Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:43 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,783,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
End welfare. I am tired them spending my money for their stuff.
But than the economy will be in worst shape. I thought that the economy being healthy was good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 09:01 PM

2,068 posts, read 997,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Yes, of course if you took *all* the producer's money they would have no more money in which to produce things. However, in this case, since the *consumer* would suddenly have lots of money, they might turn themselves into the "producer."
This statement made me laugh out loud. What "consumer", who gets all of their money for doing nothing (welfare) is going to suddenly turn into a "producer"? Producing what? They have no idea how to produce anything, obviously; otherwise, they wouldn't have been on welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Which makes me think that liberal societies will eventually turn into largely self-reliant ones.

Right. Just look at Cuba. The Soviet Union. Venezuela. Great examples of self-reliance, all.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
This statement made me laugh out loud. What "consumer", who gets all of their money for doing nothing (welfare) is going to suddenly turn into a "producer"? Producing what? They have no idea how to produce anything, obviously; otherwise, they wouldn't have been on welfare.
So Speaker Ryan and his family and the vast majority of the citizens of this country who received welfare after the Great Depression and/or during or after the Great Recession are all non-producers?

Fantastic!

Old 10-01-2019, 09:06 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
I was speaking in more general terms. I was not thinking of "welfare" per se, just the general concept of redistributing money from "producers" to "consumers."

Don't forget that a lot of "consumers" are also part of the production side of the ledger. There are people working in factories who also receive government assistance. So your simplistic picture you had in mind isn't so simple.

You need to get your head out of simple pictures like some welfare queen sitting on the steps doing nothing, and broaden your idea of wealth redistribution. Not all wealth redistribution is giving money to welfare queens.

Quote:
Right. Just look at Cuba. The Soviet Union. Venezuela. Great examples of self-reliance, all.
Europe is also a liberal society.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:13 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Need I mention Theramos? Mattis sat on the board and pushed the DOD to consider use of their products.
"James Mattis is linked to Theranos's massive corporate fraud ..."

They created BILLIONS of dollars out of nothing.....with nothing. They never had a machine and they never had a process, invention or anything of value.

I personally saw one company in tech with NOTHING go from zero (what they were actually worth) to 350 Million dollars...then to zero or negative once people realized what I already knew (I tried to tell people but they laughed at me).

A total bunch of BS. We are the children of the UK. The UK and the USA were created by the giving away of VAST tracts of land to white people who just happened to be here and/or in the good graces of the King. That is the "property" that we speak of when we talk property rights.

My fair birth state was founded by William Penn...or so they say:
"to Penn's surprise, the King granted an extraordinarily generous charter which made Penn the world's largest private (non-royal) landowner, with over 45,000 square miles"

45,000 Square Miles. Those are the "property rights" the libertarians so base their world views on. Can everyone get 45,000 square miles so we can start out on the same page?
i have mixed feelings about your comment

yes, it's true, not everyone had the opportunity to acquire land in colonial america, whether bc of spatial circumstances or bc of race

on the other hand, property rights themselves are an important concept in terms of basic political rights, which is a lesson that could be taken by some of america's major trading partners.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:22 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
Quote:
So the dude working hard and honestly on a Farm in Mexico or even in the Toyota plant there - day in and day out - and yet still living in a shack even though he is producing vast amounts more than his own consumptions......he is somehow deficient and if he would declare being a member of the GOP he would somehow get rich?

It's a zero sum game my friend.....in a general sense. That is, when you "make money" in the stock market someone else loses it (all things being equal and a stock market like the last two years)....

If I pay the people "producing more than they consume" lower wages and benefits.....I make MORE money and they make less.

That doesn't seem to match your claims.

Which is why......the many millionaires I know generally drive a Lexus. Or maybe an Audi or a Benz, but more likely these days a Lexus. Granted, these are not "unit" millionaire (100 million plus), just plain old normal millionaires.

Tell you what. Head down to Pacific Palisades in SoCal or to Bal Harbor in N. Miami Beach and go to the mall there and tell me what cars you see??? I can tell you right now that you will see Maseraties, Jags, Bentleys and Ferraris and even McClarrans (sp?).

Here is the local dealership in Sarasota where everyone walks in and gawks. Who is buying these?
https://thesarasotastudio.com
On the cars, I agree. A million dollars is not what it used to be. There are many people worth over a million dollars that are still responsibly saving for their retirement. So they live in modest homes and drive modest cars. And this skews the numbers on the “most popular cars” that millionaires drive.

But if you drive around The Hamptons, like Bal Harbor, you are going to see plenty of Ferrari’s, Bentleys, etc. And those people likely drove sensible cars for a long time longer than they actually “needed” to. But many people come to a certain point in life where they realize that you can’t take it with you and they decide to splurge a little. They are at a point where even a depreciating asset, like a fancy car, is not going to effect their bottom line at all.

A very wealthy neighbor of mine at the beach, used to drive his Ferrari out to the beach, and park it in the garage, where it stayed the entire weekend while he drove around in his beat up, old Subaru that he left at his beach house all year round. I asked him about it once, and he said “I don't need to impress anybody. I’m just more comfortable driving around in the Subaru.” So I asked him why he owns the Ferrari? He looked at me like it was the dumbest question he ever heard, and he said, “To pick up chicks.”

Old 10-01-2019, 09:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
How the economy works can be summarized like this:

If you produce more than you consume, you can gain wealth, and you gain exponentially more if you invest your surplus production. If you consume as much or more than you produce, you don't gain wealth.

A direct consequence of this fact is the fact that welfare payments are money down the drain. If you redistribute money from a producer to a consumer, it leads to less production and more consumption. Any of society's "consumers" could already become producers if they simply consumed less (And this would grow the economy overall because surplus production would be invested into creating more production).

Case in point: The most popular automobile brands for millionaires are Honda, Toyota and Ford.
What does this have to do with Republicans? I don't know of any Republican legislators who advocate abolishing government redistribution of wealth. Some at best advocate cutting it. We're always going to have producers vs moochers in society. Getting back at moochers by throwing them in prison wouldn't work. They would still be moochers.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
End welfare. I am tired them spending my money for their stuff.
Yeah, no more welfare Cadillacs!

Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
Quote:
If Millionaires drive Fords, then working class fools must drive these:
https://thesarasotastudio.com/2020-bentley-flying-spur/
If I had $225,0000, I would so get that beautiful but gas-guzzling car! I am more luxury and high performance, not really fuel efficiency!

Old 10-02-2019, 01:15 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post

Case in point: The most popular automobile brands for millionaires are Honda, Toyota and Ford.
That isnt even close to true.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/10-...neighborhoods/

Ford doesnt make the top 10.

the Prius is actually the most expensive compact car you can buy that isnt a luxury model, the Toyota vehicles also are on the more expensive ends, they get to claim they are "affordable" by virtue of not offering 40 different packages for each car, but I can find a base model 2019 impala for almost 6,000 dollars cheaper than the cheapest model 2019 Camry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies