If America was as racist /sexist as the dividers would have you think, how did women and minorities get where they are?
Fighting tooth and nail.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Today's tolerated racism/sexism is mostly aimed at whites and men.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:51 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Today's tolerated racism/sexism is mostly aimed at whites and men.
not only tolerated, but encouraged.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:53 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I believe most places in the USA or even the UK would be better for people of color to live than many other countries who are actually much much worse than the USA. For example,

India: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47042681
China: https://qz.com/945053/china-has-an-i...cial-marriage/
and the list goes on to the most racist in the world:

"Sixty-one countries were included in the study, and Here is a conclusive list of all twenty-five countries deemed as being the most racist countries in the world, followed by a closer look at the top five most racist countries…"

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...ist-countries/

India
Lebanon
Bahrain
Libya
Egypt
The Philippines
Kuwait
Palestine
South Africa
South Korea
Malaysia
Nigeria
Iraq
Kyrgyzstan
Ecuador
Algeria
Pakistan
Yemen
Hong Kong
Russia
Thailand
Cyprus
Turkey
Morocco
Japan

Here in the USA, many many people of color get preferential treatment because of the EOE laws when it comes to jobs and promotions. However, I know the less affluent people of color are abused by police as was the case where they busted into an innocent families home over the weekend at 5AM! That story was horribly upsetting and makes me distrustful of rogue police:

https://fox40.com/2019/09/18/woman-c...ch-at-her-home

But it's still not even close to what goes on in other countries.

Overall, hatred is world-wide and most countries I know of, even the predominately black countries, are racist against people of color darker than their own. India, for example, say the darker your skin, the less valuable you are to society (see the first link above). Many darker skinned Indians become servants to the wealthier Indians because nobody will hire them. And some are hoodwinked into a fabricated debt to their master for life. It's an acceptable practice in India even today.

It's sad that people actually believe America is the worst racist country while the rest of the world practices things like social shunning and archaic "servant" trading for one purpose: to keep the blackest down in order to exploit.

Every country has their "blacks" and most, like the aboriginals of Oz are still treated brutally: https://www.welcometocountry.org/aus...iginal-people/

And even today, people of color around the world would probably welcome being here in the US over any other countries. But people like to hate the US, so be it. I bet those trying to get in know better.

Why would a person who has never lived in another country....nor plan on living in another country......care about racism in any other country besides the one they live? Maybe on some distant planet....millions of light years away....there are places so racist that you will be killed on site if you are of another race. Guess what.....what does that have to do with my planet and my country? Should I breath a sigh of relief because of what is going on a million light years away? I will never be there. I will probably never been in India either or any any of those countries....with the exception of Nigeria.

"isms" are more benign the more abundance there is. They become more pronounced as scarcity increases and things are seen as zero sum...then people tend to compete as groups for the scarce resources....or to oppress another group to lift their group up (seesaw economics).

The US is now, arguably, the richest country on the planet. There is abundance. There is little "zero sum" in reality. One group does not need to put another group down to make it. America still has a racist legacy.....but its not driven by economics and scarcity anymore, but rather, traditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies