Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 03:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Do the mass shooter survivors deserve millions in settlement? Is it not excessive? So you were about to be killed or you are close to someone who was. That means you can become an instant millionaire.

How come soldiers, marines, sailors, cops, fire fighters dont get this?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas...151414010.html

The LV MGM victim families like 58 people settle for $735 million dollars. So now they are newly minted millionaires. I bet you Morgan Stanley/Raymond James etc etc financial advisors are going to be all over these people.

I can understand if you were imprisoned unjustly. You suffered for long time directly because of gubment. Its like being tortured.

But its not like MGM Grand caused the mass shooting to happen. Why they held accountable? I doubt the victims families have the financial might to fight MGM for years making any settlement worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 04:32 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Why is the MGM Grand responsible?

Old 10-03-2019, 04:35 PM

1,161 posts, read 435,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do the mass shooter survivors deserve millions in settlement? Is it not excessive? So you were about to be killed or you are close to someone who was. That means you can become an instant millionaire.

How come soldiers, marines, sailors, cops, fire fighters dont get this?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas...151414010.html

The LV MGM victim families like 58 people settle for $735 million dollars. So now they are newly minted millionaires. I bet you Morgan Stanley/Raymond James etc etc financial advisors are going to be all over these people.

I can understand if you were imprisoned unjustly. You suffered for long time directly because of gubment. Its like being tortured.

But its not like MGM Grand caused the mass shooting to happen. Why they held accountable? I doubt the victims families have the financial might to fight MGM for years making any settlement worthwhile.
I assume you know the answer to the obvious question "How come soldiers, marines, sailors, cops, fire fighters dont get this?" But just in case you don't, the answer is that they are not victims. They do a job that they are compensated for.

I agree. The company should not pay the victims. The country should. Until the United States has the courage to do something about these mass shootings, the blood is on OUR hands and the money should be taken from US.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why is the MGM Grand responsible?
They are paying it out according to the article.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
I assume you know the answer to the obvious question "How come soldiers, marines, sailors, cops, fire fighters dont get this?" But just in case you don't, the answer is that they are not victims. They do a job that they are compensated for.

I agree. The company should not pay the victims. The country should. Until the United States has the courage to do something about these mass shootings, the blood is on OUR hands and the money should be taken from US.
I think the soldiers, marines, sailors, and cops, and what not ought to hold out for better pay seeing as how they volunteer for stuff that will make some a newly minted millionaire by accident.

The US should not have to be squat. It is not the fault of US gubment to ensure mental health of its citizens. Each citizen has to be responsible for their own mental health.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I think the soldiers, marines, sailors, and cops, and what not ought to hold out for better pay seeing as how they volunteer for stuff that will make some a newly minted millionaire by accident.

The US should not have to be squat. It is not the fault of US gubment to ensure mental health of its citizens. Each citizen has to be responsible for their own mental health.
I don't disagree with you on the first part.

The second part is simple. As long as the United States continues to profit off of illness, murder and death they should at least have the balls to cut a check for the victims.
And since I'm sure that you understand how juvenile a thought process "Each citizen has to be responsible for their own mental health" is, I won't even dignify that with a rebuttal

Old 10-03-2019, 04:54 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:

And what would you suggest should be done, other than disarming the law-abiding?

Old 10-03-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And what would you suggest should be done, other than disarming the law-abiding?
Oh, I'm not the typical ignorant internet poster that thinks he has all of the answers. But something should be done.

I'd say one thing you want to start with is making mental health care and health care in general something that you don't have to worry about not being able to afford.
Look at many other developed countries with universal style health care, not a lot of mass shootings there.

There's definitely no logical reason for a human being to own a weapon that is capable of murdering 50 people in the matter of seconds. So those should definitely go. It's further proof of the cowardly American culture that many of us feel like we need that. Sadly, it's not surprising, coming from the same people who want to hide behind a border wall, but what can you do?

The way I see it, the entirety of American culture needs to have somewhat of a facelift. We live in a country where people throw around terms like "Civil War" when they don't like the thought of other people having different opinions than they do. We live in a country that values political parties, money, greed, power, war and violence over human beings. When people grow up in a culture like that, with easier access to weapons than health care, you can't be surprised when mass murders happen.

And, again, if the country isn't going to do anything to try to stop it, then they should pay when it happens. WHo knows? If mass shootings start costing American people money, maybe we'll actually start to see things change.

Now don't worry. This is never going to happen. There is far too much money in weapons, violence, illness and death. So....God Bless America?

Old 10-03-2019, 05:08 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Two questions...

1. Why is MGM paying?
2. Who exactly qualifies for this settlement money?

Old 10-03-2019, 05:12 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm not the typical ignorant internet poster that thinks he has all of the answers. But something should be done.

I'd say one thing you want to start with is making mental health care and health care in general something that you don't have to worry about not being able to afford.
Look at many other developed countries with universal style health care, not a lot of mass shootings there.

There's definitely no logical reason for a human being to own a weapon that is capable of murdering 50 people in the matter of seconds. So those should definitely go. It's further proof of the cowardly American culture that many of us feel like we need that. Sadly, it's not surprising, coming from the same people who want to hide behind a border wall, but what can you do?

The way I see it, the entirety of American culture needs to have somewhat of a facelift. We live in a country where people throw around terms like "Civil War" when they don't like the thought of other people having different opinions than they do. We live in a country that values political parties, money, greed, power, war and violence over human beings. When people grow up in a culture like that, with easier access to weapons than health care, you can't be surprised when mass murders happen.

And, again, if the country isn't going to do anything to try to stop it, then they should pay when it happens. WHo knows? If mass shootings start costing American people money, maybe we'll actually start to see things change.

Now don't worry. This is never going to happen. There is far too much money in weapons, violence, illness and death. So....God Bless America?
Another person blaming the instrument and barely blaming the perp. Isn't that lovely. Should people not be able to own large trucks? Here is a news flash, killing yourself is hardly cowardly. It probably is one of the hardest things for anyone to do. It's also mental illness. Wanting to prevent people coming here with that mental illness is hardly cowardly. Do we force all Americans to pay when illegals commit crime? Maybe we need to start some type of tariff or fine for every Country that sends illegals here that commit crimes.

Regardless, we are already over the saturation point with gun laws. Change the second or shut the front door* as it's just a bunch of hot air and sounds like "reparations". Blood money from those that didn't commit any crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies