U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:39 PM

3,449 posts, read 754,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To millions of shoppers, the supermarket is just a place to stock up on produce and pantry staples to keep the family fed. But to others, especially children of immigrants who may already feel pushed to the margins of the American mainstream, the supermarket can be just another place to experience the sting of their outsider status.

The sting occurs whenever they walk down the “ethnic” food aisle, the section of the supermarket that, to some, plays out like a remnant of the Jim Crow era, when laws established separate facilities for African Americans in the post-Reconstruction South. Sometimes known as the “international” food aisle, or even “Asian” and “Latino” aisles, these rows can come across to the shoppers they seemingly target as de facto segregation, another kind of “separate but equal” policy that marginalized African Americans for generations.

“If you go to the ethnic food aisle, that is sort of the last bastion of racism that you can see in full daylight in retail America,” David Chang, the man at the helm of the Momofuku empire, said on his podcast this summer. “It is something that’s got to go.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...sjU?li=BBnb7Kw

Troubling and problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:41 PM

701 posts, read 141,393 times
Ban grocery stores

Old Today, 07:45 PM

4,436 posts, read 1,781,638 times
just accept racism.
it is everywhere.
in everything.
deny it and you
are the bad guy.
all people.
everywhere.

Old Today, 07:57 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,244,676 times
I'm proud to be black - said the black.
I'm proud to be Asian - said the Asian.
I'm proud to be white - said the racist.

Old Today, 08:22 PM

17,759 posts, read 8,992,686 times
Stupid

Old Today, 08:30 PM

3,690 posts, read 1,462,238 times
Any immigrant who is offended by a grocery store's conscientious attempt to accommodate them can get the hell out of my country for all I care.

That said, I suspect for every one immigrant who is thus offended, there at least 1,000 patronizing woke-tards who are offended on their behalf.

Old Today, 08:30 PM

17,807 posts, read 19,300,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm proud to be black - said the black.
I'm proud to be Asian - said the Asian.
I'm proud to be white - said the racist.
No one cares if you want your own Wonder bread, mayonnaise and marshmallows aisle

Old Today, 08:34 PM

5,703 posts, read 8,528,400 times
I thought the original article was one of the stupidest things I've ever read. And then I kept reading ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
No one cares if you want your own Wonder bread, mayonnaise and marshmallows aisle

Old Today, 08:47 PM

3,825 posts, read 1,041,627 times
Damn, while he's at it, better break up the ethnic cities of Little China, Little Italy, Little Havana, Little Haiti, etc...... These cities are dominated by those races and cultures, with stores erected exclusively for them.

Old Today, 08:52 PM

3,690 posts, read 1,462,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I thought the original article was one of the stupidest things I've ever read. And then I kept reading ...
No, it gets worse -- especially when academics get their hands on these screwball notions about food intersectionality. Check out this video from 24:29 through 28:12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZZNvT1vaJg&t=24m29s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies