U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:56 AM

38,258 posts, read 16,937,044 times

Advertisements

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., is promoting a new package of left-wing economic policies, including national rent control and expanding welfare to illegal immigrants across the country, as part of a massive new proposal aiming to achieve a “just society.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...aSL?li=BBnbfcL

Welfare for illegal aliens? They already get it through fraud and their anchor babies. I guess she just wants to expand it and to make it official now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:08 AM

4,253 posts, read 869,493 times
I actually like when she opens her idiotic mouth and shows voters how crazy the far-left become: "Vote for us, and we will raise your middle class taxes to give even more of your money who lied and cheated their way into this country!"

Old Today, 06:16 AM

11,608 posts, read 10,463,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., is promoting a new package of left-wing economic policies, including national rent control and expanding welfare to illegal immigrants across the country, as part of a massive new proposal aiming to achieve a “just society.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...aSL?li=BBnbfcL

Welfare for illegal aliens? They already get it through fraud and their anchor babies. I guess she just wants to expand it and to make it official now.
If the past is any indication of the future, she will have manipulated all the Dem candidates to adopt this stance. That should be good news for Republican candidates for years to come.

The people don't want this, and the moderates and independents will have no choice but to vote for Republicans. But the Democrats cant see past the edges of their bubble. She says something and the rest convince themselves that this is the stuff people want.

Old Today, 09:09 AM

14,502 posts, read 15,331,239 times
She's a gift that keeps on giving

Old Today, 09:12 AM

259 posts, read 37,063 times
It’s clear we need a third party. I’m homeless (politically).

Old Today, 11:04 AM
nng

258 posts, read 58,932 times
I actually think state wide or city wide rent control in California and NYC would be a good thing. I think it is outrageous that you can have a good university degree like an engineering degree and still not be able to afford rent in NYC and California. If anything housing should be considered a human right for everybody in this country before anything else. Without housing, you can basically do nothing. This hypercapitalistic system in this country where only the rich can afford housing and deserve housing is not fair or moral IMO. We need radical solutions in this country. But I don't agree with AOC on giving welfare to illegals.

Old Today, 11:20 AM

4,253 posts, read 869,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
I actually think state wide or city wide rent control in California and NYC would be a good thing. I think it is outrageous that you can have a good university degree like an engineering degree and still not be able to afford rent in NYC and California. If anything housing should be considered a human right for everybody in this country before anything else. Without housing, you can basically do nothing. This hypercapitalistic system in this country where only the rich can afford housing and deserve housing is not fair or moral IMO. We need radical solutions in this country. But I don't agree with AOC on giving welfare to illegals.
Except what about people who live in liberal sanctuary cities (like NYC and San Fran), and own property they rent out? The property taxes are through the roof, since the little illegal alien children cost a lot to educate, and they keep going up year after year. (My monthly escrow to taxes is HIGHER than my P and I.) So how can I be asked to keep my rents down when my own costs are going up?

You have to look at both sides of the equation. IF you are going to limit rent increases to 2% a year, then I want my property tax, utilities, and insurance all limited to 2% as well.

P.S. It's a little ridiculous to claim "only the rich can afford housing." Now maybe only the rich can afford a townhouse in the Upoer East Side or a fancy condo in downtown San Francisco, but who says all colleg grads with a good degree are entitled to live there? They can do what I did my entire life - work downtown but buy or rent in the suburbs.

Old Today, 11:32 AM

1,087 posts, read 389,442 times
I’m sorry but that is so damned Liberal! Here in Seattle property taxes are going thru the roof as Democratic politicians manage to ask for more and more of middle class citizens. Not all landlords are wealthy. Of course rents go up when property taxes climb! Duh.

And of course young Liberals are first in line to complain about rising rent costs. This is why folks dislike Liberals. Newsflash...if you as a Liberal enjoy supporting social causes, put your money where your mouth is and embrace higher rents. Fighting for rent control is extremely hypocritical.

Old Today, 11:38 AM

3,632 posts, read 2,617,632 times
the real scandal in Washington: tax-payer funded services for illegal,s driver's licences for illegals, illegals voting, etc.

And all these lefty ****bags can report is yet another phone attempt to reverse the 2016 election.

If Dems persist down these paths, as far as I am concerned, the republic is already finished, and the only thing left to do will be to declare my side int he inevitable civil war.

Old Today, 11:56 AM

15,876 posts, read 13,658,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Life is how you make it. If you can't make enough money to have a nice house or apartment in a blue state, then move to a Red State where the cost of living is much lower. There rent on a 3 bedroom house with central heating and air with two car garage can be found for around $900 to 1200 a month. Nice 1 bedroom apartments for not over $600. In other words, do your own rent cost control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or