Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:14 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,602,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Hi folks. What are your thoughts on this new trend called cancel culture? The left who part of the woke dogma, and at times even the right cancels people put of society. At times facing excommunication from their peers, love ones community and employer. Also how do we navigate from cancel culture. Is thier a way for forgiveness and redemption. Will this cancel culture trend die out or burn itself out? Thoughts anyone?

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...-is-this-thing
Cancel culture is simply a modern manifestation of societal shaming, which has and will always exist. Virtually all social norms we take for granted today evolved from individuals not wanting to be excluded from society and thus "getting with the program". It's a hardwired way civilizations build cohesion rather than descend into anarchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:23 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,487,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Cancel culture is simply a modern manifestation of societal shaming, which has and will always exist. Virtually all social norms we take for granted today evolved from individuals not wanting to be excluded from society and thus "getting with the program". It's a hardwired way civilizations build cohesion rather than descend into anarchy.
No, it is the brass knuckles of the Democrat left's cultural Marxism regime. I

Old 09-27-2019, 06:26 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,750,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I’m sure you felt that way for the Dixie Chicks.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:28 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times
I appreciate knowing if my money is going to a cause I don't agree with.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:06 PM

28,623 posts, read 18,673,721 times
Quote:

It's different now because of its reach. In the past, yes, being shamed in the village meant moving out of the village and finding a new life somewhere else.

However, first, rarely did people bother dig up long-past dirt that hadn't already been known. Usually those who had the means to dig up dirt had enough dirt of their own they were trying to keep hidden.

Second, there were other villages to go where nobody knew who you were.

Neither is true today.

John Wesley was a Christian theologian who, as a young man, believed a person must achieve perfect sanctification to be saved. As he grew older, he gave up that notion.

As I've grown older, I can look back on a lifetime of stupid actions. In my case, I was pretty tame as a teenager and a young man, living a well-ordered life in a military community. So like most young people, I had a high regard of my own morality and little tolerance for the errors of others. I made my most stupid choices after the age of 30. But with a lifetime now behind me, the harshness of my moral judgment has been greatly ameliorated. Most people grow past their minor indiscretions, just as I have, so I don't major in the minors.

Today, though, society is being funneled more and more through the moral level of children (which would have included me in my teens and 20s) who have too much power, power to communicate globally in a day, power to dig up anyone's history, and a curious new desire to deconstruct everything.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:14 PM

28,623 posts, read 18,673,721 times
Quote:

These days it's more akin to swarming sharks.

There is no social cohesion. At any given moment, the swarm instantly turns on one of its own with a whole new way to create division.

So we have Pete Buttigeig, a homosexual, who is "not ***** enough" for the homosexual community.

We have actress Ruby Rose, self-proclaimed "gender fluid" playing the role of a lesbian...but that's objectionable because she's not "truly lesbian."

We have a champion of women's liberation, Germaine Greer, rejected by young feminists (who know nothing of the struggle) because she refuses to accept someone with a penis as "Woman of the Year."

They don't create cohesion, they break down their own communities into smaller and smaller pieces.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:45 AM

3,732 posts, read 1,425,818 times
The reporter who got Carson king canceled by Busch just got fired for his past tweets that are deemed as racist.

https://youtu.be/bTGqf7L18TE

Old 09-28-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Both sides participate in cancel culture. It's not only the cultural Marxist left.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think it is a terrible trend by the uptight New Victorians on the Left. They are really giving conservative Christians a run for their money in the social control stakes.
Yes. I thought of this myself. I do see the left of today as moral Victorians of the mid 19th century. The left through a academia controls what is morally right and morally wrong. The church used to once control the position or morality.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:55 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,648,878 times
"Cancel culture", otherwise known as consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies