Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 08:47 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What state is this cause I find it hard to believe.
Don't know where AnesthesiaMD is located, but my suburban district in the Houston area has a starting salary for a Bachelor's prepared teacher with zero years of experience of $55,750.

https://www.ccisd.net/common/pages/D...temId=46069200

I think that's a very solid starting salary for someone with that level of education, especially considering they're working 9 months a year. However, a couple of things I think about with regards to teacher salary are 1). the salary rates don't go up as significantly as experience increases as they do in other professions. For example, in my district, a teacher with 9 years of experience makes only about 5% more than a new grad. and 2). teacher salaries are often on the low end due to the value of the pension and/or benefits. It's essentially deferred compensation. What if you work for 25 years teaching at a comparatively low salary with the presumption that you will have a strong defined pension at retirement and that doesn't come to pass?

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 10-03-2019 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 08:51 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
Quote:
What state is this cause I find it hard to believe.
Did you read the article in the OP? It is right there.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
NJ, and that salary doesn't get you far.

NEA - 2017-2018 Average Starting Teacher Salaries by State
It depends where you live. Some parts of the state are a lot more expensive than other parts.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It depends where you live. Some parts of the state are a lot more expensive than other parts.
Right, and the salary will reflect that, so I'm sure the $51k is in an area with a higher cost of living. You likely aren't making that to start in Camden where you have to supply your own bulletproof vest.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 PM

30,127 posts, read 11,754,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It seems like every week there's yet another article lamenting the salaries of teachers.

I have a close relative who has been a teacher now for three years in Arizona. Yes the starting salary is not great but she gets a lot of time off and during that time the school district has paid her for extra for attending classes that helps her career and for instructing classes during the summer.

So the base salary applies only if you choose not to work during your long vacation time.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:57 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Don't know where AnesthesiaMD is located, but my suburban district in the Houston area has a starting salary for a Bachelor's prepared teacher with zero years of experience of $55,750.

https://www.ccisd.net/common/pages/D...temId=46069200
I'm shocked. In our state you not only have to have a bachelors but also have to be accepted in the college of education. And there are strict standards for admission. Many drop out of the program because it's so vigorous. They also have to do internships. My daughter went through this and she worked her butt off.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Right, and the salary will reflect that, so I'm sure the $51k is in an area with a higher cost of living. You likely aren't making that to start in Camden where you have to supply your own bulletproof vest.
You dont have to live in the town where you work. A lot of teachers drive 1/2 hour or more to get to work so they can live in more affordable towns.

But you would be surprised about the salaries in the inner city schools. We have a law in NJ that states that the 31 poorest districts have to spend at least as much per pupil as the 31 wealthiest districts. In order to do that, these districts are highly subsidized by the state income tax. It is not unusual for inner city schools here to pay the teachers very well. The lower paying districts are in the lower middle class/blue collar towns. The ones that aren’t wealthy, but aren’t poor enough to get the state subsidies.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:04 PM

17,331 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
I'm shocked. In our state you not only have to have a bachelors but also have to be accepted in the college of education. And there are strict standards for admission. Many drop out of the program because it's so vigorous. They also have to do internships. My daughter went through this and she worked her butt off.
I don't know any state that doesn't require student teaching. There might be a rando, but I doubt it.

Also, what is this "college of education" you speak of?''

(You probably mean rigorous not vigorous)

Old 10-03-2019, 09:06 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You dont have to live in the town where you work. A lot of teachers drive 1/2 hour or more to get to work so they can live in more affordable towns.

But you would be surprised about the salaries in the inner city schools. We have a law in NJ that states that the 31 poorest districts have to spend at least as much per pupil as the 31 wealthiest districts. In order to do that, these districts are highly subsidized by the state income tax. It is not unusual for inner city schools here to pay the teachers very well. The lower paying districts are in the lower middle class/blue collar towns. The ones that aren’t wealthy, but aren’t poor enough to get the state subsidies.
Just another example of government tinkering where it doesn't belong. People think that throwing money at teachers because it feels noble will somehow miraculously improve our educational system. The sad truth is that lots of people go into teaching so they can have summers off, retire "early" and get a pension.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:08 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
Too bad the administrators of local school districts hog all cash while they give the teachers scraps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies