Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 08:55 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I doubt that CNN's unnamed sources are correct, but if this is true, what would be wrong with that?

Legally? Nothing.

Morally? Oh yeah. I mean if supporting China crushing democracy and freedoms despite promising they wouldn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 08:57 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Because the US typically stands up for democracy and freedom abroad.

China is accelerating the communist grip of autocracy on Hong Kong and that is what their people are protesting against.

But Trump's actions as we've found out are never motivated by any kind of cohesive US foreign policy goal, they are about what benefits him and makes him look good.
Do we? Tell that to the Iranians who because of the USA was stuck with the brutal Dictator known as the Shah.

Tell that to the Vietnamese.

Tell that to all the countries we have interfered with..

No we stick up for regimes that we can manipulate.

We should not get involved in Hong Kong, it is an internal matter and none of our business. How many times do we need to relearn simple lessons?

Old 10-03-2019, 08:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
So, in other words, America first?

Old 10-03-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Legally? Nothing.

Morally? Oh yeah. I mean if supporting China crushing democracy and freedoms despite promising they wouldn't?
Morally? Not our problem and not our fight. Let Asia deal with an Asian problem. You do know that over here that is how the people feel? They are saying oh great, here we go again, The USA is going to get a bunch of us killed, again. Asians don't want us to get involved because they know it can blow up into something no one here wants.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:01 PM

1,137 posts, read 448,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
CNN reported tonight that Trump discussed Biden's political prospects as well as those of Sen. Elizabeth Warren during a phone call with Chinese President Xi Jinping on June 18, according to two people familiar with the discussion. In that call, Trump also told Xi he would remain quiet on Hong Kong protests as trade talks progressed.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...019/index.html

There's apparently no limit to Trump's sliminess.
So when we have protest over here should China start blabbing all over the news about it? Should they tell us how to handle our civil unrest issues? Should they mobilize troops to scare us? Should they enact new tariffs to punish us for the protest going on? I love critics like you who criticize either end of anything he does. If he got involved you would be calling him a reckless war monger. Tell me what his butting in could do except make matters worse and hurt our diplomatic relations with China?

If Trump said that, and I doubt it is actually true based on CNN's accuracy rate, I say so what? Will Trumps talking about it solve anything? I am glad to see him trying to further trade talks and staying out of China's civil unrest. What do you want him to do? Make threats to China? Send troops? Go to the UN and demand we all tell China how to handle the protesters? None of those do a thing except set talks back with China.

If Trump said it, which again I doubt, he was simply stating what he has no choice but to do. He can't do a thing about their protest; he knows it, China knows it and that pathetic excuse for a news channel CNN knows it.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So, in other words, America first?
I would say, "In other words not our fight and not our problem."

Old 10-03-2019, 09:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I doubt that CNN's unnamed sources are correct, but if this is true, what would be wrong with that?
Holy f**k, no wonder Trump got elected.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:04 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
CNN reported tonight that Trump discussed Biden's political prospects as well as those of Sen. Elizabeth Warren during a phone call with Chinese President Xi Jinping on June 18, according to two people familiar with the discussion. In that call, Trump also told Xi he would remain quiet on Hong Kong protests as trade talks progressed.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...019/index.html

There's apparently no limit to Trump's sliminess.
George Bush gave Most Favored Nation status to China, and no president since has reversed it. And this was after Tienanmen Square. So if you are upset with Trump here, there are four more presidents (including The Great Obaba) to vent your rage at.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:04 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Morally? Not our problem and not our fight. Let Asia deal with an Asian problem. You do know that over here that is how the people feel? They are saying oh great, here we go again, The USA is going to get a bunch of us killed, again. Asians don't want us to get involved because they know it can blow up into something no one here wants.
If it's not our circus and we have no involvement, then why did Trump pull the U.S. in by using it as leverage in trade talks? Why didn't he just "ignore", "overlook", "hear, see, and speak no evil"? Nope - using his silence as a club that he can decide to speak out against if he doesn't get whatever trade concessions he's going for.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
I don't get why Hong Kong doesn't pick up their guns and defend themselves? Oh that's right, if you ask politely democracy is given to you

Here is the thing about Dems, when they say "we" should do something they mean "they" should do something...or in other words, anyone but themselves. Here's an M16, go fight the good fight, ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies