Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 12:25 PM
nng

695 posts, read 289,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Rent increase FOR CITIZENS AND LEGAL RESIDENTS should either be capped around inflation + 5%, or give at least 3 months notice in order to raise it more than that.

It really sucks having rent go up 20-50% with no warning. People really shouldn't have to live in that type of anxiety if a mandatory notice period allows them to prepare ahead of time.

Illegals have no place in any rental. Why does AOC and her ilk always have to contaminate potentially decent ideas by forcibly including illegals?
Totally agree! Especially with the last paragraph. Democrats always put illegals first. Making housing affordable is a laudable goal. But AOC wants illegals to have benefits at expense of the American taxpayer. I wish democrats would put Americans first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 12:31 PM
nng

695 posts, read 289,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep and many legitimate Americans will suffer because democrats, especially blue dog democrats are very smart and support valid ideas that will help but then people like AOC muddy the waters with illegal immigration for all.

Rent is out of control and should have controls put on it but that is 100% separate issue from illegal immigration. As people's situations get worse and worse they might just vote in democrats anyways though because republicans could give a crap about anyone other than their special interest and lobbyists.

Remember, 60% of Americans are still making 20/hr or less. That's really all that should have to be said but because that does not compute with republicans then they all get to watch the fallout.

Its a chicken and egg thing. The govt has WAY too many regulations and taxes which hamper business BUT business (even when they are flush with cash and prosperity) in MOST cases choose to do the wrong thing (lay offs, consolidations, low pay, etc). So its probably going to end in totalitarianism, but no one can cry when people finally get fed up with companies crap pay and treatment.

The out I can think of is if the govt got rid of many agencies to see if more alturistic people would start businesses rather than morally bankrupt people. But alot of this boils down to having a court system that allows frivolus law suits and award amounts that are out of line with actual damages or people taking responsibility for themselves and their risk.

As a wannabe business owner I see 4 glaring problems:
1. Taxes at the small business level are out of control.
2. Insurance for anything but the most simple least creative, least lucrative business model is worse than the taxes.
3. Govt regulation just adds levels of complexity that run up costs that sometimes adds some value but not enough value to cover the costs.
4. Govt Allowance of corporate consolidation. Once a business gets huge they now have the power to do all sorts of complex schemes to drive you out of business (controlling supply chain, vendors, materials, getting special rates on shipping for their goods but you pay full price, the schemes are limitless in their variety and complexity and most of them don't involve simply building something better). Platform monopolies can also be brought into this, companies that provide a forum for an online market are great, until just a few dominate and can charge exorbitant amounts and start restricting all kinds of stuff based on whatever crap is in the owners head. Either you're a platform or your not. Anti Trust should have been used liberally to bust up companies decades ago (amazon starts doing weird crap like not allowing gun sales or magazines or gun parts or chemical sales, time to bust them up and then maybe one of the 8 companies they are busted up into can allow it. Maybe you don't like guns but it's a legitimate product that deserves to have a platform.

I should be able to make and sell whatever I want on the internet or provide whatever service I want without the threat of a lawsuit or some govt goon saying that they don't like the product because it's on some list of theirs and I get arrested.

The govt is the referee to make sure some fat hog company is not throwing around their weight around to put other people out of business by using artificial pricing (because they have the cash reserves to do it), etc. But this is the ONE area where govt does NOT enforce. We even have antitrust laws and nothing is done.
I totally agree with your post. Both republican and democratic parties are not for the American people. If republicans are going to sit on their behinds while wages remain stagnant, the price of healthcare keeps going up, housing remain expensive, university tuition remains too high etc, then maybe the desperate financially strapped American will have no choice but to vote for the big government democrats. At least the democrats pretend to care about issues like the high cost of housing and healthcare etc. democrats and republicans really don't care for the average American.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:37 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Wages are not stagnant, they are going up for the first time in a while though. Supply and Demand. More jobs than workers so companies have to pay more.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:37 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
I actually think state wide or city wide rent control in California and NYC would be a good thing. I think it is outrageous that you can have a good university degree like an engineering degree and still not be able to afford rent in NYC and California. If anything housing should be considered a human right for everybody in this country before anything else. Without housing, you can basically do nothing. This hypercapitalistic system in this country where only the rich can afford housing and deserve housing is not fair or moral IMO. We need radical solutions in this country. But I don't agree with AOC on giving welfare to illegals.
Last I checked, no one is chained to a particular location.
A person with “a good university degree like an engineering degree” should be able to make a living and afford rent any place where the cost of rents is acceptable to that person.

At minimum, if the goal is to live in NYC or some high cost of living California locations specifically
the person with the degree should be able to compromise regarding the living conditions- after all, a lot of struggling actors/artists, doormen and bellhops seem to be able to solve this dilemma.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:46 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
There are no real jobs anywhere near places that cheap. Those places are only for retirees or those who live off the land, like the Amish.
What is wrong with starting your own business?
Isn’t it one of the best achievements of the capitalism?

Old 10-06-2019, 12:56 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDann636 View Post
It’s clear we need a third party. I’m homeless (politically).
I’m with you. Both parties have gone crazy.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:57 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You agree with AOC? Are you prepared to pay exorbitant taxes in order for what that leftist loon wants to have happen? Wow...just...wow.
I don't get it either. Why would any American want to provide welfare to illegal aliens who have no business even being here? I won't hold my breath for a logical answer though.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:13 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
What is wrong with starting your own business?
Isn’t it one of the best achievements of the capitalism?
Something like 98% of small businesses fail. Its extremely risky if you're not already wealthy.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Wages are not stagnant, they are going up for the first time in a while though. Supply and Demand. More jobs than workers so companies have to pay more.
Using the supply and demand argument only gets you so far. The supply and demand argument works VERY well at higher rungs of Maslow's hierarchy but when things start to deteriorate down to the bottom rungs for at or above 60% of americans then people are going to want to leverage violence to remedy the situation.

They won't care that this one line intersects with this other line and thus my insulin, food, education, housing costs 85% of my McJob wages. They will vote to put a literal gun to your head and that's when supply and demand fall apart.

Sure this will mean that supplies of "insulin" (or insert critical good here) will be in short supply because greedy fat hogs won't be able to get filthy rich off the backs of the unfortunate but the totalitarian regime will ensure you also are not going to be enjoying a beach house in Cali either. Life will suck for everyone (other than a very very tinny tiny group in govt).

But who brought this on? The parent whos kid is dying of type 1 diabetes who was just laid off, the McJob worker who could care less because they are already in poverty and can't get out without taking on MASSIVE life-crippling debt in the hopes they are the chosen one when they get that piece of paper?

Or the fat hog capitalist who just can't help themselves to gouge people the absolute maximum they can?

Sure if only 5% of the burn outs and loosers were the ones making less than 20/hr then this whole thing would be a non argument. But thats not the case, the vast majority of americans are making peanuts. Are 60% of americans burned out druggies? I would wager money that they are not.

Go to the dept of labor site and look up pay, its eye opening and frieghtning because totalitarianism is comming if there are not some drastic changes.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:28 PM

18,439 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Is she nuts....

What good is welfare without a new Cadillac....for God's sake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies