Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 11:12 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I refuse to golf or play tennis with anyone who thinks a serial adulterer, liar, thief, childish name-caller should be sitting in the White House, bringing our country down.
Which president are you talking about? Hard to tell by your description, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 11:21 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I live in a red state and hear conservatives talk politics (and tried to turn me into a full-blown conservative). One woman recommended I watch FOX News. If you think this is just liberals, you need to take a trip to GA or AL.
Maybe you didn't read the thread. The agreement was not to talk politics. People do that sometimes so they can have a nice time, and retain their friends and family without issue. Otherwise anyone can say anything they want.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Get better friends, then.

Not much you can do about relatives.
Ridiculous. I don't dump long time friends or family over politics. Just wish they could chill and be able to talk without injecting it. It seems strange they just can't do it, as if it is embedded in every facet of their lives and that can only be from some level of brainwashing. So I feel bad for them. I feel bad for that Swedish Greta girl, I doubt she can talk about anything without politics coloring it in some way.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:48 AM

934 posts, read 402,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Ridiculous. I don't dump long time friends or family over politics. Just wish they could chill and be able to talk without injecting it. It seems strange they just can't do it, as if it is embedded in every facet of their lives and that can only be from some level of brainwashing. So I feel bad for them. I feel bad for that Swedish Greta girl, I doubt she can talk about anything without politics coloring it in some way.
It is admirable - I mean it - not letting politics and politicians interfere with your own people, whether you chose them or not. It is harder when you got them with your family tree. Sometimes you just shrug to whatever the crazy uncle says and life goes on. Sometimes, however, you are a captive audience of a crazed father or mother. Now, that is a challenge right there.

But you will have to have a lot of patience. Because, most probably, they won't chill and the way things look now, it is only going to get worse. While you are diligently forgoing all the words you have on the subject, in an effort to keep the peace, friendships are going to collapse around you. Other families may split up. Maybe there will come a moment when you yourself have to say goodbye to someone for the sake of your own peace of mind. But your general intention is good. Why let people for whom neither you nor your loved ones even exist stand between you and them.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:31 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
It doesn't help when TV, movies, and the news, as well as social media, inject politics into as much things as they can. Viewers are influenced by that at times and maybe inspired to inject politics into the most unnecessary situations at the most unnecessary of times.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:37 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Why does the left HAVE to insert politics or social issues into everything? A conversation about something benign and they have to inject little political jabs.

Among a small group of friends we have a rule, no political discussions. So it is pleasant, then they start throwing little bits of political bait around, and I wonder why they can't help themselves. I don't know if it is TDS because it isn't about Trump, just little hint words to remind everyone they are woke. It does ruin things because even though there isn't a big angry argument, this seems passive aggressive and is a way to skirt the no politics rule.

I suspect their self worth is wrapped up in their political beliefs which are simply regurgitated from the media, and social media. These were pretty apolitical people in the past. Now they can't shut it off for even an hour or two. I have heard of this happening at workplaces also where there are rules about talking politics. Is it worth getting written up?

It is sad that people cut contact over politics but it is rude to force it on people. Actually it is weird. Why let outside forces control you to the extent you can't have a normal face to face conversation. It isn't healthy.

That is funny. I find it is the Trump supporters who insert politics, and making their remarks as if everybody agrees with them, and not only that, they get very belligerent and all red in the face. Maybe they are channeling Trump and dont even know it.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
It doesn't help when TV, movies, and the news, as well as social media, inject politics into as much things as they can. Viewers are influenced by that at times and maybe inspired to inject politics into the most unnecessary situations at the most unnecessary of times.
Yeah like that knitting group that banned Trump supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies