Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 09:23 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Welcome to the hypocrisy of the democrats.

Like labeling everything 'Fake News' while supplying nothing factual with their own reporting?

Oh! Wait!

It's not a Democrat behind that movement!

Never mind.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
NO.....your "end of story" clearly implied that there should be no consequences to this black person making an antisemitic comment. Only after I called you out on it, as No Recess pointed out, did you reverse and say there should b consequences.

And in MY original post, I was addressing the hypocrisy of a black politician fighting back against racism and bigotry while making anti-Jew comments - and then having other black politicians defend her, as is what happened here.
Clearly you misunderstood because I have clarified my point.

No where in my original point did I suggest there shouldn't be consequences. And my posts have been quite consistent on this message board...I believe in consequences for bad behavior.

You misunderstood, have been corrected and still choose to make up what I said and meant.

And yes it is hypocritical of this person to use language that is not acceptable given their situation.

Folks are quick to attack and quick to defend depending on their political agendas.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:26 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,500,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
In 2019 every should know that using a term like that is a nasty thing to say. To say otherwise is garbage. We said lots of things back in the 70s and 80s that we now know were nasty and as times change we move forward we all know that that term is an ugly one and shouldn't be used.

For some reason black people seem to get a pass when using derogatory terms for other people. Me as a middle aged white guy can't say a damn thing. LOL, we're pretty much on the bottom rung of the intersectionality totem pole.
Yes, the willingness of so many liberals to excuse or downplay antisemitic comments made by blacks makes me wonder: are they simply unwilling to criticize blacks, or are they more tolerant of ant-Jew comments than they would be if some similar bigoted comments were made against any other group, including blacks themselves, or Latinos, or Muslims, or gays?

I think it's a bit of both.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:36 AM

8,331 posts, read 2,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
is it even that inappropriate? It simply means that one is good at bargaining a better deal.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
In 2019 every should know that using a term like that is a nasty thing to say. To say otherwise is garbage. We said lots of things back in the 70s and 80s that we now know were nasty and as times change we move forward we all know that that term is an ugly one and shouldn't be used.

For some reason black people seem to get a pass when using derogatory terms for other people. Me as a middle aged white guy can't say a damn thing. LOL, we're pretty much on the bottom rung of the intersectionality totem pole.
What racist double standard? ;-)

Old 09-23-2019, 10:39 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Quote:
NO.....your "end of story" clearly implied that there should be no consequences...

I think that's you projecting, honestly.

I read "end of story" as in "there is no excuse/justification for what was said".

Old 09-23-2019, 11:16 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Yes, the willingness of so many liberals to excuse or downplay antisemitic comments made by blacks makes me wonder: are they simply unwilling to criticize blacks, or are they more tolerant of ant-Jew comments than they would be if some similar bigoted comments were made against any other group, including blacks themselves, or Latinos, or Muslims, or gays?

I think it's a bit of both.
I think it is both also. Blacks get a pass because today's Progressives are so riddled with White Guilt they can't help themselves. Also, many just dislike Jews, well because they're Jews. Even Secular Progressive Jews often don't support other Jews. It as if they are ashamed to be Jewish for whatever reason.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:38 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,600 times
..wonder if people would be so 'up in arms' if this clown used the word 'gypped' (derogatory term for gypsy's) instead of 'jew down'...

Old 09-23-2019, 12:09 PM

7,089 posts, read 4,521,984 times
Growing up in the Midwest it was a common expression 65 years ago. Thankfully whenever I go to visit I never hear anyone using it anymore.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
..wonder if people would be so 'up in arms' if this clown used the word 'gypped' (derogatory term for gypsy's) instead of 'jew down'...
When I was growing up I heard gypped and jewed down and a whole slew of other terms. When I was a kid people just said that stuff and as a kid I never gave it much attention. That was a long time ago. I think people should make efforts to be more respectful in general. Being polite is never a bad thing in my opinion.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:16 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Growing up in the Midwest it was a common expression 65 years ago. Thankfully whenever I go to visit I never hear anyone using it anymore.
As a little kid in the 80's in my tiny home town, it was one of the first phrases I learned. Super common.

Sometime in my early teens maybe, I learned that Jew was a people and religion, not a different word for bargain. It was always used in a way that implied total victory in the bargaining process. Baseball cards, a used bicycle tire, someone's older brothers shirt with skulls or swear words...

Stranger yet is there were basically no Jewish people in my hometown. Yet it's still a common saying. Not sure how it arrived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies