Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
VTSMX is up 1.22% in 1-year. VTSMX is very similar to S&P 500
Um, "very similar" except for the fact that VTSMX has almost 3600 stocks, where as the S&P has 505, quite different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 01:09 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Did you actually read the article? The stock markets isnt tanking as you also stated (its down 195 point which is a normal trading day). Ex-US the world is in a recession and parts of it are experiencing negative interest rates which is the culprit for lower demand. The US economy is experiencing the best economy in modern history, thanks to Trump. If we had a Hillary in power we would be in decline right now.

During the election, the Right-wing keeps saying Clinton is for Wall Street. But now, she is suddenly bad for Wall Street.

Right-wingers, how about make up your mind which lie to go with and stick with it?

Old 10-03-2019, 01:39 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you are cheering evil. You are happy for failure. you are orgasmic over the collapse of the economy.

we can actually have an intelligent conversation about the health of the economy. (I don't think things are super wonderful by the way). but that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about cheeing the collapse of the economy. that is a sickness. that is your side.

During the Bush years, I said to the right-wingers, "Look, instead of calling me all sorts of names and accusing me of not loving this country; all it takes to prove me wrong is for your wars to stabilize the Middle East, your tax cut to create jobs, and your voodoo mortgages to help the economy!" Of course, they continue to attack me for calling a spade a spade; the worse things got on the ground, the more attacks I got. They were basically accusing me and my fellow liberals of wanting this country to fail, whatever that means.

A similar thing happened with my team's fans - when my team drafted this overrated college power forward with a high lottery pick, I basically said he would be lucky to be a backup. All the zombie fraction of the fanbase called me all sorts of names. I told them the same thing: "Look, all it takes is for this player to play well and I'll admit I'm wrong." Guess what, he was a disappointment and was traded away in his rookie year. So now, instead of owning up to their baseless optimism, they attacked me - much the same way you are attacking other posters - I was accused of cheering for failure, rooting for the player to disappoint, etc. As if I somehow had the power to make him play poorly. As if I wanted him to fail.

All I did, and all other astute posters did, is to point out the obvious - if Trump do this then this will happen. No one is happily cheering for failure. That's just a childish accusation. It shows the person does not want to have an adult conversation and say, "Yup, you're right." I think it's shame and an inability to own up to mistakes that is the cause of said behavior.

And no, I don't think "an intelligent conversation about the health of the economy" is in any way, shape, or form possible with the kind of posts you make.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Market’s down another 500 points today

Manufacturing is in a recession

Weak job numbers

So, how’s Trump’s Trade War workin out for us?

I'll give you one small example of how his tariffs have hurt AMERICAN CONSUMERS. Yesterday at work a customer called and asked about one item we sell. It was $1899.00 in our computer, but none were available, so I called the manufacturer to see when I could get one for him.

The price is now $2299.00, and when I asked if it was a new model or why the price was increased so much, they said "Because of the tariffs, our cost has gone up that much, and we are passing it along !"

So there goes Trump's theory that these increases will be absorbed by the manufacturer or distributor, they are passed along to YOU AND ME. Thanks a lot , Trump !

Old 10-03-2019, 06:14 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
I just saw the first honest headline of the year "Stock Market hasn't gone anywhere for almost two years"....that sure is a change from "record highs" and all the other usual BS (which means nothing...a "record high" might be 3% a year)....

MAGA. Good Reporting.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:11 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
So the Manufacturing index is now showing manufacturing in recession, and the non-Manufacturing (ie Services) index (released today) is just a bit above recession. Still growing mind you, but most definitely slowing downnnnnnnn. Unless something changes, it's a pretty good bet, the Trump recession is on the way,

"Services reading shows economy is weaker than expected amid slowdown fears

The services sector continued its expansion in September but at a considerably slower pace than expected, according to the ISM Non-Manufacturing Index released Thursday.

The closely watch measure came in at 52.6, compared to an expected reading of 55.3 from economists surveyed by Dow Jones. It was the weakest reading since August 2016.

Markets sold off sharply following the news, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average down more than 200 points after being only slightly lower earlier on...."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/03/sept...oint3-est.html

And of course, as a result the market continues to fall. Down over 1,000 points over the last 3 days.

MAGA?

Ken

Old 10-03-2019, 08:15 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
...one small example of how his tariffs have hurt AMERICAN CONSUMERS. Yesterday at work a customer called and asked about one item we sell. It was $1899.00 in our computer, but none were available, so I called the manufacturer to see when I could get one for him.

The price is now $2299.00, and when I asked if it was a new model or why the price was increased so much, they said "Because of the tariffs, our cost has gone up that much, and we are passing it along !"

So there goes Trump's theory that these increases will be absorbed by the manufacturer or distributor, they are passed along to YOU AND ME. Thanks a lot , Trump !

21% Price Increase due to the Tariff War. I bet the customer decided not the purchase the item due to the price increase.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 AM

1,070 posts, read 392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Um, "very similar" except for the fact that VTSMX has almost 3600 stocks, where as the S&P has 505, quite different.
C’mon t206, the performance of S&P and VTSMX is virtually identical over every time period - look it up. That’s my point.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:33 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
C’mon t206, the performance of S&P and VTSMX is virtually identical over every time period - look it up. That’s my point.
I wasn't discussing performance. Just pointing out the difference between the make up of the indexs and ETFs in response to the original comment about the DJIA being "the market"

Old 10-03-2019, 10:36 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
During the election, the Right-wing keeps saying Clinton is for Wall Street. But now, she is suddenly bad for Wall Street.

Right-wingers, how about make up your mind which lie to go with and stick with it?

In case you haven't noticed, Trump and his supporters can change a lie 180 degrees overnight, depending on the circumstances.
With the Ukraine issue, the lies will change every 12 hours to cause total confusion and bury the truth.
Same with the markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies