Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 02:35 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times

Advertisements

Someone in Boston puts up white sheets of paper containing the phrase "Islam is RIGHT about women". Cognitive dissonance ensues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uAip2O0-k10

People are offended. But they aren't sure if they should be offended for Islam or for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
The Democratic Party is intellectualy and logically bankrupt.

You can't be pro-Women and pro-Islam, the 2 are mutually exclusive.

You can't be pro-Gay and pro-Islam, the 2 are mutually exclusive.

You can't be pro-Constitution and ....the list goes on folks...

Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
You can't be pro- any religion and also pro-gay or pro- women.

By the same logic.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:47 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
The Democratic Party is intellectualy and logically bankrupt.

You can't be pro-Women and pro-Islam, the 2 are mutually exclusive.

You can't be pro-Gay and pro-Islam, the 2 are mutually exclusive.

You can't be pro-Constitution and ....the list goes on folks...
You know what you can be? You can be pro RIGHTS including the rights of women citizens and the rights of people to practice their chosen religion in their own homes and hearts, even religions like Islam and Christianity that are so horribly awful. You can even balance being pro RIGHTS with pro societal protection. It's a thing.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:52 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You know what you can be? You can be pro RIGHTS including the rights of women citizens and the rights of people to practice their chosen religion in their own homes and hearts, even religions like Islam and Christianity that are so horribly awful. You can even balance being pro RIGHTS with pro societal protection. It's a thing.
Not really, how can they practice their religion without abusing their wives and daughters

Old 09-20-2019, 04:25 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Personal liberty comes into conflict with religion and ideology. Do people have the personal rights to practice religious tenants that directly violate society’s laws that protect the rights and safety of women and gay folks? I say no. They can practice their beliefs but they need to evolve and reconcile their religions or whatever with 21st century realities that guarantee the safety and well being of all. Otherwise, they go to jail hopefully for a long time.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:55 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
this sounds like ‘it’s ok to be white’ - SJWs will want to be enraged by it, but they’re not sure at whom, or for what.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Not really, how can they practice their religion without abusing their wives and daughters
So for myself, as a liberal and a feminist, I am not Islamic. And could not be. Personally, I think magic, punishing sky-Daddies are no more sensible than thinking Apollo drew the sun across the sky in his chariot. But as a voter and a member of society, it is not my role to decide for others how they should live their life or if they should worship a sky-Daddy. This is handy since legislating that sort of thing is not effective anyway.

One difference between liberal and conservative thinking is that liberals don't seek to decide on a single morality and then force and enforce that among the population. Morality is a personal journey. And that someone else' does not look the same as mine is not my responsibility.

Where it comes to women raised in or living in Islamic households, I do feel for them. That they face these struggles is a Very Bad Thing. But it is not a thing for legislation against their religion. I certainly think continued focus on a society free of sexual violence is a Very Important thing. But that needn't target Islam. It is a thing that crosses all creeds. And can be dealt with directly.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Personal liberty comes into conflict with religion and ideology. Do people have the personal rights to practice religious tenants that directly violate society’s laws that protect the rights and safety of women and gay folks? I say no.
Absolutely not. BUT there is no need to target the religion directly rather than the damaging behaviors directly. There is no shortage of Christian people trampling the rights of women and LGBT.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:36 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
One difference between liberal and conservative thinking is that liberals don't seek to decide on a single morality and then force and enforce that among the population.
LOL, yes they do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies