Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 03:52 AM

37,939 posts, read 17,769,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
As a 27 year old millennial sometimes I think I've been misplaced. Big part of me wishes we can go back to the relative way things were at least couple decades ago in America and the west. I don't want this world to end in tyranny. Why can't we get spared? In history that has always happened, but it looks like we will never recover and sink into the abyss. Why can't I have been born when my parents or grandparents were born?
Back when all the bad stuff was covered up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 05:53 AM

19,586 posts, read 9,124,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You would be in a position where you had no computer to play on, no cable TV, let alone sat. One car per family if you were lucky. Small houses. Kids having to work as teens to buy their own school clothes or cars (of course kids didn't have phones in those days). As a teen-you'd be riding a bike everywhere you wanted to go, not being given rides-or driving yourselves. And you wouldn't have the record low unemployment and job opportunities we have today. The 70s and 80s were rough for everyone-home ownership was a stretch due to 15-20% interest rates. Unemployment in and immediately after the Carter era was horrible-considerably higher than at the peek of the Obama recession.

Oh, if you were born in the time of your grandparents-you likely would have been drafted to serve in the military and sent to VN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Re: the bolded part above - there was nothing wrong with any of that.
Although everything that Toyman wrote IS true, I completely agree with Zoisite. Every era in the past had its bad and good parts, I think, but I also think that the current time is the worst I have experienced in my lifetime, and I think that is equally due to Trump and to the Progressives/SJWs.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:32 AM

27,360 posts, read 28,432,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You would be in a position where you had no computer to play on, no cable TV, let alone sat. One car per family if you were lucky. Small houses. Kids having to work as teens to buy their own school clothes or cars (of course kids didn't have phones in those days). As a teen-you'd be riding a bike everywhere you wanted to go, not being given rides-or driving yourselves. And you wouldn't have the record low unemployment and job opportunities we have today. The 70s and 80s were rough for everyone-home ownership was a stretch due to 15-20% interest rates. Unemployment in and immediately after the Carter era was horrible-considerably higher than at the peek of the Obama recession.

Oh, if you were born in the time of your grandparents-you likely would have been drafted to serve in the military and sent to VN.
Sometimes, we all need to be reminded of the saying -

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:47 AM

34,154 posts, read 18,431,661 times
Smart phones.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:47 AM

5,932 posts, read 2,188,194 times
Quote:
As a 27 year old millennial sometimes I think I've been misplaced. Big part of me wishes we can go back to the relative way things were at least couple decades ago in America and the west. I don't want this world to end in tyranny. Why can't we get spared? In history that has always happened, but it looks like we will never recover and sink into the abyss. Why can't I have been born when my parents or grandparents were born?
You haven't been misplaced, your just looking in the rear view mirror and getting a partial look of life in the 70's, 80's, 90's. Don't let all these old geezers fool you into thinking America was this Amazingly different place. I cannot think of a single thing that was better outside of a slower pace of life that made it seem things were calmer.

We had all the same issues, it was just easier to hide them so the public did not hear about them. The only reason things seem worse now is the speed that we find things out. And how much easier it is to disseminate information or misinformation. Crooks are still crooks, and race relations are actually better today then in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and quality of life is way up.

Trust me it would feel like going into the stone ages if you were to visit the 1980's now.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 09-30-2019 at 06:56 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 07:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,882,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Demographics. Without any vote or referendum this country was forced to change in a way normally only seen during invasions. In 1960 we were 90% white with a our own national culture. Now we are a mishmash of incompatable ethnicities and religions. We are no longer a nation. We are a free trade zone unified solely on consumerism.
Brilliant observation.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:19 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,882,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm not sure about all such data....remember, the same people (shrinks, etc.) said gay was a disease and 100's of other things NOT a disease, etc. etc.....same with regular medicine. An addict is now a disease as is a fat person.

Anecdotal evidence (my relations, looking around, etc.) does not support the idea that Females, in total, are worse off or unhappier today then in 1965, 1975, etc.

Dig a little into "straight" culture in the burbs we lived in and I remember just among some friends...
1. Wow, one mom was divorced...in fact two. One was rumored to be a prostitute (likely not true).
2. Another friends mom disappeared one day - to the looney bin.
3. Another relations family only found out later that Dad had a separate family in addition to them "on the side".

Couple the usual problems with the fact that many women were not yet fully integrated into the workforce...so someone unlucky enough to be homely or diseased or otherwise might have the choice of....just about nothing! Maybe being a schoolteacher or living with a sister or two.

I don't buy it. More people are unhappy because we have more people. Also, mass consumerism (which was started to make us GREAT) is responsible for much of the current malice. The "high" from having a house, car and dishwasher wears off....

Don't worry. People are working on the state of the world and the country and it's mostly good.
Many studies have been done that have proved level of happiness for women today is a at a low compared with previous decades.

Women had access to many, many types of jobs. Many in fact ran their own businesses, especially out in the western USA. The fact that all women did was teach is a total lie, although it really helps sell a certain viewpoint, which is why kids and adults are still brainwashed into believing it. Look into it.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:30 AM

17,664 posts, read 13,516,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Re: the bolded part above - there was nothing wrong with any of that.
It's not like we were missing any of that though. Nobody was pining away because they hadn't invented cable or satellite TV or computers or anything like that.

Heck, the people that were doing the Sci Fi stuff for thousands of years in the future hadn't even dreamed up with something as sophisticated as a smart phone.

We do have talking computers now and that's cool, but everybody in the 1970s thought we'd all have a flying car by now.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:47 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,168,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I take you're white, male, heterosexual, middle-class, pretty vanilla, etc.? Otherwise things in "the good old days" wouldn't be so nice for you.
This is the world many here want to go back to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szDzgWT8Nq8

Old 09-30-2019, 08:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,539,278 times
Quote:
You want to go back to 1999?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies