Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 10:23 PM

10,698 posts, read 5,648,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So the dude working hard and honestly on a Farm in Mexico or even in the Toyota plant there - day in and day out - and yet still living in a shack even though he is producing vast amounts more than his own consumptions......he is somehow deficient and if he would declare being a member of the GOP he would somehow get rich?

It's a zero sum game my friend.....in a general sense. That is, when you "make money" in the stock market someone else loses it (all things being equal and a stock market like the last two years)....

If I pay the people "producing more than they consume" lower wages and benefits.....I make MORE money and they make less.

That doesn't seem to match your claims.

Which is why......the many millionaires I know generally drive a Lexus. Or maybe an Audi or a Benz, but more likely these days a Lexus. Granted, these are not "unit" millionaire (100 million plus), just plain old normal millionaires.

Tell you what. Head down to Pacific Palisades in SoCal or to Bal Harbor in N. Miami Beach and go to the mall there and tell me what cars you see??? I can tell you right now that you will see Maseraties, Jags, Bentleys and Ferraris and even McClarrans (sp?).

Here is the local dealership in Sarasota where everyone walks in and gawks. Who is buying these?
https://thesarasotastudio.com
If I buy XYZ stock at $100 and sell it at $200, I make $100/per share. Who is losing that $100/share? You know, because it’s a zero sum game. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 10:29 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If I buy XYZ stock at $100 and sell it at $200, I make $100/per share. Who is losing that $100/share? You know, because it’s a zero sum game. . .
The person who sold the stock at $100

The issue with our society is that you are compelled to play the stock market otherwise your money is inflated away and you have to work until you die.

Maybe people don't have the risk tolerance, interest or skill to play the stock market or other markets and thus end up loosing. They are compelled to play because of the way our society is structured.

Even if you live at home, out of your car or in a tiny home you have to play the game to avoid dawning the paper hat. No self-respecting American wants to dawn the paper hat for longer than a VERY VERY short time and thus you are compelled to play the game.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:12 PM

18,800 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
IF they bought it at $200.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:41 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
How the economy works can be summarized like this:

If you produce more than you consume, you can gain wealth, and you gain exponentially more if you invest your surplus production. If you consume as much or more than you produce, you don't gain wealth.

A direct consequence of this fact is the fact that welfare payments are money down the drain. If you redistribute money from a producer to a consumer, it leads to less production and more consumption. Any of society's "consumers" could already become producers if they simply consumed less (And this would grow the economy overall because surplus production would be invested into creating more production).

Case in point: The most popular automobile brands for millionaires are Honda, Toyota and Ford.
So this is your grand economic theory? Your reason for being Republican?
I'm going to copy your minimalist style for my critique of your philosophical position and simply say it's somewhat oversimplified as a philosophy of wealth and economics.

When composing a written text, it is important to think about your purpose and your audience. What are you trying to say and who are you trying to say it to? I can't answer either of those questions reading your post.

The brightest minds of history have filled libraries discussing the topics you dispatch with a word here, a phrase there. Do you think you can explain economics in two fragmented paragraphs? I guess you did pick your audience well. They've spent pages replying.

In the end, you don't do the one thing you say you are going to do in the title of your thread: explain why your theory of wealth makes you a Republican. Because income redistribution is bad? Is that it? Damn. That does make you a pretty solid Republican.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:38 AM

10,698 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

The issue with our society is that you are compelled to play the stock market otherwise your money is inflated away and you have to work until you die.

Maybe people don't have the risk tolerance, interest or skill to play the stock market or other markets and thus end up loosing. They are compelled to play because of the way our society is structured.

Even if you live at home, out of your car or in a tiny home you have to play the game to avoid dawning the paper hat. No self-respecting American wants to dawn the paper hat for longer than a VERY VERY short time and thus you are compelled to play the game.
Nonsense. Nothing of the sort happened.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:40 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,585 times
I believe in a society where you can still create wealth without stomping all over the poor working class in the process.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:47 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,956,531 times
Quote:
How the economy works can be summarized like this:

If you produce more than you consume, you can gain wealth, and you gain exponentially more if you invest your surplus production. If you consume as much or more than you produce, you don't gain wealth.

A direct consequence of this fact is the fact that welfare payments are money down the drain. If you redistribute money from a producer to a consumer, it leads to less production and more consumption. Any of society's "consumers" could already become producers if they simply consumed less (And this would grow the economy overall because surplus production would be invested into creating more production).

Case in point: The most popular automobile brands for millionaires are Honda, Toyota and Ford.
The old saying applies here.
No one ever got wealthy working for other people.
Other people get wealthy by you working for them.

That is how the economy works.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:30 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
I believe in a society where you can still create wealth without stomping all over the poor working class in the process.
Heretic!

Old 10-05-2019, 06:32 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This is the saddest outlook on life I've ever come across.

Well, at least since the last thread I've read in here.
BTW why would you say this. I have seen the under belly of the economy and its ugly and the republicans prop it up.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:39 PM

34,987 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Understanding How Wealth is Created: Why I am a Republican - How the economy works can be summarized like this:

I am a very liberal Democrat because I believe we must help those that can't (as opposed to won't) help themselves. One of the consequences of accepting society's help should be a restraint on unlimited reproduction. There is a welfare motel outside the parking lot servicing my office. I can't tell you how many children these welfare mothers are struggling with at one time. And by the way where is Daddy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies