Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 06:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times

Advertisements

It's stunning how much people will approve of the messenger ... when they support the message.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:53 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,143,889 times
Sound familiar?

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/statu...21680999124992

Old 09-27-2019, 07:03 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Perfect, there's now a helpline for all you "adults" on here who get irrationally angry over a Swedish girl who wants to save the planet.

"If you're a grown adult who needs to yell at a child for some reason the Greta helpline is here to tolerate you.

"She's making the end of the world sound like it's . . . the end of the world. "

"It's OK, we understand that children acting like adults can make adults act like children."

"Have you considered launching your own significant global movement? But it's so much easier sh!tting on someone else's."

"Because we all know when it comes to climate change, she's (Greta) is the real problem."
noting that she's ridiculous ≠ anger.

try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7kKxbl-ILI

Old 09-27-2019, 07:08 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Quote:
Oh, just a few things.

- Started Friday's for Future

- has already inspired the world with her passionate pleas for climate justice, sparking a seemingly unstoppable wave of activism.

- Because of her, this last week 4 million people across the world joined the effort to push world leaders to act on climate change.

- sailed across the Atlantic Ocean from Plymouth, UK, to New York, US, in a 60 ft racing yacht equipped with solar panels and underwater turbines to promote importance of reducing emissions.

- Spoken at climate rallies in Stockholm, Helsinki, Brussels and London

- Spoke at the UN

- Speech was influential enough to be shared well over a million times.

- after her speeches, various politicians have acknowledged the need to focus on climate change.

- a doubling in the number of children's books being published which address the climate crisis was reported, with a similar increase in the sales of such books—all aimed at empowering young people to save the planet. Publishers attribute this to the "Greta Thunberg effect"

- Inspired by Thunberg, wealthy philanthropists and investors from the United States have donated almost half a million pounds to support Extinction Rebellion and school strike groups to establish the Climate Emergency Fund.Trevor Neilson, one of the philanthropists, said the three founders would be contacting friends among the global mega-rich to donate "a hundred times" more in the weeks and months ahead.

- In June 2019, Swedish Railways (SJ) reported that the number of Swedes taking the train for domestic journeys had risen by 8% from the previous year, reflecting growing public concern about the impact of flying on CO
2 emissions that is highlighted by Thunberg's refusal to fly to international conferences. Being embarrassed or ashamed to take a plane because of its environmental impact has been described on social media as 'Flygskam' or "Shame of flying", along with the hashtag #jagstannarpåmarken, which translates as #istayontheground

- She's already a hero & inspiration to many young people as well as older people as you can see above.

This all before the age of 18
What is she saying that hasn't been said?? That Al Gore didn't say when he was the golden boy of global warming?

Not sure how wealthy philanthropists and investors donating money is going to do to solve the issue? It's somewhat like throwing money into a fire. A lot of promises and ideas are thrown about but nothing rarely gets done.

We know the issues but we are just dancing around them hoping that a miracle solution appears so we DON'T have to change our way of life.
  • Needless Consumerism (Apparel, footwear, tech, etc)
  • Food Waste
  • Ineffectiveness of Recycling in certain sectors
  • Quantity Reproduction over Quality Reproduction

Imagine if we were to tell the The Wonderful Company LLC, "You need to shut down Fiji Water. It's not environmentally sustainable. Transporting water from Fiji in plastic bottles just doesn't make sense. Instead invest in local water filtrating systems."

Old 09-27-2019, 11:39 AM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Flash back to the 70s when I was little kid. The doomsayers had my first grade class trembling the we would be a giant Ice ball in the year 2000. They should be ashamed of themselves

Old 09-27-2019, 12:14 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
That reminds me of that editorial toon where the cartoonist was inspired by Charles DeGaulle who shouted "Vive le Québec libre" in 1967.
https://twitter.com/35_Jojo_35/statu...65516493377537

And there's a more recent toon where she's with the current mayor of Montreal, Valerie Plante.
https://twitter.com/JdeMontreal/stat...97806475833346

Btw, should I mention then more Greta memes keep coming and coming like this one?
I should start making memes. That one after your "Btw" was exactly what I thought when I first saw that photo of her with all that food. "Sure, Greta, you're living the hard life."

I love that someone did that - it's hilarious.

Quote:
Perfect, there's now a helpline for all you "adults" on here who get irrationally angry over a Swedish girl who wants to save the planet.

"If you're a grown adult who needs to yell at a child for some reason the Greta helpline is here to tolerate you.

Is that number the same as the one the left needed when they lost their ish over the Covington kid for wearing a MAGA hat, and, horror of horrors, smirking? You remember those kids, right? The ones who went to a March for Life march trying to save babies from being slaughtered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
What is she saying that hasn't been said??

We know the issues but we are just dancing around them hoping that a miracle solution appears so we DON'T have to change our way of life.
  • Needless Consumerism (Apparel, footwear, tech, etc)
  • Food Waste
  • Ineffectiveness of Recycling in certain sectors
  • Quantity Reproduction over Quality Reproduction

All of those in that list cost nothing. Stop buying crap. Stop wasting crap. Stop spawning so many kids. Cost: $0.00

But that isn't what "man made 'You've ruined my life' climate" hoax is all about.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 09-27-2019 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 12:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Students in Delhi are already joining the Fridays For Future & are questioning the Modi government's actions, and evaluating its pledges.

The U.S. is the world's 2nd largest greenhouse gas emitter & Greta has already had a large positive effect here (see above.)
As the League of Women Voters likes to say, "Marching is not enough-Vote".
https://www.google.com/search?sa=N&q...w=1898&bih=964

Old 09-27-2019, 12:35 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,377,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I should start making memes. That one after your "Btw" was exactly what I thought when I first saw that photo of her with all that food. "Sure, Greta, you're living the hard life."

I love that someone did that - it's hilarious.

Is that number the same as the one the left needed when they lost their ish over the Covington kid for wearing a MAGA hat, and, horror of horrors, smirking? You remember those kids, right? The ones who went to a March for Life march trying to save babies from being slaughtered?

All of those in that list cost nothing. Stop buying crap. Stop wasting crap. Stop spawning so many kids. Cost: $0.00

But that isn't what "man made 'You've ruined my life' climate" hoax is all about.
That green in the meme should be money flowing down.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:10 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post

Flash back to the 70s when I was little kid. The doomsayers had my first grade class trembling the we would be a giant Ice ball in the year 2000. They should be ashamed of themselves
Truly...they stole your dreams and your childhood.

Something we must note is that this young lady is an Asperger's patient, and one of the more notable symptoms of that disorder is the tendency to irrationally obsess over issues over which the patient has little or no control. It's surprising how many on this board have deceived themselves into thinking that, in Ms. Thunberg's case, this bizarre obsession represents some upwelling of inspired moral courage regarding the planet and our environment, when in truth and in fact, it is merely an uncontrollable mental tic altogether too characteristic of Asperger's, as well as other disorders on the autism spectrum. An uncontrollable mental tic, we must note, that is being exploited by her Antifa parents for their own financial ends.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:07 PM

5,101 posts, read 2,046,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I wonder if Severn Cullis-Suzuki might sue Greta for plagiarism?

There's one guy on Twitter who did some parody of Greta's UN speech.
https://twitter.com/NetHistorian/sta...22455213387777

And that parody got some imitations like this one.
https://twitter.com/MurdockThePooch/...36365115252736

Edit: Greta Thunberg is now in the internet meme hall of fame with some others memes like Willy Wonka, Big Lebowski, Aids Skrillex, Trigglypuff, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies