U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2019, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Michigan, Maryland-born
130 posts, read 32,384 times
Reputation: 238

Advertisements

Truth in Accounting says "The study ranks the states according to their Taxpayer Burden or Surplus™, which is each taxpayer's share of state bills after available assets have been tapped."

10 states had a net surplus per tax payer - starting with the best they are: 1 Alaska, 2 North Dakota, 3 Wyoming, 4 Utah, 5 Idaho, 6 Tennessee, 7 South Dakota, 8 Nebraska, 9 Oregon, 10 Iowa....


The 10 states with the largest burden per tax payer are:

41. Vermont -$19,000
42. New York -$20,500
43. California -$21,800
44. Kentucky -$25,700
45. Delaware -$27,100
46. Hawaii -$31,200
47. Massachusetts -$31,200
48. Connecticut -$51,800
49. Illinois -$52,600
50. New Jersey -$65,100

This raises concerns about unfunded future liabilities and debt if a severe recession were to hit these states. We need adults to be "adults." Make cuts, make an increase in taxes, eliminate unnecessary waste.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/li...oklet-2019.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2019, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,937 posts, read 8,002,275 times
Reputation: 12828
Aside from #44, guess what the Top 10 all have in common?......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2019, 09:55 PM
Status: "Death to all but metal" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Nevadafornia
5,664 posts, read 3,413,735 times
Reputation: 3778
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Truth in Accounting says "The study ranks the states according to their Taxpayer Burden or Surplus™, which is each taxpayer's share of state bills after available assets have been tapped."

10 states had a net surplus per tax payer - starting with the best they are: 1 Alaska, 2 North Dakota, 3 Wyoming, 4 Utah, 5 Idaho, 6 Tennessee, 7 South Dakota, 8 Nebraska, 9 Oregon, 10 Iowa....


The 10 states with the largest burden per tax payer are:

41. Vermont -$19,000
42. New York -$20,500
43. California -$21,800
44. Kentucky -$25,700
45. Delaware -$27,100
46. Hawaii -$31,200
47. Massachusetts -$31,200
48. Connecticut -$51,800
49. Illinois -$52,600
50. New Jersey -$65,100

This raises concerns about unfunded future liabilities and debt if a severe recession were to hit these states. We need adults to be "adults." Make cuts, make an increase in taxes, eliminate unnecessary waste.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/li...oklet-2019.pdf

Notice how most of the states (except for Kentucky) with the largest taxpayer burden are terrible blue states.



And notice how the states (except for Oregon) with the lowest taxpayer burden are red states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,937 posts, read 8,002,275 times
Reputation: 12828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Notice how most of the states (except for Kentucky) with the largest taxpayer burden are terrible blue states.

And notice how the states (except for Oregon) with the lowest taxpayer burden are red states.
Liberals do.

That's why this thread is not taking off. If this was a thread relating to a perceived threat to race, gender, or sexuality, it would be a 10 page long echo chamber by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 03:48 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
32,902 posts, read 37,374,091 times
Reputation: 39944
Increase taxes ?

That just accelerates the rich leaving those states. Which is what is happening.

Taxes are already sky high in most of those states. Spending is the problem.

And corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Barrington
47,492 posts, read 34,843,953 times
Reputation: 15728
Speaking for my state, it’s all about unfounded pension obligations which goes back nearly 70 years. . Illinois is one of 7 states with Constitutions that guarantee accrued public benefits cannot be reduced.

Unlike the Federal Government, a state can’t print money.

Unlike a municipal government, a state cannot file for bankruptcy protection.

The current governor seems to be banking on the legalization of marijuana to save the state. Unless and until surrounding states , Ky, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa and Missouri ( separated by the Mississippi River) make weed legal, there will be interstate trafficking. Some of these states continue to oppose medical marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 PM
 
52,881 posts, read 42,547,096 times
Reputation: 33145
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Speaking for my state, it’s all about unfounded pension obligations which goes back nearly 70 years. . Illinois is one of 7 states with Constitutions that guarantee accrued public benefits cannot be reduced.

Unlike the Federal Government, a state can’t print money.

Unlike a municipal government, a state cannot file for bankruptcy protection.

The current governor seems to be banking on the legalization of marijuana to save the state. Unless and until surrounding states , Ky, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa and Missouri ( separated by the Mississippi River) make weed legal, there will be interstate trafficking. Some of these states continue to oppose medical marijuana.
Don't forget the expanded gambling too!

Most of the states with the huge debts are ones with way too many public employees and enormous, politically awarded, pension plans. I have MANY members of my family as IL teachers both current and retired.

The state of IL can't print money, but it can suck back as much money as possible from the cities, municipalities and of course...not pay their bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
4,345 posts, read 787,245 times
Reputation: 1410
Exclamation The 'Illinois Exodus'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Don't forget the expanded gambling too!

Most of the states with the huge debts are ones with way too many public employees and enormous, politically awarded, pension plans. I have MANY members of my family as IL teachers both current and retired.

The state of IL can't print money, but it can suck back as much money as possible from the cities, municipalities and of course...not pay their bills.
Article from the Chgo Trib today:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...5qa-story.html

Quote:
Stagnant and depreciating home values throughout Illinois have become an offshoot of what we’ve been calling the “Illinois Exodus.” Last year’s estimated net reduction of residents hit 45,116, the worst of five straight years of population decline.
U.S. census data this spring showed the Chicago metro area lost 22,000 more residents from 2017 to 2018 — a fourth straight year of losses.
Quote:
The downward spiral is part of a population slide from high-tax states to lower-tax states, creating less demand for housing stock here. And the statewide pension crisis that is driving up local property taxes creates a double whammy for residents trying to sell their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2019, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Michigan, Maryland-born
130 posts, read 32,384 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Notice how most of the states (except for Kentucky) with the largest taxpayer burden are terrible blue states.



And notice how the states (except for Oregon) with the lowest taxpayer burden are red states.
Let's come up with solutions rather than pointing fingers. Both parties cause financial problems, at least at the national level.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Don't forget the expanded gambling too!

Most of the states with the huge debts are ones with way too many public employees and enormous, politically awarded, pension plans. I have MANY members of my family as IL teachers both current and retired.

The state of IL can't print money, but it can suck back as much money as possible from the cities, municipalities and of course...not pay their bills.
The expanded casinos may cause extra problems and extra spending for those states.

I've heard that once a casino goes up the local area has to pay to improve roads, needs extra police, drunk driving incidents increase, social damage from gambling addiction, etc...lead to not really much of a financial gain.


Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Speaking for my state, it’s all about unfounded pension obligations which goes back nearly 70 years. . Illinois is one of 7 states with Constitutions that guarantee accrued public benefits cannot be reduced.

Unlike the Federal Government, a state can’t print money.

Unlike a municipal government, a state cannot file for bankruptcy protection.

The current governor seems to be banking on the legalization of marijuana to save the state. Unless and until surrounding states , Ky, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa and Missouri ( separated by the Mississippi River) make weed legal, there will be interstate trafficking. Some of these states continue to oppose medical marijuana.
I don't think legalizing weed will help that much with the huge hole Illinois is currently in.

Some politicians have mentioned a national bailout, but I don't think that would go over well in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2019, 07:17 PM
 
4,461 posts, read 1,799,497 times
Reputation: 8824
since states have bailed out bankrupt cities
(by increasing taxes for the entire state),
i guess that DC can bail out states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top