Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 08:51 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
In those preceding paragraphs, Pompeo is referring to the letters sent to the 5 current and former State Department staffers/ambassadors requesting a voluntary appearance, not the subpoena to Pompeo - which is something entirely different. Jeez, people need a lot of hand-holding on this site.
I'm not sure any amount of hand-holding would be enough to convince someone pretending to be stupid to stop pretending to be stupid.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:54 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
The attempt will fail, 100%. No need to even consider its success
Maybe yes, maybe no. I believe Pelosi's calculation is that plenty of damning information will come out during formal impeachment proceedings and swing public opinion (at least outside of Trump's core base) strongly against Trump. This will give the Republicans in the Senate the option between (i) impeaching the President and leaving the party a mess with no chosen candidate shortly before the elections; and (ii) stonewalling the impeachment against public opinion at the risk of being seen as complicit and being duly punished come election-time, both of would appear to be equally unappealing.

Whether it works that way, I have no idea. But the Ukraine narrative is a straightforward one that the public appears to understand. Support for impeachment has shot up in the past week, particularly amongst college educated whites and suburbanites. Regardless of whether that support holds up in the long term, if you think certain GOP Senators aren't starting to sweat about that, you are almost certainly wrong.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:02 AM

996 posts, read 378,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
i believe Nancy Pelosi knows what she is doing better than you do. Case closed.
So far it doesn't appear she has actually accomplished much but keep CNN and MSNBC in business.

Do you really think the Senate will get 2/3 votes on what we have seen so far ?

She has handed the ball off to Adam Schiff. He has yet to deliver and lies constantly.

If he doesn't hit a home run...well....

Old 10-03-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Maybe yes, maybe no. I believe Pelosi's calculation is that plenty of damning information will come out during formal impeachment proceedings and swing public opinion (at least outside of Trump's core base) strongly against Trump. This will give the Republicans in the Senate the option between (i) impeaching the President and leaving the party a mess with no chosen candidate shortly before the elections; and (ii) stonewalling the impeachment against public opinion at the risk of being seen as complicit and being duly punished come election-time, both of would appear to be equally unappealing.

Whether it works that way, I have no idea. But the Ukraine narrative is a straightforward one that the public appears to understand. Support for impeachment has shot up in the past week, particularly amongst college educated whites and suburbanites. Regardless of whether that support holds up in the long term, if you think certain GOP Senators aren't starting to sweat about that, you are almost certainly wrong.
You left out a few details

1. Nancy needs a Floor Vote in the House for " Articles of Impeachment"
In public view.

2. Those Articles are presented to the Senate for trial.
In a trial , presided over my Roberts, witnesses and evidence will be subject to cross examination, and Republicans can offer potential evidence to contradict what is in the Articles.

Will Democrats want to have their part in all of this presented to the American people?

Will Democrats in districts that voted for Trump want his to happen ?

Old 10-03-2019, 09:10 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
You left out a few details

1. Nancy needs a Floor Vote in the House for " Articles of Impeachment"
In public view.

2. Those Articles are presented to the Senate for trial.
In a trial , presided over my Roberts, witnesses and evidence will be subject to cross examination, and Republicans can offer potential evidence to contradict what is in the Articles.

Will Democrats want to have their part in all of this presented to the American people?

Will Democrats in districts that voted for Trump want his to happen ?
Nothing you wrote affects my analysis. She has the votes to file Articles of Impeachment now and, should more evidence come out, will further bolster her position. With respect to the reference to "Democrats in districts that voted for Trump," one would plausibly infer that they had buyer's remorse in 2018 when they voted for a Democrat Representative.

Again, I'm not saying my analysis is perfect or that it will necessarily work out that way. Rather, I think this is what Pelosi is thinking.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:15 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,557 times
Quote:

Do you also think hillary is the president?

Old 10-03-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Nothing you wrote affects my analysis. She has the votes to file Articles of Impeachment now and, should more evidence come out, will further bolster her position. With respect to the reference to "Democrats in districts that voted for Trump," one would plausibly infer that they had buyer's remorse in 2018 when they voted for a Democrat Representative.

Again, I'm not saying my analysis is perfect or that it will necessarily work out that way. Rather, I think this is what Pelosi is thinking.
If she has the votes , why not take the vote ? You know why.
She only " has the votes" if she actually conducts the voting.

" should more evidence come out"

More evidence? Isn't the phone call the evidence? Another fishing expedition looking for a " crime". Haven't Americans been forced to walk that path before? How did it turn out ? Every time ?

Right now her entire position , and that of Democrats , is innuendo. That's th eonly evidence. An opinion.

" plausibly infer"

Under the present conditions, that can not even be thought of. You are underestimating the voters , and are too fixated on " polls' and surveys.

Will Democratic members of the house from Trump districts let it be known in public that they support this type of procedure ? vote for impeachment

Since Day One , and even before, we have heard threats of Impeachment. Over , and over again. We have seen a Hoax , a cloak and dagger attempt to undo an election. We have seen boycotts, Lawsuits, " bombshells" " sensational testimony" .
And we will see more when the IG and Barr finish up investigating.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:25 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,553,414 times
Quote:
Whether it works that way, I have no idea. But the Ukraine narrative is a straightforward one that the public appears to understand.
I've heard this talking point being parroted a lot but oddly enough when people are asked what specific crime the president is being abused of you never seem to hear an answer.

Everyone knows what crimes Bill Clinton was accused of, perjury and obstruction of justice, and there was an air tight case against him. Even that wasn't enough to mitigate the fallout from the failed coup.

What hope do Democrats have if they can't even point to what crime they believe the president committed? Sure that kind of thing isn't needed for the "orange man bad" crowd who has wanted Trump impeached since before he took office, but even slightly impartial people are going to need more.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:39 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Trump is urging China to get involved in his smear-Biden-conspiracy.

Pelosi is right. No rush. Give him some time and Trump will impeach himself.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:41 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,477,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump is urging China to get involved in his smear-Biden-conspiracy.

Pelosi is right. No rush. Give him some time and Trump will impeach himself.
He can't help himself. He has definitely gone off the rails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies