Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 10:58 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Trump is America's Answer.
Trump is Lady Liberty's Answer
Trump is Freedom's Answer.

I know the use of the term DemocRAT is offensive to some, so I hereby offer my sincere apologies to the four-legged rodents for associating them with the party of the Jackass(es)
Did you type this with one hand?

Old 09-26-2019, 11:03 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,076,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Did you type this with one hand?
Although a Trump guy here, that made me chuckle.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:06 AM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You can not trust the media reporting. ABC News story that was widely reported revealed to be lies.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/st...57248004579329
No way would I defend media reporting as some holy entity. Like you, sometimes I'll take the time to dissect and independently research a story to find errors. Some appear to be deliberate omissions; other times the writing appears designed to confuse or mislead. From relatively infrequent personal dealings with the press, some reporters working quickly simply do not grasp nuances or misunderstand a complex issue.

I've only recently started following this, but what appears clear from a quick attempt to resolve seemingly conflicting information is that there is a lot of game-playing going on within the Ukraine. This has been true in the past with public pronouncements a cover for intended corrupt activities. Now there's jockeying for position under a new administration. Then add in Ukrainian desperation to please a powerful US president upon whom they are dependent. (For example, was Shokin about to reactivate the investigation into Burisma or, per some reports, was that a feint in a bid for bribes from Zlochevsky.)

At a minimum, caution would be wise. Many nations or cultures consider Americans to be too trusting. We are too quick sometimes to believe what we are told. This has been demonstrated repeatedly in various settings and complex offshore business situations. (For example, the Chinese made mincemeat of the US corporations that rushed there in the 1980s.)

Old 09-26-2019, 11:10 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
You can not trust the media reporting. ABC News story that was widely reported revealed to be lies.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/st...57248004579329
This is a big lie, and everyone has already fallen for it.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
No time to go back, but from memory what if both have some basis in reality. Why does everything in this forum have to be expressed as either black or white?

From memory, the implications of the original ABC story was there was an "understanding," everybody "knew" it - or some such words. The above tweet uses the word TELL. We know there were previous contacts between Giuliani and the Ukrainian administration about Biden. Zelensky pronounced himself well-prepared; HE brought the subject up.

This ^^^ is the same issue as the "quid pro quo" during the Trump-Zelensky call - the distinction between clear connections not made but expectations clear.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:20 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
and why should we believe him? He is a known to be corrupt and dishonest. He has plenty of reason to lie.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:27 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
https://twitter.com/tomselliott/stat...11952344510465

Democrat chairman of intelligence committee Schiff completely changes the words in the official phone call transcript to fit his narrative.
..and got hammered for it. hard.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:38 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
..and got hammered for it. hard.

Plenty of people still believe that Sarah Palin said she can see Russia from her house. The same people are going to believe that Schiff quoted Trump accurately.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
and why should we believe him? He is a known to be corrupt and dishonest. He has plenty of reason to lie.
Here: I went back to copy an earlier post:

----
But, and what's a tad strange ... in quickly flipping thru the transcript there is this line: Zelensky - "He or she will look into the situation, specifically to the company that you mentioned in this issue."

Trump NEVER mentioned the company in that transcript, unless I'm blind. What he told Zelensky was this - "The other thing, here’s a lot of talk about Biden’s son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great. Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it… It sounds horrible to me."

What's that about? An earlier conversation? A truncated transcript or other error? Zelensky misspeaking, and meaning not Trump in that conversation but to Trump concerns that had been relayed through Giuliani?

In any case, this call seems but a choreographed formality in series of interchanges. See report from a Ukrainian official that Trump would not talk or meet directly with Zelensky without the Biden discussion (Serhiy Leshchenko, former member of Ukraine's Parliament, who now acts as an adviser to Zelenskiy: "This issue was raised many times. I know that Ukrainian officials understood.")
----

1. Zelensky was so well briefed on Biden that HE started added details into the conversation (understanding that Trump wanted an investigation of the company).

2. Not always wise to parse a sentence out of context, but the quote is "This issue was raised many times. I know that Ukrainian officials understood.") The word "issue" - was it the issue of the Bidens etc. or the specific demand for them to included in the phone call. That the next line is "Ukrainian officials understood") suggests to me that they "got it," the unspoken quid pro quo. He's not referring to them understanding a plain English sentence! This phone call was happening because of the Biden issue (along with the servers).

But again, that's how I read it. Others may differ.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:03 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Plenty of people still believe that Sarah Palin said she can see Russia from her house. The same people are going to believe that Schiff quoted Trump accurately.
Schiff's paraphrase was accurate.

I don't fault him for trying to dumb it down for Trumpists, in order to try and help them understand the gravity of the wrongdoing by this maniac.

They are some of the dimmest bulbs we have in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies