Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 11:14 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,390,743 times

Advertisements

I am a moderate Democrat and I don't support what the NYC Commission on Human Right's has done. The Commission's interpretation is so broad that it is likely to get challenged in the courts (rightfully so).

No matter how well intended...speech codes are just bad for a free society.

But it should also be clear that the Commission is only applying this to certain situations like workplace harassment, tenants rights and pubic accommodations. Just referring to someone as such on the street will NOT get you fined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 11:27 PM

518 posts, read 448,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
On the other hand, we have Donald trying to declare a war on independent journalism and threatening anyone who criticizes him with death for treason...
Absolute utter bull####. Are liberals like yourself even capable of intellectual honesty?

Trump, btw, isn't declaring any type of "war" on independent journalism. He is in no way trying to silence anyone in the media. He realizes the media has every right to be the lying dishonest hacks they are while at the same time he has every right to fight back and call out the shameless and destructive dishonesty the lying hacks in the mainstream media are pedaling.

Absolutely insane how the Trump hating media has so badly brainwashed and deceived Trump haters into believing that any criticism or calling out of the media by Trump by itself is somehow an impeachable offense. These people have no freaking clue just how much evidence there is of a carefully coordinated effort by the intelligence community and the mainstream media to take out a duly elected president. Shameful yet Trump haters still have the gall to lecture Trump supporters about how shameful it is that they still support the President.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:37 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
Absolute utter bull####. Are liberals like yourself even capable of intellectual honesty?

Trump, btw, isn't declaring any type of "war" on independent journalism. He is in no way trying to silence anyone in the media. He realizes the media has every right to be the lying dishonest hacks they are while at the same time he has every right to fight back and call out the shameless and destructive dishonesty the lying hacks in the mainstream media are pedaling.
You want honesty? The first step is understanding your post is B.S.

In a Monday tweet bashing CNN, Trump said "something has to be done, including the possibility of the United States starting our own Worldwide Network to show the World the way we really are, GREAT!"

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ce/2128788002/

Old 10-02-2019, 12:18 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
So Trumpers are behaving so badly that there has to be rules and fines imposed. So this cramps your style or impairs your supposed right to be abusive to people who you, in your infinite wisdom, deem to be actual illegal aliens, whether they are or not. If that's how you spend your day, get a life...or simply don't go to NYC. This has nothing to do with "Liberals" and it isn't a free speech issue. Once again you have missed the mark. You are not the victim no matter how hard you try to adopt that role. This is just another Fox-induced distraction trying to enrage people who can't think for themselves. Trying to tie this to some unrelated comment by Rep. Ilham Omar (from June) is just a flagrant (and unethical) journalistic ploy to incite more right-wing indignation.

Another point, as long as we are on the topic of freedom of speech, is a person's right to speak any language they want. What makes people think that they have the right to discriminate, withhold services, or verbally abuse people who do not, or can not, speak English and that any prohibition of their abusive behavior infringes on their freedom of speech? It is nobody's business if I choose to converse in Latin, German, Swahili, Spanish, English, Tewa, or American Sign Language.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:04 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,063,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
On the other hand, we have Donald trying to declare a war on independent journalism and threatening anyone who criticizes him with death for treason...

Death? Treason? Please post a link I'm curious now.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:35 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I am a moderate Democrat and I don't support what the NYC Commission on Human Right's has done. The Commission's interpretation is so broad that it is likely to get challenged in the courts (rightfully so).

No matter how well intended...speech codes are just bad for a free society.

Part 1. But it should also be clear that the Commission is only applying this to certain situations like workplace harassment, tenants rights and pubic accommodations. Part 2. Just referring to someone as such on the street will NOT get you fined.
If only 1st Part were the case, it would at least be logical. I mean we can't call Kavanaugh a rapist for something he didn't do, we shouldn't say everybody who speaks Spanish is illegal. It's at least a 2-way street...

However, I don't trust Democrats because, we all know they want that 2nd Part. Therefore knowing full well what their end goals really are (like Beta Rourke with his "Yes I'll take away AR15s), I will oppose any action by any Democrat that even slightly opposes the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies