Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:09 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,368,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Hate's a strong word. I really just pity the fools.
It is a strong word but look at public opinion surveys about "inter-political" marriage.

When Gallup surveyors posed that question in 1958, 18 percent said they would want their daughter to marry a Democrat and 10 percent a Republican, while an overwhelming 72 percent said they wouldn't care.

That same question now: “Twenty-eight percent of respondents said they wanted their son or daughter to marry a Democrat and 27 percent a Republican, leaving only 45 percent to say they didn't care.”

https://www.voanews.com/usa/us-inter...y-frowned-upon

Old 09-25-2019, 10:19 PM

6,288 posts, read 2,846,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
It is a strong word but look at public opinion surveys about "inter-political" marriage.

When Gallup surveyors posed that question in 1958, 18 percent said they would want their daughter to marry a Democrat and 10 percent a Republican, while an overwhelming 72 percent said they wouldn't care.

That same question now: “Twenty-eight percent of respondents said they wanted their son or daughter to marry a Democrat and 27 percent a Republican, leaving only 45 percent to say they didn't care.”

https://www.voanews.com/usa/us-inter...y-frowned-upon
I wouldn't marry an idiot. Unless she had a really hot bod. Or a billion dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
This is the meanest moderated forum I've ever seen. I'm no angel myself, but folks really do seem to be losing it lately. Whether you hate him or love him, you have to admit that Trump has been one of the most divisive presidents in history - if not THE most divisive. I'm not looking forward to the months to come what with this impeachment thing heating up plus the coming 2020 elections.

It's like Americans live in two completely different countries and have no desire whatsoever to understand where the other side is coming from. Our poor country - no good can come from this.
How much history have you studied? You know we had a civil war, right?

And check this out:
Quote:
A new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll conducted over the past fractious, violent week shows a majority of voters think that President Donald Trump has done more to divide the country than unite it since he took office last year — but that the national news media are even worse.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...n-trump-952209

Old 09-25-2019, 10:21 PM

5,055 posts, read 2,985,787 times
I don’t hate anyone, but for me this is comedy gold. The community I live in was 95% in the bag for HRC. Wednesday after election night was like a communal dirge. Old biddies who were smiling the day before scowled at me when I said “good morning”. The next two years were tough at community get togethers as I listened to endless BS predictions about crimes, indictments, and hard time in jail for DJT, any.day.now. This latest spasm and nothingburger is the best so far.

We must be careful here and not gloat too much, the throes of a dying animal are often the most dangerous.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:23 PM

9,918 posts, read 5,594,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
This is the meanest moderated forum I've ever seen. I'm no angel myself, but folks really do seem to be losing it lately. Whether you hate him or love him, you have to admit that Trump has been one of the most divisive presidents in history - if not THE most divisive. I'm not looking forward to the months to come what with this impeachment thing heating up plus the coming 2020 elections.

It's like Americans live in two completely different countries and have no desire whatsoever to understand where the other side is coming from. Our poor country - no good can come from this.
Let's be honest , the division predates him. Trump is at least as much if not more a symptom of the division as a cause. A country with even a somewhat cohesive body politic doesn't NOMINATE someone like Donald Trump, never mind elect him.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:23 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,726,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
As a democrat it's very frustrating to see Trump get away with his constant crimes.
You let Hillary get away with deleting emails that she was supposed to hand over to the state department and rigging the primaries.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:24 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,336,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
As a democrat it's very frustrating to see Trump get away with his constant crimes. Can you imagine if Joe Biden used the office of the Presidency to bribe a foreign leader? They would hang Biden. He would be disgraced 24/7. But Trump is somehow above the law? Get this trash out of office before he gets us all killed and destroys the environment. ACT NOW
Act!? Ok what should I do?

Make a retarded, deranged post on an internet forum about about the environment and blame Trump instead of China and India?

Old 09-25-2019, 10:32 PM

6,288 posts, read 2,846,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I don’t hate anyone, but for me this is comedy gold. The community I live in was 95% in the bag for HRC. Wednesday after election night was like a communal dirge. Old biddies who were smiling the day before scowled at me when I said “good morning”. The next two years were tough at community get togethers as I listened to endless BS predictions about crimes, indictments, and hard time in jail for DJT, any.day.now. This latest spasm and nothingburger is the best so far.

We must be careful here and not gloat too much, the throes of a dying animal are often the most dangerous.
Do you ever give them a "Heil Trump"" salute? I made a joke about how he won the trade war with Canada and got an earful of bile from a libenutter.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:36 PM

29,184 posts, read 22,227,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
THE most divisive? Stop smoking crack.

American Civil War for $500 Alex.
You're right, but you also kicked up the divisiveness with that smoking crack comment.

This kind of meanness was what happened increasingly in the 10 years before the Civil War began. It escalated every year until the war finally broke out.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:50 PM

77,956 posts, read 60,120,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Yes, it is safe to say we hate each other. The political divide in this country is the political equivalent of the Hatfield and McCoy feud...
BS. I just spent time with a bunch of people at the other ends of the political spectrum.

Don't get confused extrapolating some of the furthest-fringe and vocal wingnuts with the vast majority that are reasonable people, even if some of them are partisan, most people are at least still sane.

So yeah, if you think it's really that bad I suggest a vacation or spending some time other than you normally do. Most of us are reasonable even if we have biases.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:01 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,906,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Let's be honest , the division predates him. Trump is at least as much if not more a symptom of the division as a cause. A country with even a somewhat cohesive body politic doesn't NOMINATE someone like Donald Trump, never mind elect him.
I agree with this. In fact I have posted in the past that Trump is a symptom - not the disease itself. That said, Trump has done nothing whatsoever to heal the divisions within America today - instead he has made them worse.

As for those who want to claim that Lincoln was the most divisive president ever, I beg to differ. Lincoln was all about bringing the country back together. Remember the Gettysburg Address which ends with these words:

"It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Yeah, Lincoln was a terrible president, Trump is such a vast improvement. Have you people finally lost your minds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies