Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,204,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
A better question is why don't we expect men to be more actively engaged in the domestic world? Women have taken on paid employment but given up very little of the domestic work that has always been expected of them. Men have done little to step up to the plate but gladly accept the added household income.
The things is, that only perpetuates when the woman tries to do it all and allows the other member(s) of the household to do very little.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,441,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Why don't you ask those people then?

Strangers on the internet have no idea why people you know make rude comments about your wife.
Agree. When I had young children - I had many SAHM friends and many Working Mom friends. I detest the 'Mommy Wars'.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
A homemaker who marries a wealthy man is most definitely a financially lucrative situation. It will allow the woman to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle while also ensuring resources and financial stability for her offspring.

And what could be more highly respected than raising healthy, intelligent, law-abiding children?
There is nothing more important than that -- working in an office cubicle for some B.S. corporation is not worthy of congratulations from anyone, in fact most people don't really give a flying hoot about a person's work achievements unless they were a scientist who helped cure a deadly disease.

Women who choose to stay single and devote their life to the office cubicle will usually end up alone with 8 or 9 cats and alcoholism. Definitely not a pretty end!

Also, competitiveness is seen as a strength among men, but not really among women. No one watches women's sports for instance. Biologically speaking, women aren't made to compete with each other or with men, except when it comes to competing for the affections of a high quality man to mate with.
“Women who choose to stay single and devote their lives to the office cubicle will usually end up alone with 8-9 cats and alcoholism”?

Hyperbole much? ^ Says more about you than your target.

How do males who choose to stay single and devote their lives to the office cubicle, end up?

Old 10-03-2019, 07:41 AM

19,469 posts, read 12,103,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
There is nothing wrong with being a stay at home mom my mom was one. Where I have a problem is if the kids are all in school and the mom is not doing anything not working or volunteering that is just being lazy. If a man tried to do that he would be torn apart.
So they have to be working in some capacity outside the home when kids are in school or are lazy. But you don't know what they are doing in the home so how can you form a judgement? Maybe you would be lazy if you were a home maker but doesn't mean everyone is. Not sure what this has to do with men being home makers. The OP was about traditional housewives.

There is clearly resentment.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:45 AM

8,141 posts, read 6,879,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
This is a bit of an extreme example, and ironically really a commercial for her home business.
Woman Ditches Office Job To Pursue Dream Of Being A 1950s-Era Housewife

But my wife and I are pretty similar. She would work second shift, I worked a "9-5" and would rarely see each other. House was a mess, both stressed out, eating like crap, etc. She quit and took on a traditional homemaker role and we've been much happier ever since.

However, when people ask what she does and the answer comes up as homemaker, there's often a scoff or snide comment made in response. It was entirely her choice whether to work or not. I've never forced anything. We even had one particularly bad neighbor spreading rumors that I was very controlling/beat her/etc.

In this age of female empowerment, why do so many have a problem with someone actively choosing a traditional role and liking it? Is it just jealousy of not being able to do the same and get by on one income? Especially when there are no kids involved. Or is it more deep rooted that women should not be doing such things anymore, even by choice?
I think that's fantastic. More power to you guys. You're probably far happier than a good number of couples out there. You've found what works for you and your lives improved greatly. Sounds good to me.

Anyone who sees anything wrong with this is just closed-minded, or maybe a bit jealous. lol.

Of course, the government will frown upon this situation. Only one income to tax and all...

Old 10-03-2019, 07:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Actually--there is a stigma against stay-at-home-dads, too.
My husband was a stay at home dad before it became more common.

He also was a volunteer EMT/ paramedic with overnight shifts a few nights a week.

Some of the neighbors in our small sub division clucked about it. We laughed. Who cares?

Old 10-03-2019, 07:59 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,971,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I would guess if anyone does scoff at homemakers, it would be out of ignorance. Jealousy might be a factor, as well. Most people think it would be nice to "be able to stay at home." They are only thinking of the benefits and not the cons.

Right??

I've worked outside the home most of my adult life, and yes, the home suffers for it. Happily, my husband is mostly oblivious to the mess and/or doesn't complain.

I always think to myself "If I wasn't working, this closet would be cleaned, the basement would be organized, a load of laundry would get done every day, we'd eat something besides salad and chicken..." And on and on and on.

OP, if you're wife is happy with the new arrangement, and you're happy with the new arrangement, than you're both winners who've figured out the happiness quotient. Good for you.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:40 AM

3,008 posts, read 2,261,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So they have to be working in some capacity outside the home when kids are in school or are lazy. But you don't know what they are doing in the home so how can you form a judgement? Maybe you would be lazy if you were a home maker but doesn't mean everyone is. Not sure what this has to do with men being home makers. The OP was about traditional housewives.

There is clearly resentment.
How else would you put it they don’t work do not take care of kids tell me what exactly they are doing to not be lazy? If man tried this he would be called a lazy bum just look at on this site how many people get on poor people and the homeless for not working. How is the stay at home mom any different then them?

Old 10-03-2019, 09:17 AM

19,469 posts, read 12,103,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
How else would you put it they don’t work do not take care of kids tell me what exactly they are doing to not be lazy? If man tried this he would be called a lazy bum just look at on this site how many people get on poor people and the homeless for not working. How is the stay at home mom any different then them?
Have you ever tried to take care of a sizable home and all the domestic work, bills, errands, shopping, cook real meals, cleaning, pets, etc. properly by yourself? You assume that person doesn't do yard work or gardening too I suppose, or attend to older relatives or neighbors. Perhaps they are part of a daytime neighborhood watch. It is a huge load off the working spouse when all of this is taken care of and the family can enjoy nights and weekends without having to do chores.

The homeless might beg or busk and they do have to try to survive, find a place to sleep, and not get knifed or die of exposure.

Very few people live on easy street, and if they do, they are usually wealthy, and more power to them. I envy them but not jealous such that I would put them down.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:24 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,701,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Have you ever tried to take care of a sizable home and all the domestic work, bills, errands, shopping, cook real meals, cleaning, pets, etc. properly by yourself? You assume that person doesn't do yard work or gardening too I suppose, or attend to older relatives or neighbors. Perhaps they are part of a daytime neighborhood watch. It is a huge load off the working spouse when all of this is taken care of and the family can enjoy nights and weekends without having to do chores.

The homeless might beg or busk and they do have to try to survive, find a place to sleep, and not get knifed or die of exposure.

Very few people live on easy street, and if they do, they are usually wealthy, and more power to them. I envy them but not jealous such that I would put them down.
Yes, an at-home mom or dad does take a lot of the load off of the working spouse. They also often reduce the budget by cooking from scratch, not having to hire a housekeeper, can go to more than one grocery store for good deals, don't have to pay for daycare (if they have young children), etc. When my kids were young, we chose for me to stay home, but honestly, if I were to go to work and had to commute, use daycare, and so on, my salary would have barely covered all of the expenses.

When someone does this without a working spouse, though, they are denigrated as lazy. They're only noble when they have a spouse who goes to work and makes a good salary. I'm not talking about responsibility or financial savvy... I'm talking only about the actual work that is getting done by the person who does not have a full-time job and who stays home to take care of the house/pets/children. Stay home and care for children while on welfare (without a spouse or with a spouse who makes a low income), you're a lazy do-nothing bum. Stay home and care for children while being subsidized by your spouse, you're a noble homemaker who is working 24 hours per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies