Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 02:01 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,783 times

Advertisements

Like a frog in a pot of water that is about to boil....”What, me worry? Everything is just fine!”.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:05 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I used to live in Washington State. I spent many years climbing and skiing in the mountains and warming has melted a good fraction of the glaciers. The same thing is happening in the Canadian Rockies and in the Alps in Europe. A destructive beetle - the Pine Beetle - which was never seen in Washington because it was too cold is now killing trees there including two on our land.

Now I live in Hawaii and here the coral is dying or dead from warmer water. When coral dies, the local fish that live around it either die or leave. There are huge swaths of ocean surrounding Maui that are dead.

The effects of AGW creep up and every year will be a little more unless we do something. California has had a lot of bad drought recently. Is that from warming? Hard to say but if it keeps up, at what point do you say it now time to do something? Personally I think it is time to do something.
How do you know that warmer water is the cause of changes in the coral? Has every other cause been ruled out?

Old 09-28-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Like a frog in a pot of water that is about to boil....”What, me worry? Everything is just fine!”.
The problem with that "logic" is that there is:

1. No definitive evidence of warming in the last 20 years

2. There is no definitive evidence that CO2 is the cause of presumed "warming"

3. There is no evidence that there has been any negative effects of increased CO2 to man or the environment.

Anecdotes and suspicions of what MIGHT occur is not the same as scientific evidence of what HAS OCCURRED.

There is no evidence of ANY verified adverse effects of AGW- only predictions that have not come true:

1. food production is up

2. There has not been mass migration from the coasts

3. There has been a reduction, not an increase, in hurricanes

Old 09-28-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The military is being forced to deal with it by dems in Congress. Storms and their destruction on bases and ports is something they will have do deal with. That is a far cry from weighing in on what is causing them.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...change-debate/

The incidence of violent storms and hurricanes have gone DOWN, not up. Facts are funny details that get in the way of our beliefs and opinions.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:21 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
The OP asks how has the CO2 rise affected you? While the effects of increases in CO2 are wide ranging one of the most noticeable is in pollens. Pollen allergens have expanded exponentially in the last decade. If you are an allergy sufferer you are well aware of the increase in pollen. One thing you may not know is that even those who show no signs of pollen allergy symptoms still are susceptible to lung damage from pollen.

I am amazed at the number of people who stick their heads in the sand when it comes to climate change. I believe they feel they will be long gone before climate change affects them directly. This begs the question; do these people care about their children, grandchildren, and future generations? Apparently not. Their attitude; I'm just fine and to hell with the rest of you. Sad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEhKSWYGluk

Old 09-28-2019, 03:22 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I used to live in Washington State. I spent many years climbing and skiing in the mountains and warming has melted a good fraction of the glaciers. The same thing is happening in the Canadian Rockies and in the Alps in Europe. A destructive beetle - the Pine Beetle - which was never seen in Washington because it was too cold is now killing trees there including two on our land.

Now I live in Hawaii and here the coral is dying or dead from warmer water. When coral dies, the local fish that live around it either die or leave. There are huge swaths of ocean surrounding Maui that are dead.

The effects of AGW creep up and every year will be a little more unless we do something. California has had a lot of bad drought recently. Is that from warming? Hard to say but if it keeps up, at what point do you say it now time to do something? Personally I think it is time to do something.
Mountain Pine Beetle has been around for centuries in eastern Washington. Here is some background on the species:

https://apps.fs.usda.gov/r6_decaid/v...ne_beetle.html

Outbreaks are cyclical and related to the health of trees. On the eastern slope of the Washington Cascades the current beetle outbreak is more related to the Clinton Forest Plan to save the spotted owl than anything else. Unhealthy and weakened trees are much, much more susceptible to mountain pine outbreaks.

I just read that the last century in California was the WETTEST is 10,000 years. That simply means that the current agricultural and urban lifestyles in California are NOT sustainable today.

Here is an interesting book to read on climate change in the western US over the past 10,000 years.

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520...-without-water

The real scientific issue is how much is natural climate change and how much is man-caused?? Read the book, BTW...the author does believe in man-caused climate change, but when you see the natural variation in climate....it will scare the pants off you!!!

BUT your right we need to do something. TODAY!!!

Governors Newsom, Inslee, and Brown can TOMORROW reduce CO2 emissions by 30% by simply going back to a 55 MPH speed limit. They have the authority to do it....no permission needed from Trump, the Legislatures or the voters. THEY NEED TO DO IT NOW!!!

Then we can work on reducing jet travel to 1970's levels in the next year. It would be helpful to have a month or so.....with NO AIR TRAVEL world wide to see its effect on climate change.

There you go time to get started and 55 MPH is the FUTURE.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:32 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,120 times
You are obsessed. Why do you think that is?

What exactly is the extreme harm that will be done to you by changes desired by the actual climate activists? What will be the extreme harm if they are wrong? What will be the negative consequence if being kinder to the earth is all for naught?

And to answer your question...I don't think I have been harmed at this point. It doesn't mean I don't care. I'm capable of caring.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:43 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Yes, in a sense it has changed my life.

Four years ago I moved from Seattle to Kansas City because Seattle didn't get much snow (I'm a snow lover). Seattle used to get a little more snow than it does in recent years, and the increasing lack of it was a bit frustrating. So I moved to a snowier locale to get more snow.

Kansas City, being in the more southerly parts of the Midwest, doesn't get big wads of snow, but it's still more than Seattle. That said, I won't be surprised if I move to a snowier locale still someday if snow amounts in KC also start to taper off.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:46 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Do people really believe that nothing is ever supposed to change on the planet, and if it does it's a disaster of our making that requires us to give trillions of dollars to various causes? The planet is in constant flux, no matter WHAT we do it's going to change and that may be good or bad for us but it is what it is.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:53 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
You are obsessed. Why do you think that is?

What exactly is the extreme harm that will be done to you by changes desired by the actual climate activists? What will be the extreme harm if they are wrong? What will be the negative consequence if being kinder to the earth is all for naught?

And to answer your question...I don't think I have been harmed at this point. It doesn't mean I don't care. I'm capable of caring.

Depends on which actions being advocated by climate activists you're talking about.

Banning cow farts for example.......

How exactly does one do that in a practical sense?

Do you have some miracle pill that will make cows fart less? Bovine Beano?

Or is the solution banning or taxing beef so much that cattle farming gets too expensive to exist as it is known today?

See, everything SOUNDS good until you get down to the nitty gritty details.

Last edited by FatBob96; 09-28-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies